Suns @ Bucks Tuesday Finals game thread 7-20-2021 - Game 6

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ayton doesn’t create the offensive sets and amd doesn’t call plays. This offense is not an inside out offense. It never has been. Everything runs through Paul and Booker with them setting up everyone else. Look up the Suns shot chart for the season.

That’s not how this team is built.
Watching the game tonight I saw at least three times there was a switch of Ayton with a small in the lane. Each time the guard looked to get the ball to him. Each time Ayton didn’t even try to establish position and allowed himself to get taken outta the lane by the small. The sets are there. He’s not making them work. Been the same all season. And last season. And the rookie season too.

AzCards777

Rookie
Reaction score
Exactly what we didnt need...a tough tough shooting night. Cp3 kept us in the game and props to him but we just needed more from the rest of the guys. Congrats to the Bucks but I am proud of our Suns! Ill never forget some of Booker's playoff performances and CP3's 40 pt effort to send us to the Finals. Hope we can get a rebounding PF and are able to resign Payne. Hell of a Year!

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ayton after the game: "Even though we lost it was still fun".

Sorry - that is just infuriating. It really seemed like he turned a corner earlier in the playoffs and now he's back to just bouncing around the court having fun

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score

Sorry - that is just infuriating. It really seemed like he turned a corner earlier in the playoffs and now he's back to just bouncing around the court having fun

I agree... that's not the thing you want to hear after that performance.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Those players also did it over the course of an entire seasons with offense built around them. That’s was supposed to change in the playoffs?!? You give Monty too much credit.
No. Most players improve in the offseason by working in their craft and bring it into the season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

oof.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Watching the game tonight I saw at least three times there was a switch of Ayton with a small in the lane. Each time the guard looked to get the ball to him. Each time Ayton didn’t even try to establish position and allowed himself to get taken outta the lane by the small. The sets are there. He’s not making them work. Been the same all season. And last season. And the rookie season too.

He had a run in the playoffs when he was taking advantage of those matchups and dunking on people aggressively. I have no idea what makes the kid tick but he completely lost that fire in the finals.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yiu know what happened more often? I watched the Suns throw a ball down to a guy who looked inexperienced on the block and hasn’t gotten a lot of reps down there all season long.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Next season?

He just finished his second full season. He kicked *** in the playoffs and was the team’s best player.

He’s already changed his game immensely in 3 years. I wouldn’t be surprised if his career evolves in a manner similar to Paulo George jimmy butler and Kawhi Leonard, great defensive players who became dominant on offense later on.
Third season. I hope you’re right. He’s physically talented to do so.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Can only say he only “22” for so long. He is who he is

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. Most players improve in the offseason by working in their craft and bring it into the season.
No that is only part of it. The other part comes from getting real game experience playing that role in that type of offense. When have the Suns been that tyoe of offense all season long?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That may be the issue with the coaching the Suns currently have, though. Is Bryant even doing that? Are the Suns insisting that Ayton does that kind of off-season work with a coach?

I don't know enough to say yay or nay, but I would hope the Suns would be insisting on that... and if Ayton is resisting it, laying down the law to him. That's definitely on the coaching if they aren't.
They’re not allowed to insist. It’s called the offseason for a reason. It’s on the player to have the drive to be the best. Think anyone has to push book? Nope.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

The mental part is obviously still a work on progress. YIKES!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ayton got in BS foul trouble in the two Scott foster games. How many of those 18 free throws came on plays where Giannis recklessly ran into Ayton?
While the didn’t call the contact same other end of court, Ayton did foul a lot. Not a ton of those calls I could question.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Yeah not the time for that comment. That’s a young guy failing to recognize he may never be back and blew a rare opportunity. Dan Marino said he always thought he’d get back to the super bowl but there’s no guarantees.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
While the didn’t call the contact same other end of court, Ayton did foul a lot. Not a ton of those calls I could question.
Maybe. The bucks deserved to win but there’s a damn fine line between 50 pt finals mvp performance and oops I have 4 fouls in the first half for continually running into people all over the floor.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Because he failed a drug test. That's 100% on him. No excuses.
Ok but it is an excuse. He couldn’t develop new moves cuz he didn’t play.

The league also shut down in March. I know, no excuse.