Suns 2019 GM/Front Office Search

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I'm surprised by how many of you think that the league wouldn't step in.

Maybe I'm wrong, hopefully we'll turn it around and we'll never have to know if I was right, but the 3 examples I gave, while not specific to our situation, also never had prior precedence either. The league has forced sales, forced management changes and even altered rules (see the "Stepien Rule") to protect terribly run franchises from themselves. If the Suns have yet another miserable season next year I honestly think the league will either force Sarver out or force Sarver to change the management structure of the franchise.

I think you are overestimating how bad the Suns are. Having several losing seasons while rebuilding is really not that unusual. What's happening to the Suns is normal. If not normal, then not very unusual.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you are overestimating how bad the Suns are. Having several losing seasons while rebuilding is really not that unusual. What's happening to the Suns is normal. If not normal, then not very unusual.
I think this is true. Our problem was that we did not start rebuilding soon enough. We should have started as soon as Nash was traded, but that first year under McD was fools gold and set us back.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I think this is true. Our problem was that we did not start rebuilding soon enough. We should have started as soon as Nash was traded, but that first year under McD was fools gold and set us back.

They half-assed the first rebuild attempt, though some of it wasn't their fault. That Dragic/ Bledsoe team over performed. Then they screwed up with drafting in a couple of drafts. This offseason is very important. They have got to find at least two legitimate NBA rotation players at PG and PF. I love the wing rotation, I think they are set at Center as well (I am very high on Ayton), but they really need help at PG and they have to have a bigger 4 when small ball doesn't work. That run they had while Johnson and Oubre were starting and everyone was healthy really gave me a lot of hope for next year.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm surprised by how many of you think that the league wouldn't step in.

Maybe I'm wrong, hopefully we'll turn it around and we'll never have to know if I was right, but the 3 examples I gave, while not specific to our situation, also never had prior precedence either. The league has forced sales, forced management changes and even altered rules (see the "Stepien Rule") to protect terribly run franchises from themselves. If the Suns have yet another miserable season next year I honestly think the league will either force Sarver out or force Sarver to change the management structure of the franchise.

What needs to happen for the league not to get involved, in your opinion? Surely there is a measure for success. Is it the playoffs? If that's it then why hasn't the league stepped in and made Sacramento take on new management? Their drought is longer than ours? You can even compare this season of theirs to our Bledsoe/Dragic year where we won 48 games. Rumors have started the Kings are going to fire their coach, which will likely set them back and kill the progress they made this year. Will the league tell them they can't? Why or why not?

That's the problem with thinking the league will step in, there are worse teams out there when it comes to playoff droughts so the measure for success is difficult to label. The reasons you mentioned are so different from the Suns situation though that you not seeing the differences is really amazing to me. A racist owner disparaging his own players, a team openly admitting they aren't trying to win, and a team that fell so far in debt the league had to take over to keep them from going bankrupt are not close to a team with an owner who makes bad decisions and can't get out of his own way.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
My guess is that Jones is the Suns' de facto President of Basketball Operations just like McD was once Babby left.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
hope, and no real change for a team going in the wrong direction. not happy.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gina Mizell‏Verified account @ginamizell 3m3 minutes ago
Official: #Suns promote James Jones to general manager, hire Jeff Bower as senior VP of basketball operations and retain cap guru Trevor Bukstein as assistant GM. Bower and Bukstein will report to Jones.

So the hiring of Bower is a hoax meant to deceive the fans. It's still a ridiculously inexperienced and ill-prepared Jones at the top, which really means it is Sarver still making the decisions. We're screwed.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So the hiring of Bower is a hoax meant to deceive the fans. It's still a ridiculously inexperienced and ill-prepared Jones at the top, which really means it is Sarver still making the decisions. We're screwed.

well, i'd put it this way
the Bower hiring and Fitz being there for it seems more of a symbolic move for show rather than an indication of any change -- effectively putting lipstick on a turd

at best, Jones should be just part of the team. He has not earned any decision making power for an NBA franchise, and probably still doesn't have it, and that's the way Sarver wants it. SOS

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the Bower hiring and Fitz being there for it seems more of a symbolic move for show rather than an indication of any change -- effectively putting lipstick on a turd

at best, Jones should be just part of the team. He has not earned decision making power for an NBA franchise, and probably still doesn't have it, and that's the way Sarver wants it. SOS

kinda got the same feeling. i mean... how weak of a candidate or job market was there for a two time GM to have to take a subordinate position to Jones, who has no business whatsoever being the GM of any team that actually cares about winning.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
When is the last time we made the playoffs?

Saying several losing seasons is downplaying the situation.

Why condone that? Fans have a right to expect better.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

at best, Jones should be just part of the team. He has not earned any decision making power for an NBA franchise, and probably still doesn't have it, and that's the way Sarver wants it. SOS
SOS-DS. *** - Different Season. For a decade. :thumbdown

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When is the last time we made the playoffs?

Saying several losing seasons is downplaying the situation.

Why condone that? Fans have a right to expect better.

NOBODY is condoning that. Why do you always assume that people are condoning the actions of the team? What choice do we have in the matter? We could all quit watching and by not doing so you are condoning their actions, so am I since I'm still a fan and will continue to follow them.

You can expect better but again, your expectations mean nothing. Why do you believe fan expectations matter?

Errntknght

Reaction score
How many minutes did Sarver take to strip his new appointee of all power?

Last edited:

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
hey, maybe the conciliatory soothsayers are right
everything's fine -- Larry Fitzgerald was there

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I look at the Bowers hire as basically two things. He lightens the GM load for James Jones and he upgrades the Suns public image.

Personally I was content to go forward with James Jones after the moves he made last season (Crawford, Oubre and Johnson) but he needed someone in the front office to help with other aspects of the job. I'm hopeful Crawford will be better than McDonough in evaluating talent and player relations.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard