Suns @ Clippers Wednesday WCF game thread 6-30-2021 - Game 6

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If the Suns can't find a way to win 1 game of 3 against the Clippers then they deserve to go home and that's that.

This team has gone through stretches where they look horrible all year long. They have broken out of the slumps and got incredibly hot once they find their rhythm. All it will take is one game for the ball movement, cutting to the basket, 3pt shooting, and defense to return, and they will blow the Clippers out.

Strongstyle

Rookie
Reaction score
There's so much pessimism in here. I know we didn't bring it last night, but this team always responds after getting shown up. No chance this broke their spirit and they don't come out fighting.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Suns can't find a way to win 1 game of 3 against the Clippers then they deserve to go home and that's that.
Yep. So now, it's just sit back, calm the nerves as much as possible and hope we see a team that comes out with some fury and fire in their bellies. If we would have pulled off that game yesterday with that performance it would have been fools gold. I want this team meshing completely before they advance. Just my opinion.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We closed out the Lakers in a game six on the road, and I expect the same for the Clippers. We are the best road record in the NBA, and seemingly play some of our best games all year on the road. Let's see how that plays out!

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I am really worried the the Clippers broke the Suns last night. I hope I am wrong, but I am not feeling optimistic.

I could see that. Perhaps a lot of self-doubt creeping in today during film session and practice.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing I have not seen that many people talk about. CP3. He doesn't look right. He looked like at times he couldn't dribble. Had the ball stolen and almost had several balls stolen throughout the game on his dribble His best game but many shots came up way short.

He almost looks like that first game back after the shoulder injury. He couldn't hold on to the ball while dribbling. He looks slow. IMO, either that shoulder is bothering him still or his Covid-19 being asymptomatic is total B.S. Did anybody see when he came out towards the end of the game how gassed he looked? He had his head down and his hands on his knees. He looked like he completely had no energy......you know a symptom of recovering from Covid.

Plus, I counted at least 5 times when he got to his spot and opted not to shoot it. Since when does Paul pass up shots? He did it multiple times which means he wasn't looking for his shot. Maybe it was because he was tired.

Either way....he doesn't look right.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could see that. Perhaps a lot of self-doubt creeping in today during film session and practice.

I’m hoping more anger at themselves than self doubt. We know we still haven’t played our best game of the series. The Clippers just played theirs.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing I have not seen that many people talk about. CP3. He doesn't look right. He looked like at times he couldn't dribble. Had the ball stolen and almost had several balls stolen throughout the game on his dribble His best game but many shots came up way short.

He simply doesn't look right. He almost looks like that first game back after the shoulder injury. IMO, either that should is bothering him still or his Covid-19 being asymptomatic is total B.S. Did anybody see when he came out towards the end of the game how gassed he looked? He had his head down and his hands on his knees. He looked like he completely had no energy......you know a symptom of recovering from Covid.

Plus, I counted at least 5 times when he got to his spot and opted not to shoot it. Since when does Paul pass up shots? He did it multiple times which means he wasn't looking for his shot. Maybe it was because he was tired.

Either way....he doesn't look right.

he definitely doesn’t look right.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
We closed out the Lakers in a game six on the road, and I expect the same for the Clippers. We are the best road record in the NBA, and seemingly play some of our best games all year on the road. Let's see how that plays out!
The Clippers are infinitely better than the Lakers and are playing with a ton of confidence. That Laker team was a dumpster fire after AD's injury.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
If they start small again (Even if Zubac plays, why wouldn't they)...... Put Cam in and bench Jae to the 2nd unit. When Ayton comes out...... they should match by bringing in Boogie or Zubac. Bring in Jae and have us go small with Craig.

I mean...... they have to go small again right? Even if Zubac plays.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
lol. You’ve been waiting for the Suns to collapse since Game 1 of the first round.

man... seeing so many people stop believing in this team at this point after seeing how resilient they’ve been all season is kinda funny to me. Lots of playoff PTSD here.

Love your emotion and passion Cheese... Trust me, if you were with me watching the games, you would not question my support for this team... just ask my wife!
However, I am able to keep this real and be objective. Try to find another team, that even remotely mirrors the Suns in terms of comprehensive lack of post-season experience, that has reached a Game 6 of a conference finals. It just doesn't happen and there are very logical reasons as to why that's the case.
That doesn't mean the Suns can't find it within themselves to defeat the Clippers, a team without their best player and now a their center who was putting up double-doubles each game he played.
But if the post-Covid CP3 is who we now have for games 6 and 7, I just don't see the rest of the team stepping up - enough, to overcome the far more experienced, savvy and mature Clippers. Can Ayton shrug off his first disappearing act last night? Book played very well last night and it wasn't even close to being enough. Bridges? Crowder? Payne? Saric? Nader/Craig? Possible I guess. But...

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
An absolute must we hit our 3s there going to keep playing zone crashing the paint and daring us to hit them.

I’m so impressed with Lue I thought he was a Lebron stuge but man he can coach he’s embarrassing Monty

I don’t want to see Nadar ahead of Craig at all if that happens then Monty has learned nothing

I agree with most of this, but not the Nadar hate.

I don't understand why Suns fans value Craig way over Nader, it's irrational. They are very similar quality players.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, I am on board with this. line up was weird. I felt like Monty should have done the opposite. Instead of taking out Paul and Payne, insuring Booker ball, Monty should have instructed everyone, including Booker to get the ball to Ayton.

I feel good about the series but if they don't adjust they are going to be eliminated.

Because he knows, just like I know, that will lead to a guarenteed loss.

Ayton is not Embid. He sucks in the post, and he sucks even more catching and not getting stripped in the post.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't understand why Suns fans value Craig way over Nader, it's irrational. They are very similar quality players.

because Craig is a much better defender, played quality minutes for Denver during there deep run in the playoffs last year and had given us great energy and defense during these playoffs now to bench him for an unproven guy who hasn’t played in 3 months is ridiculous.

no they are not the same.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I still completely believe this team is going to win the series. I also expected that the deeper we got into the playoffs the more of a dogfight it would become. The Suns are still in control of the series IMO. If they lose Game 6 I think as you stated it's a "pick em" series outcome.

I personally have not jumped off the cliff but I am sure as hell frustrated verses having playoff PTSD. I can't speak for anybody else. This team has fought back and came through all season long so I am going to believe this series is no different. Is there cause for concern? Hell yes but I still believe.
Yep, that's it. You've got people betting on the Clippers to advance here! That is beyond ridiculous.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because he knows, just like I know, that will lead to a guarenteed loss.

Ayton is not Embid. He sucks in the post, and he sucks even more catching and not getting stripped in the post.

Now Ayton sucks?

no there playing zone to stop him he catches the ball and 3 guys are there. They are flat out daring us to hit open 3s and we can’t do it

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

maybe it’s because for the last three months and throughout the playoff run Craig has been an integral part of the bench and to throw a monkey wrench into the rotation in the WCF doesn’t make a whole lot of sense... and hasn’t worked?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now Ayton sucks?

no there playing zone to stop him he catches the ball and 3 guys are there. They are flat out daring us to hit open 3s and we can’t do it

I’m not sure this is really the case. Prior to this game, stats were posted that we were down in three point attempts per game by a solid amount and that’s because the Clippers have closed out on our shooting wings and limited the open looks Bridges/Crowder/Cam have gotten. Those guys (sans Cam) aren’t hitting, but they’re also not getting the open looks either. Last night they seemed to swarm Ayton more and allow Book
And CP3 to shoot bad three point shots, but otherwise, they’ve been manning up for the most part.

and the post you responded to didn’t say “AYTON SUCKS!” It specifically said WHERE he sucks, which the poster believed was in post offense. Where he does still struggle. He’s great at rolling to the hoop and getting points off rebounding, but he’s not a dump it in the post player yet because his hands are still questionable and his confidence isn’t quite where it needs to be to run an offense through.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Do what we do, run our sets, and sink in. We can't let George/others continue to go run free to the rim, if that means packing the paint and have them beat us over the top, so be it. They had more than DOUBLE the points in the paint in game 5, which is just incredible considering no Zubac.

We need 2 of the big 3 to step up, and have Paul George not go nuts and go 10-12 in a half. We were the best road team the entire year, and just have to win one of the next two. The two games we've lost have been the two where our energy has been lacking. I'm betting we'll bring it at least one of the next two.

Go Suns!

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Welp if u want those money bags show up tom ayton!! And the right book hopefully

Not feeling confident vibes like after last win now

Contain george make morris beat u again

Fingers crossed.....

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welp if u want those money bags show up tom ayton!! And the right book hopefully

Not feeling confident vibes like after last win now

Contain george make morris beat u again

Fingers crossed.....

This is not on Ayton. Ayton doesn't have offensive plays called for him. He trails dribble penetration for 90% of his points. It's our guards. It's the lack of breaking down the zone. It's Monty. They have not figured out how to break this zone. The Suns guards are not getting to the line consistently which means dribble penetration isn't consistent. The mid-range has been interrupted. If Monty can figure that out Ayton will be fine.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose