Sun Devil Baseball 2017

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to an article written by Jeff Metcalfe at azcentral which talks about the departure of players from the ASU baseball team. This is an addition to Ronin's post above.

This season has been especially disappointing.

ASU baseball coach Tracy Smith has four years left on his contract

Five players have departed the program this week. Sophomore pitchers Zach Dixon and Chris Isbell left after being told they would not be on the travel squad for the final month of the season and likely would have a limited role next season. Dixon pitched in five games this season with three starts and Isbell had four relief appearances.

Anderson said he "unequivocally" supports third-year coach Tracy Smith.

"Our head coach is doing everything the right way and has this program on the correct trajectory," Anderson said. "We expected rough spots, and those are occurring. We are going to continue to navigate our way through to a very bright future with Tracy as our head coach."

Dan Dixon, whose son Zach is one of the departed players, said that "there is lots of turmoil and conflict" on the team.

"It wasn't like this at all last year," Dan Dixon said. "They're letting these guys go left and right and destroying whole premise of the team."

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...-hosts-stanford-softball-hosts-cal/308620001/

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
It's been a very disappointing season. :(

I was excited about the hiring of the new coach, so hopefully they can finish strong this season and build on it next year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been a very disappointing season. :(

I was excited about the hiring of the new coach, so hopefully they can finish strong this season and build on it next year.

I can't help but wonder about the head coach but I am far away from the program. Hopefully this season is just a bump in the road.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Will Smith last much longer? I can't understand why ASU has fallen to this point. They should be killing recruiting and Smith led IU no back to back CWS so we know he can coach...I just don't get it.

chickenhead

Reaction score
My understanding is that Smith lacks regional connections for recruiting. Maybe towards the end of his contract he'll have them but that's a long time to wait. I'm with the crowd that thinks Murphy should be the coach.

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
My understanding is that Smith lacks regional connections for recruiting. Maybe towards the end of his contract he'll have them but that's a long time to wait. I'm with the crowd that thinks Murphy should be the coach.

Do you mean that he should still be the coach or that they should bring him back?

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

Bet he is happy as a bench coach for Milwaukee.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smith has recruited well, at least according to internet rankings (5th on Perfect Game last year) but all these sudden dismissals are just weird.

lacostejapan

Reaction score
It's looking more and more like that 11-7 scrimmage "loss" to JUCO CAC this past fall was more of predictor of things to come than a wait and see what unfolds.

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
It's looking more and more like that 11-7 scrimmage "loss" to JUCO CAC this past fall was more of predictor of things to come than a wait and see what unfolds.

Welcome to the board!

Pretty cool that your first post is on ASU baseball. :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort