Summer League 2018

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns are the third seed. They play the 76ers and, if they win, move on to the winner of Spurs vs Bucks.

Surprised they fell to 3, each win was dominant, IMO. Go figure we will probably end up against the Spurs soon though. SL playoffs or the real deal, the Spurs are the mountain we always need to climb.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Surprised they fell to 3, each win was dominant, IMO. Go figure we will probably end up against the Spurs soon though. SL playoffs or the real deal, the Spurs are the mountain we always need to climb.

My understanding is the tiebreaker is number of quarters won. It's kind of a stupid and random way to do it, but it's no big deal either way.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My understanding is the tiebreaker is number of quarters won. It's kind of a stupid and random way to do it, but it's no big deal either way.

I think they use quarters first and then point differential if necessary.

I'm okay with the seeding. From what I've seen, the Lakers do look like the best summer league team so far. Maybe Harrison can put a crimp in Josh Hart's game?

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think they use quarters first and then point differential if necessary.

I'm okay with the seeding. From what I've seen, the Lakers do look like the best summer league team so far. Maybe Harrison can put a crimp in Josh Hart's game?

FWIW, the Lakers were 0-3 in the Sacramento Summer League. (Hart played sparingly in the second game and not at all in the third.)

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Lakers are defending SL champs, right? Would be good to beat the defending champs on the way to securing that title for us. Does anyone have a copy of the bracket they can share?

I'm not really upset with being the #3 seed, I was more curious how we fell to #3 though. Point differential should be the tiebreaker instead of quarters though. I can see why quarters are used but if a team is getting blown out through 3 quarters and then manages to outscore the Suns in the 4th, which is all garbage time, that shouldn't effect the standings. I think quarters is sort of encouraging players to run up the score but then so would point differential.

Is the tournament double elimination? I remember hearing something about how teams are guaranteed a certain number of games in total and I wasn't sure how that worked unless they had a double elimination tournament.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, the Lakers were 0-3 in the Sacramento Summer League. (Hart played sparingly in the second game and not at all in the third.)

Yeah, I give the Lakers a slight edge because of Hart. If he struggles or doesn't play much, they're very vulnerable from what I've watched. Actually, I like our chances too but this event still favors good guard play.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the tournament double elimination? I remember hearing something about how teams are guaranteed a certain number of games in total and I wasn't sure how that worked unless they had a double elimination tournament.

Any team that loses their first game will get a consolation game, I don't think they play on beyond that but I'm not sure. Even the teams that get a first day bye will get the consolation game should they lose their first match.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It's single elimination. If you lose in the first round you get a consolation game and then are done. If you win in the first and lose after that than you are done playing games.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Hopefully Josh Jackson redeems himself because currently he has been one of, if not the worst player on the team and a detriment to them winning despite taking the most shots. He is looking like a 6'7 Archie Goodwin again and making all my pre-draft concerns about him coming back.

What is most concerning is that he is not making an impact in terms of rebounding or passing either. Showing absolutely zero court vision.

He is looking worse than last year, maybe because the paint is packed against us because of Ayton drawing so much attention. It is concerning that despite that we are unable to shoot 3pters at a high clip. We should be getting open 3s on every posession but instead Jackson and Harrison are mostly attacking the basket no matter what.

Does not help that Jackson, Bender and Okobo are each shooting well under 30%. It is a miracle that we are 3-0 and winning as dominantly as we have with defense against a tougher schedule than any of the other 3-0 teams ( Magic are 2-1, Mavs are 2-1 and Kings are 1-2 but did not have Bagley after our game).

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Lakers are defending SL champs, right? Would be good to beat the defending champs on the way to securing that title for us. Does anyone have a copy of the bracket they can share?

The bracket is up now:
http://www.nba.com/summerleague/2018/lasvegas/bracket

If things go well, the Suns could see Jaren Jackson Jr. and the Grizzlies or a rematch with Bamba and the Magic in the quarterfinals.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Hopefully Josh Jackson redeems himself because currently he has been one of, if not the worst player on the team and a detriment to them winning despite taking the most shots. He is looking like a 6'7 Archie Goodwin again and making all my pre-draft concerns about him coming back.

What is most concerning is that he is not making an impact in terms of rebounding or passing either. Showing absolutely zero court vision.

He is looking worse than last year, maybe because the paint is packed against us because of Ayton drawing so much attention. It is concerning that despite that we are unable to shoot 3pters at a high clip. We should be getting open 3s on every posession but instead Jackson and Harrison are mostly attacking the basket no matter what.

Does not help that Jackson, Bender and Okobo are each shooting well under 30%. It is a miracle that we are 3-0 and winning as dominantly as we have with defense against a tougher schedule than any of the other 3-0 teams ( Magic are 2-1, Mavs are 2-1 and Kings are 1-2 but did not have Bagley after our game).

He’s going the way of MKG. High motor but doesn’t know how to play basketball. Hopefully Kokoskov gets him to understand shot selection.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think it's a lack of vision, it's that he isn't even bothering to look. He's trying to play hero ball. I doubt he will play like this in the season but... this is what Summer League breeds. It's exhibitions and some guys who think they're big stars try to show off and then you've got a bunch of other guys desperate to make a mark ball hogging too.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There is a lot of truth to the Goodwin comparison although I hope Jackson improves.

Goodwin could learn from some of the positives of Jackson's game to get better.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ehh, Jackson showed more in the last month of the season than Goodwin has shown at any point in his career. And while Jackson is playing like a fool on offense, he's still playing excellent defense while Archie never cared to try on that end.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
He's only Goodwin when he's diving to the hole. Jackson has shown more than Archie ever did. Defense, shooting, passing, coachability. He'll calm down and be great. He was awesome after the break last year.

:yeahthat: Beat me to it, Phrazbit.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score

JJ has certainly regressed. But it's SL. He's not playing with his head he's playing with his heart. And his heart is a candle burning at both ends. Triano did a SUPERB job of reaching him last year. I'd bet that Igor will reinspire him to slow down when the season starts. I'm far more concerned that he didn't correctly work on his shot in the off season. I had hopes that he would do the opposite of Marion, but it looks like I was dreaming.

It hasn't been a miracle that we're winning. We are playing championship style Defense in the SL. And no one has the talent we're putting on the court. It was more evident against Sacramento than anyone. They have a ton of known prospects too and the game wasn't really that close. We potentially have 4 regular season starters on the court.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Yeah, he's been working on ballhandling. That's fine but I was hoping he'd be zeroing in on shooting. Avoid the shooting coaches from Philly, guys!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JJ has certainly regressed. But it's SL. He's not playing with his head he's playing with his heart. And his heart is a candle burning at both ends. Triano did a SUPERB job of reaching him last year. I'd bet that Igor will reinspire him to slow down when the season starts. I'm far more concerned that he didn't correctly work on his shot in the off season. I had hopes that he would do the opposite of Marion, but it looks like I was dreaming.

It hasn't been a miracle that we're winning. We are playing championship style Defense in the SL. And no one has the talent we're putting on the court. It was more evident against Sacramento than anyone. They have a ton of known prospects too and the game wasn't really that close. We potentially have 4 regular season starters on the court.

I particularly agree about the part in bold. It's not necessary for Jackson to exaggerate his play in summer league. He should let the game come to him.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I think the issue is JJ is forcing things in SL. He said before it started that his goal was to dominate it. Well, that's not working out too well. He's not as good as he thinks he is (good enough to dominate SL). He needs to listen to his new teammate Ayton and let the game come to him. He's trying to do too much. Relax. Pick your spots. This is a good lesson for JJ.

You might think I'm not high on JJ after reading that but that's not true at all. I think he will be a very good player in this league maybe even great. He has the drive, athleticism, and smarts to get there. He's still a work in progress.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This kid looks very promising. Very advanced move for someone his age imo.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison