Suggs-40 time faster against the wind. Is it possible he tanked the 40 hoping to fall

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I found that very interesting that Terrell Suggs actually ran a faster 40 on Friday against the wind. Is it possible that the guy actually tanked the 40 times because he desperately wants to play in Arizona? How else can a guy run a faster 40 when he is running against the wind unless he purposefully dogged the other timings?

If he did indeed tank those times with a hope to fall then my opinion of Suggs just went up a notch. It takes some moxie to risk losing a bunch of money to play where you want to play.

I am not at all assuming that he did indeed tank the run, but isn't it odd that a guy who supposedly routinely runs 4.6's suddenly can't crack 4.8? Most would just assume that his agent scheduling another workout would be for Suggs to prove to everyone that the first workout was just a fluke. However, what if he rescheduled the workout just to confirm to everyone that he indeed is a 4.85 guy instead of the 4.6 guy to further cement his chances of staying in ARIZONA.

It at least makes for some interesting conversation because the guy sure plays faster than 4.85.

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Holian, pack a sandwich or two in a picnic basket and go outside for a while. You are showing symptoms of the NFL draft version of SARS :)

And yes, watching game after game of him running people down proves (at least to me) that this guy is not slow, regardless of what his "stopwatch time" is.

Red Air Force

DILLIGAFF
Reaction score
Let me ask you this:

Even if you WANTED to, do you think you would know how fast or slow you would need to run in order to change your normal time by 2/10th's of ONE second!?!?

It's not like bench reps where you could just stop at any number you choose.

I would love to think he tanked it for us, but I seriously doubt it.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suggs-40 time faster against the wind. Is it possible he tanked the 40 hoping to fall
No.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't it possible that he was fresher running against the wind than when he ran with the wind?

Frankly I don't think it's that easy to "tank" a run like that, you'd start easing up and you'd end up running a much slower time. It's not that easy to NOT run all out for an athlete.

I suspect a bunch of things, he gained the weight too quickly, he's physically tired from all the workouts, or maybe all the reports that he was running 4.6 40's were bogus?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ed B
Holian, pack a sandwich or two in a picnic basket and go outside for a while. You are showing symptoms of the NFL draft version of SARS :)

And yes, watching game after game of him running people down proves (at least to me) that this guy is not slow, regardless of what his "stopwatch time" is.

Ed - and everyone else out there who doesn't care about Suggs timed speed and strength deficiencies - what is the first thing almost every rookie in the League says about what supriused them once they got to the pros? Speed - the game at the pro-level is made up of the best of the best - the fastest of the fastest, the strongest of the strong - In college, Suggs has been playing against competition that is not NFL caliber - weren't ther an alraming number of sacks this year in the Pac-10 all around? The speed is an isue because Suggs won't be in college anymore -what he has done in college is great - good for him, but if you think that automically equals production the Big Show, you're deluding yourself. What happens if he needs to play in coverage - oh well he doesn't have to run 40 yards right? BS - the forty time tells a great story about separation - Now you supporters will bring up Jerry Rice and you know what I have to say to that - THE GUY IS ARGUABLY THE GREATEST FOOTBALL PLAYER OF ALL TIME AND FREAK OF NATURE - Who else comes back from a torn ACL within one season - stop using Rice as your proof -he is the exception to the rule - Suggs scares me - and the fact that he has already polarized this board before he has even been drafted makes me fear for another Plummer debate.

Ed B

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by cheesebeef
Ed - and everyone else out there who doesn't care about Suggs timed speed and strength deficiencies - what is the first thing almost every rookie in the League says about what supriused them once they got to the pros? Speed

Right.

I am simply not convinced that a slow 40 time means the guy is not fast. On an average play, a DE runs about 7 yards. If he has the burst out of the stance and quickness and technique with his pass rush moves, does this 40 time matter?

MAKTEN

Veteran
Reaction score
why would any one tank anything??

I don't think anyone would want to tank a work out and miss out any extra money they could possibly earn. That is a rediculous notion.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by cheesebeef
Now you supporters will bring up Jerry Rice and you know what I have to say to that - THE GUY IS ARGUABLY THE GREATEST FOOTBALL PLAYER OF ALL TIME AND FREAK OF NATURE - Who else comes back from a torn ACL within one season - stop using Rice as your proof -he is the exception to the rule -

Well Rice didn't do that though. he came back and then broke his kneecap because he came back too quickly. And lots of guys now come back in less than a year, it just usually isn't until year 2 that they're fully recovered. I agree Rice is the best of alltime.

I also agree Suggs has all the makings of another Jake in terms of polarizing this board, I still haven't made my mind up on him yet I just didn't see him play enough in college.

Ed B

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I disagree about the Suggs-Jake thing.

The problem with jake was that, as a QB, you could always blame his crappiness on someone else. Blame the line, blame the coaches, blame the receivers, blame the playcalling, blame the weather, blame the running game, whatever.

If Suggs blows, it will be really apparent and no one will be able to make excuses for him. Either he will rush the passer or he won't. If he's not putting heat on the QB it will be no fault but his own.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Umm...no

You can figure that Suggs is going to get 3-4 big signing bonuses at best in his career. He certainly isn't going to cost himself several million dollars in signing bonus money to tank a 40 time.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ Smith
Well Rice didn't do that though. he came back and then broke his kneecap because he came back too quickly. And lots of guys now come back in less than a year, it just usually isn't until year 2 that they're fully recovered. I agree Rice is the best of alltime.

I also agree Suggs has all the makings of another Jake in terms of polarizing this board, I still haven't made my mind up on him yet I just didn't see him play enough in college.

I don't think Suggs will ever approach the support Jake got. Not even close. Suggs isn't 1/4 as popular as Plummer was leaving college here, and he'll never be anywhere as popular. I'm a supporter of drafting Suggs, but I'll have no problem saying his play sucks if it does. I just don't see some great endless debate like we had about Jake. QB play is much more interesting to talk about than DE play also.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort