Summer trades?

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
you're not getting Davis without Jackson and this year's 1st. That's the baseline for any deal for a young generational talent like that.

and I'd probably do it.
I agree. However, they might be lured into taking our next 3 available #1's plus players without taking Josh or Book. IF we actually land the #1 pick in a DEEP draft, that would be a heck of a bargaining chip.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Back to the idea of summer trades. It will all depend on what we do in the draft but here are some thoughts on point guards

1. Kemba Walker. Kemba would provide a veteran presence but has flaws in his game. He is the best option on a bad team and may be overrated.
  2. Rozier or Smart. I think both of these players are underrated playing behind Kyrie. Smart would be especially interesting if we take a big in the draft. He is one of the better defensive pg's in the league. Rozier is a solid, solid player. But do they look better just because of coaching?
  3. Shroder. I just don't trust him. I am not sure what it is.
  4. CJ McCollum. He might be attainable based upon people who understand Portland's cap woes. But he is not really a pg.
  5. Reggie Jackson. Just too much dough for the play.
In free agency, the only players available are: CP3 (not going anywhere), Elfrid (we know), Tony Parker, Rajon Rondo, Milos Teodosic. Options are thin.

For the sake of completeness, Jrue Holiday should be included, even if he's an undesirable option.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
you're not getting Davis without Jackson and this year's 1st. That's the baseline for any deal for a young generational talent like that.

and I'd probably do it.
And why would Davis even be available?

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Smart is not a pg. that was his hopeful projection when he came out in the draft but has proven wrong. Rozier is intriguing but I’d be shocked if Ainge let him go. Also, in case anyone is watching, it seems dubious thinking you’re going to win a trade with Ainge these days.

Kemba intrigues me but as an addition. In other words, I don’t want to sacrifice any of our core (Booker jackson or this year’s rookie) for him. If he could be got with future draft picks and bender/chriss/warren type assets then I think I’d greenlight it.

I am a fan. If we can add him without giving up the top pick, Jackson, or Booker he is imho the perfect target. I like that he's relatively young. I like that he's a volume 3 point shooter with solid efficiency, and I think he's a winner. I know he hasn't won that much in Charlotte, but who would with that roster? The Suns need motivated, hungry players with a swagger, and I think Walker fits that bill perfectly.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Interesting note:

The only player in the ENTIRE NBA who has made more 3-pointers this year than Kemba Walker is James Harden.

Harden shoots a little under 37%.

Walker shoots a little over 39%.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a fan. If we can add him without giving up the top pick, Jackson, or Booker he is imho the perfect target. I like that he's relatively young. I like that he's a volume 3 point shooter with solid efficiency, and I think he's a winner. I know he hasn't won that much in Charlotte, but who would with that roster? The Suns need motivated, hungry players with a swagger, and I think Walker fits that bill perfectly.

Yeah... if we got him without losing a single member of our core (Book/Jackson/2018 Pick) i’d say it’s a pretty solid pickup and get me even more juiced for next season.

If Kemba is your best player, your team is screwed. As your fourth best player (assuming the lotto pick turns into a star), you’re team is probably pretty damn good.

How old is he?

Hmmm... almost 28. i wish he was a little younger and had better assists numbers. And he will probably cost a fortune when extended. Makes me rethink a little bit. This team won’t pay four guys Max deals and we’re all hoping Jax and this year’s pick will be worth that. Then again, by the time this year’s pick can get that Max, Walkers contract might be up.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd be ok with trading for Kemba so long as the Suns don't get stuck taking back Batum's contract. I wouldn't mind taking Marvin Williams with him but Batum is making almost $75 million over the next 3 years. Even if Knight were included in a deal for Walker and Batum I'd be hesitant, that has to be one of the ugliest contracts in the league. He's not that bad of a player but no way is he worth that sort of money. Teams really went nuts spending their cap space once the cap blew up, glad that the Suns weren't one of them.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kemba max. Booker max. Jackson max eventually. Yikes.

I like Kemba, but he is not a max player I don't think.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Kemba max. Booker max. Jackson max eventually. Yikes.

I like Kemba, but he is not a max player I don't think.
If he gets the Wall contract he would not be getting a max deal. Around 18m per year is what it would be and that is less than 18% of the cap. I could easily stomach him getting that contract. It would also be coming off the books around the time that Jackson and our next pick will be coming up for extensions.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If he gets the Wall contract he would not be getting a max deal. Around 18m per year is what it would be and that is less than 18% of the cap. I could easily stomach him getting that contract. It would also be coming off the books around the time that Jackson and our next pick will be coming up for extensions.

Wall is owed 140 mil over four years starting next year.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
OKC gets swept in the first round, Paul George leaves and the Suns trade their entire draft + for Russel Westbrook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OKC gets swept in the first round, Paul George leaves and the Suns trade their entire draft + for Russel Westbrook.

Even without Paul George, Westbrook has a better supporting cast there than we can supply especially if we give away our draft picks. If they can't get out of the first round with those stars and support players, why would we want to give away our future to travel a similar path? More importantly, I want no part of a 5 year, $246M contract. IMO, the only player that might possibly be worth that much of a team's cap is Lebron in his prime.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Even without Paul George, Westbrook has a better supporting cast there than we can supply especially if we give away our draft picks. If they can't get out of the first round with those stars and support players, why would we want to give away our future to travel a similar path? More importantly, I want no part of a 5 year, $246M contract. IMO, the only player that should get that much of a team's cap is Lebron in his prime.
You’re probably right about everything but I would like to see Westbrook, Booker and Jackson on the court together. IMO that trio is more interesting than the current OKC trifecta.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
You’re probably right about everything but I would like to see Westbrook, Booker and Jackson on the court together. IMO that trio is more interesting than the current OKC trifecta.

Carmelo is an anchor!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Westbrook is a lot of fun to watch (as are Booker and Jackson) but his salary along with his trade kicker make him a tough player to build around. Booker won't get anywhere near that and I'm concerned whether we'll be able to build a championship contender with him pulling in 25M+. IMO, this max and super max era is going to make salary management every bit as important as scouting, developing and coaching.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So dame is gonna be super pissed when they lose this series. He was unhappy this season. I was on the Trade machine and it works.

Phoenix gets:
Dame Dollar

Portland gets:
Chandler
Josh Jackson
Chriss
Bender
+ Miami and Miluwakee picks

This is if you get the first pick and draft Ayton. I think that's more than a fair trade.

Booker
Lillard
Warren
Whoever
Ayton

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phoenix gets:
Dame Dollar

Portland gets:
Chandler
Josh Jackson
Chriss
Bender

This is if you get the first pick and draft Ayton. I think that's more than a fair trade.

Booker
Lillard
Warren
Whoever
Ayton

No thanks. I'm not sure I'd trade Josh for Damian straight up. Jackson may never become the impact player that Lillard is but he has a chance to become a true 2 way star and I wouldn't give that away for any second tier star right now.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
So dame is gonna be super pissed when they lose this series. He was unhappy this season. I was on the Trade machine and it works.

Phoenix gets:
Dame Dollar

Portland gets:
Chandler
Josh Jackson
Chriss
Bender

I like Lillard, but that's an overpayment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard