Summer trades?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless the Suns could extend Leonard, they shouldn't trade their draft capital for him. He would likely only be a rental as he has a player option after next season. No way I throw in Jackson in the trade. If Leonard walks after next season, the Suns would have to start all over.

Also I couldn't stomach helping the Spurs rebuild.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
OK. Here is sacrilege. Why is Booker so much more valuable than Jackson? Jackson plays two ways and he is only a rookie. Jackson is arguably very close in value to Booker. We ought not trade either one of those guys.

We have a core of two. We are about to add a third player in the draft. Depending on who we draft, we need to then add a quality pg or a defensive center. We probably need to bring in a veteran pf. While I like the potential of Chriss and Bender, we are going to probably have to decide on which one we want to keep this summer. We cannot afford to have two projects like that. They will keep one another from developing. We need a quality vet pf.

I think it's important to agree on how good Leonard is. Jackson. In my view, he is THE best two-way player in the NBA and is easily top-5 overall player in the NBA. Possibly top-3, along with James and Durant. He is definitely a better fit next to Booker than next to Jackson.

Booker also has three years in the league, and we know his floor, at least. Jackson may end up being a better overall player, but right now, Booker is head and shoulders above Jackson.

All that said, I am concerned with his situation. Nobody in their right mind forces their way out of San Antonio. If it really gets to that point, that's a huge red flag to me.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kawhi has yet to play a full season. He always gets banged up and misses time. I'd still trade JJ and filler for him.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
OK. Here is sacrilege. Why is Booker so much more valuable than Jackson? Jackson plays two ways and he is only a rookie. Jackson is arguably very close in value to Booker. We ought not trade either one of those guys.

We have a core of two. We are about to add a third player in the draft. Depending on who we draft, we need to then add a quality pg or a defensive center. We probably need to bring in a veteran pf. While I like the potential of Chriss and Bender, we are going to probably have to decide on which one we want to keep this summer. We cannot afford to have two projects like that. They will keep one another from developing. We need a quality vet pf.

If you have to trade your best young player to get another player you shouldn't be making a trade. Sure Jackson looks like he has great potential but Booker is currently the best player. You've lost touch with the fact that Booker is a killer. He's one of the rare players that rises to that next level under intense pressure. We don't get to see that very often watching the current crap show.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Say we draft #1 and get Ayton, the later picks won't get us in range to draft someone like Young so should we trade them for Kemba Walker or use them on the best PG available, be it Sexton, Shai, or Troy Brown. I think I'd rather go young but I could see the Suns looking to make a splash in an attempt to get them to the playoffs and adding Ayton and Kemba might do it. It would be more likely than Ayton and a rookie PG who isn't Young or Doncic.

JRakes

Reaction score
Any player the suns could trade for would not help....Deandre Jordan-Pass...Tristan Kardashian-Lord no....Kawi-would cost too much and he will bolt--

The only trade the suns should be thinking about is Picks 15&16 to potentially move up as high as possible in this years draft.

Grab Ayton/Bagley depending on if we can manage to continue losing, I think our only win-able game is the kings. Then take your pick of Sexton-Young-Shai

Do not spend big money on big poop like aaron gordon, capela,Favors, etc....Keep the powder dry...There is not one decent FA on the market who would go to the suns.

Build around Ayton/Bagley, Drafted PG, Booker, Jackson...

Bring in some vets on 1-2 year deals, not the fat man dudley special, and go from there...

However, I also get a sneaking suspicion that if we get the #1 pick and take Ayton, he will be another Sam Bowie/Greg Oden.....or if we try to predict he will bust so we take bagley, then ayton will be a superstar on another team---sums up suns franchisee to a tee

Bottom line, all we can do is hope for another sub 20 win season after next year and then try and make a move

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Bottom line, all we can do is hope for another sub 20 win season after next year and then try and make a move
I'd say welcome to the site, JR, but your advocating still another year of planned losing will drive away whatever nucleus we have while hoping to luck out and add a talented youngster.

Pre-plan a ninth consecutive season of missing the playoffs? Seriously, what team do you root for? I've been a Suns fans since the early '70's.

Even our chief tanking advocate said recently that he would not call for it next season.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'd say welcome to the site, JR, but your advocating still another year of planned losing will drive away whatever nucleus we have while hoping to luck out and add a talented youngster.

Pre-plan a ninth consecutive season of missing the playoffs? Seriously, what team do you root for? I've been a Suns fans since the early '70's.

Even our chief tanking advocate said recently that he would not call for it next season.
I will not

Good Guy

Reaction score
Kawhi would worry me. He seems disgruntled with the Spurs, the most stable franchise in the NBA, so I can't imagine what would happen if the Suns, who have been in disarray since 2010, were to give up assets for him.

As for trades, I like the idea of packaging Warren with the mid-first picks to move up but otherwise I think we should focus on adding veterans/stability through FA.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Back to the idea of summer trades. It will all depend on what we do in the draft but here are some thoughts on point guards

1. Kemba Walker. Kemba would provide a veteran presence but has flaws in his game. He is the best option on a bad team and may be overrated.
  2. Rozier or Smart. I think both of these players are underrated playing behind Kyrie. Smart would be especially interesting if we take a big in the draft. He is one of the better defensive pg's in the league. Rozier is a solid, solid player. But do they look better just because of coaching?
  3. Shroder. I just don't trust him. I am not sure what it is.
  4. CJ McCollum. He might be attainable based upon people who understand Portland's cap woes. But he is not really a pg.
  5. Reggie Jackson. Just too much dough for the play.
In free agency, the only players available are: CP3 (not going anywhere), Elfrid (we know), Tony Parker, Rajon Rondo, Milos Teodosic. Options are thin.

If we can't get Walker, Rozier, or Smart, Brandon Knight might be our best option (besides drafting a pg).

Based upon this, I expect the Suns to extend a QO to Payton, but rescind it right away if the money is needed to sign someone else. They need to draft a potential starting pg regardless.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Back to the idea of summer trades. It will all depend on what we do in the draft but here are some thoughts on point guards

1. Kemba Walker. Kemba would provide a veteran presence but has flaws in his game. He is the best option on a bad team and may be overrated.
  2. Rozier or Smart. I think both of these players are underrated playing behind Kyrie. Smart would be especially interesting if we take a big in the draft. He is one of the better defensive pg's in the league. Rozier is a solid, solid player. But do they look better just because of coaching?
  4. CJ McCollum. He might be attainable based upon people who understand Portland's cap woes. But he is not really a pg.
In free agency, the only players available are: CP3 (not going anywhere), Elfrid (we know), Tony Parker, Rajon Rondo, Milos Teodosic. Options are thin.

If we can't get Walker, Rozier, or Smart, Brandon Knight might be our best option (besides drafting a pg).

Based upon this, I expect the Suns to extend a QO to Payton, but rescind it right away if the money is needed to sign someone else. They need to draft a potential starting pg regardless.
Smart is not a pg. that was his hopeful projection when he came out in the draft but has proven wrong. Rozier is intriguing but I’d be shocked if Ainge let him go. Also, in case anyone is watching, it seems dubious thinking you’re going to win a trade with Ainge these days.

Kemba intrigues me but as an addition. In other words, I don’t want to sacrifice any of our core (Booker jackson or this year’s rookie) for him. If he could be got with future draft picks and bender/chriss/warren type assets then I think I’d greenlight it.

I would be surprised if Schroeder was available. Again I’m not keen on sacrificing assets for him.

McCollum isn’t a pg.

Reggie is a no.

Tony Parker would be an interesting vet presence to guide a young talented team but I see no way he doesn’t retire a spur.

Paul is a pipe dream.

Rondo is likely a negative influence on a young squad which is too bad because his strengths (distributor and defense) are what this squad needs from a leadership perspective.

Teodosic is intriguing.

Knight is a nightmare scenario.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I like Walker the best depending if the Suns will be able to keep him after next season. I'm not sure what the Hornets would want in trade. I do not like the idea of a rental.

I think @ColdPickleNachos is a fan (if I recall correctly) so we have some support there. :wink2:

Smart and Rozier are not good shooters and Rozier does not get many assists. So I think will pass on them.

I share your feelings about the other players.

I'd be satisfied if the Suns draft a PG (even with a later pick), with Knight, Ulis, Harrison and perhaps even Canaan in the wings.

I think Payton might be too costly to keep because of his salary cap hold of $10 million. I suspect the Suns will need the money and Payton has not distinguished him self with the Suns. I do think Payton could take steps to improve his value though.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I like Walker the best depending if the Suns will be able to keep him after next season. I'm not sure what the Hornets would want in trade. I do not like the idea of a rental.

I think @ColdPickleNachos is a fan (if I recall correctly) so we have some support there. :wink2:

Smart and Rozier are not good shooters and Rozier does not get many assists. So I think will pass on them.

I share your feelings about the other players.

I'd be satisfied if the Suns draft a PG (even with a later pick), with Knight, Ulis, Harrison and perhaps even Canaan in the wings.

I think Payton might be too costly to keep because of his salary cap hold of $10 million. I suspect the Suns will need the money and Payton has not distinguished him self with the Suns. I do think Payton could take steps to improve his value though.
He is shooting nearly 40% taking 5 threes a game. He is certainly a good shooter.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
I don't trust the value of Spurs players. I firmly believe if you put Parker or Ginobili in their prime on any other team they are average players (actually they might be worse). Leonard looks good, but he's also playing for the GOAT HC. Add in his injuries and I'm beyond skeptical. I'd give up this year's first if we could work out his contract, but asking for more is asking too much.

Did we just gloss over the Anthony Davis possibility? I'd sell the farm for that guy. They can have all the 18 year old prospects they want (which is all we're getting in the draft). Give me a veteran star so we can FINALLY start winning. Trade Chriss, Bender, Warren, #1 Overall, #15 and #16, next year's 1st. Go get a star. If we could possibly start a team with Booker, Jackson, and Davis... now we're talking.

Yes, I know he's Anthony Day-to-day-vis. But 68 games a season isn't that far off from other stars who take breaks (in this new disgusting era).

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't trust the value of Spurs players. I firmly believe if you put Parker or Ginobili in their prime on any other team they are average players (actually they might be worse). Leonard looks good, but he's also playing for the GOAT HC. Add in his injuries and I'm beyond skeptical. I'd give up this year's first if we could work out his contract, but asking for more is asking too much.

Did we just gloss over the Anthony Davis possibility? I'd sell the farm for that guy. They can have all the 18 year old prospects they want (which is all we're getting in the draft). Give me a veteran star so we can FINALLY start winning. Trade Chriss, Bender, Warren, #1 Overall, #15 and #16, next year's 1st. Go get a star. If we could possibly start a team with Booker, Jackson, and Davis... now we're talking.

Yes, I know he's Anthony Day-to-day-vis. But 68 games a season isn't that far off from other stars who take breaks (in this new disgusting era).

you're not getting Davis without Jackson and this year's 1st. That's the baseline for any deal for a young generational talent like that.

and I'd probably do it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose