Summer trades?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So. What quality players do you think will be on the trading block this summer? Last summer it was CP, PG, Melo, Kyrie.

Just a few that I think will be available.

DeAndre Jordan
Drummond
Tristian Thompson

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
So. What quality players do you think will be on the trading block this summer? Last summer it was CP, PG, Melo, Kyrie.

Just a few that I think will be available.

DeAndre Jordan
Drummond
Tristian Thompson
Would love either of Jordan or Drummond if we don’t get Ayton in the draft. A haul of Doncic/JJJ/MPJ and Drummond/Jordan would be really nice.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's a link to see where everyone stands in regards to salary cap spending. There are a lot of teams that are over the cap and nearing luxury tax territory. The salary cap should be around $105 million with the luxury tax line around $130 million with a cap that high. The Rockets, Cavaliers, Thunder, Pelicans, Spurs, Lakers, Warriors, Wizards, Raptors, and Jazz all spending over $124 million, so they'll be very close to the luxury tax if not over the line. Those teams that aren't legit title contenders will be looking to free up salary space. There's no point in paying the tax for 1st round exits.

Of course the Pelicans are really intriguing because they have to resign Cousins. It's been rumored they may decide to build around Cousins and trade Davis for assets to put around him. They'd be able to build a better team going that route than trading Cousins for pieces to surround Davis. They also have Jrue Holiday making big money but since we have Payton, I wouldn't go near him in a trade. I'm not saying they'll move Davis for sure but if they put out any signals they'll entertain offers the Suns need to jump all over that with anyone available not named Booker. He's one of the few players I'd trade our pick, Jackson, Chriss, and other filler for.

The Raptors are another team I could see making a big move. If they made Jonas Valanciunas available I think he could be a good fit if we don't get Ayton. Definitely more realistic than Anthony Davis also. He's signed for next season and then has a player option for the 2019/20 season and is making $16.5 million a year. Chandler and either the Miami or Milwaukee pick would take about $4 million off of their books, which may be the difference in whether they're paying luxury tax or receiving some.

Gorgui Dieng may be available also with Wiggins extension kicking in for Minnesota. They'll be close to luxury tax territory and his extension kicked in this season. He's got 3 years left of the 4 year/$64 million dollar extension he signed left. He's been coming off the bench for them since they signed Taj Gibson last offseason. I don't think he would cost much in a trade either. That's another Center option depending on how the draft goes.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/cap/2018/

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John Gambadoro adds his thoughts.

John Gambadoro‏Verified account@Gambo987

Everyone focusing on Kawhi Leonard and if he’d leave San Antonio - let’s say he would and no one knows - Suns would likely have to offer Josh Jackson, their #1 this year plus an additional first rounder - steep price

1:15 PM - 23 Mar 2018

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Oof that's a lot. I would do Warren, 2 firsts and absorb back any unwanted contracts they had, but it's hard to give up Jackson with Leonard's injury troubles this year and contract option.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Our first and Jackson is off limits. What does that number 2 guy give us? Not a title. Not a future. We're too young and lacking direction. Him and Booker does not lead us to the finals. I doubt McD and Saver can build a team around them and pay an actual coach to make them win 60 plus games.

Booker, Jackson and our first is our core. Get a coach and some decent veterans on the team. Then maybe they can win 40, 50, sign a star and really compete. I don't know...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our first and Jackson is off limits. What does that number 2 guy give us? Not a title. Not a future. We're too young and lacking direction. Him and Booker does not lead us to the finals. I doubt McD and Saver can build a team around them and pay an actual coach to make them win 60 plus games.

Booker, Jackson and our first is our core. Get a coach and some decent veterans on the team. Then maybe they can win 40, 50, sign a star and really compete. I don't know...

This is much the way I view it as well. Plus the Suns might be able to pull off a significant trade this summer.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Agree with above. I have no interest at all in Leonard for what SA would likely be asking. I assume best case scenario for any Leonard trade would leave us with Booker + Kawhi + assortment of crap roster and depleted draft future. All just to be another version of what Portland essentially is right now. No thanks.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Only Booker is untouchable. If Kawhi would agree to a max extension I would trade our next best assets for him. If not you obviously can’t risk trading assets for him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sports Illustrated ran a piece about Kawhi's issues with the Spurs. Not sure what to make of what's happening there with him but the more issues there are the less I'd be inclined to give up a lot of assets to bring him in. It's just a very odd situation that is going on in San Antonio and I'm not sure the Suns could make him happy by trading for him. He'd go from a perennial contender to one of the worst teams in the league. He wo

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/03/23/k...an-antonio-spurs-gregg-popovich-manu-ginobili

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Only Booker is untouchable. If Kawhi would agree to a max extension I would trade our next best assets for him. If not you obviously can’t risk trading assets for him.

OK. Here is sacrilege. Why is Booker so much more valuable than Jackson? Jackson plays two ways and he is only a rookie. Jackson is arguably very close in value to Booker. We ought not trade either one of those guys.

We have a core of two. We are about to add a third player in the draft. Depending on who we draft, we need to then add a quality pg or a defensive center. We probably need to bring in a veteran pf. While I like the potential of Chriss and Bender, we are going to probably have to decide on which one we want to keep this summer. We cannot afford to have two projects like that. They will keep one another from developing. We need a quality vet pf.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
OK. Here is sacrilege. Why is Booker so much more valuable than Jackson? Jackson plays two ways and he is only a rookie. Jackson is arguably very close in value to Booker. We ought not trade either one of those guys.

We have a core of two. We are about to add a third player in the draft. Depending on who we draft, we need to then add a quality pg or a defensive center. We probably need to bring in a veteran pf. While I like the potential of Chriss and Bender, we are going to probably have to decide on which one we want to keep this summer. We cannot afford to have two projects like that. They will keep one another from developing. We need a quality vet pf.

Jackson is a garbage jump shooter and that will always limit his ceiling. If Booker becomes ‘passable’ defender he will be considered an elite player down the road. For the specific Kawhi argument you couldn’t put a better fit next to Booker on the wing.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I like the potential of Chriss and Bender, we are going to probably have to decide on which one we want to keep this summer. We cannot afford to have two projects like that. They will keep one another from developing. We need a quality vet pf.

I don't really see any urgency here unless some team wants to overpay to get one of them. They are both position-less basketball players. Bender is equally proficient at the 4 and the 5 which is to say he can't play either position. And Chriss is even more versatile, he's capable of playing poorly at the 3, the 4 and the 5.

I'd love to trade either or both but I don't see what it gains us to give them away. If there's some locker room issues, then fine, dump one of them but otherwise...

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't really see any urgency here unless some team wants to overpay to get one of them. They are both position-less basketball players. Bender is equally proficient at the 4 and the 5 which is to say he can't play either position. And Chriss is even more versatile, he's capable of playing poorly at the 3, the 4 and the 5.

I'd love to trade either or both but I don't see what it gains us to give them away. If there's some locker room issues, then fine, dump one of them but otherwise...
I agree with everything you said except that I believe that the "tease level" with both of them is going to be distracting. Neither one of them should be starting. If this team is going to really compete next year, we need a veteran presence in the starting lineup and that will likely be a pf.

I view them kind of like the plants in your garden. You plant a number of seeds, but eventually you have thin the new plants some so others have room to grow.

We will see.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So... here's a crazy idea. What if we get the number 1 pick... and Kawai really tries to push his way out of SA.

Is there a scenario where we try to go SUPER-TEAM. Trade the #1 pick/15/16/next year's... for Kawai.

Then, with Booker, Kawai, Jackson on the team... go after...

LEBRON.

Hell... I might even throw Jackson in there if we got assurances under the table from LeBron he'd come here to round out a Big 3 of Booker/Kawai/LeBron? That team could probably attract some other FA to round out the club, while hoping that guys like Chriss/Bender could then just be role players on the club.

Crazy... or crazy like a fox?!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So... here's a crazy idea. What if we get the number 1 pick... and Kawai really tries to push his way out of SA.

Is there a scenario where we try to go SUPER-TEAM. Trade the #1 pick/15/16/next year's... for Kawai.

Then, with Booker, Kawai, Jackson on the team... go after...

LEBRON.

Hell... I might even throw Jackson in there if we got assurances under the table from LeBron he'd come here to round out a Big 3 of Booker/Kawai/LeBron? That team could probably attract some other FA to round out the club, while hoping that guys like Chriss/Bender could then just be role players on the club.

Crazy... or crazy like a fox?!
Nope, just crazy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard