Suggestions for our next coach?!?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is experience that necessary? Harbaugh has shown his own challenges with end-of-game management and making innovative rules adaptations. If the Cards wanted to go with a retread, you could do worse than Harbaugh, but I don't think he brings as much to the table without an impressive staff behind him.

I wouldn't want to can Wilks and start over with another unproven rookie HC who will go through growing pains again.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to can Wilks and start over with another unproven rookie HC who will go through growing pains again.

Like Sean McVay? I wouldn't want to do it without someone being in the building who has head coaching experience, but I don't think that Wilks is bad because he's learning on the job. I think he's bad because he doesn't add value in any area over a below-average head coach.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah. That is why Cardinals are not getting A list guys ever. Guys who are assistants in good standing don't want to be a Cardinals head coach. He declined an head coaching position to stay as an OL coach.

They should convince Munchak. He will be good.
Didn't he take himself out of the running for Cards HC last year?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like Sean McVay? I wouldn't want to do it without someone being in the building who has head coaching experience, but I don't think that Wilks is bad because he's learning on the job. I think he's bad because he doesn't add value in any area over a below-average head coach.

So if you put Sean McVay as HC of the Cardinals we would be going to the SB this year?

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With the possible exception of Gruden, the Cardinals might have made the worst hire. Frank Reich is looking pretty good in Indy. Even Shumur won yesterday.
Gruden is not a bad coach. His past is proof of that. He wants to mold the Raiders in his image and has been given 10 years to coach the team. He traded away Cooper and Mack and is stockpiling draft picks. Don't be surprised to see him trade one of his 1st rounders for more picks. But unlike Wilks, at least Gruden has a track record.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Munchak
Munchak
Munchak

Since Harbaugh(s), McCarthy and all A list persons wont touch this franchise even with a 10 feet stick
Harbaugh took over the 49ers who were a bigger dumpster fire than we are now and took them to 3 straight NFC Championship games. He'd come here for the right price.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
Gruden is not a bad coach. His past is proof of that. He wants to mold the Raiders in his image and has been given 10 years to coach the team. He traded away Cooper and Mack and is stockpiling draft picks. Don't be surprised to see him trade one of his 1st rounders for more picks. But unlike Wilks, at least Gruden has a track record.

And a plan. I’m not sure Wilks has a plan outside of “smash mouth.”

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Harbaugh. Either one would be a gift if available. Both are proven winners.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No
Harbaugh took over the 49ers who were a bigger dumpster fire than we are now and took them to 3 straight NFC Championship games. He'd come here for the right price.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This year? The Rams didn't go to the Super Bowl last year.

That said, I think that Sean McVay+Wade Phillips is leading this team to 7-9 wins at least. Our offense is appallingly bad.

They won the West and made it to the playoffs in year one.

I just don't see the talent on this Cardinals team that would compare to what they have with the Rams. That's for both sides of the ball.

On offense the only thing that is close is RB. Otherwise the Rams have the Cardinals beat at every other offensive position.

On Defense the Rams have a better DL. Better LBs although they are not that good. Maybe the Cardinals have a slightly better secondary but that doesn't matter if you can't stop the run up front.

Until the Cardinals can reload the roster I don't think it matters who the coach is.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind Harbaugh or Bill Cower. I would still like Defillippo as head coach and an experienced DC like Todd Bowles. I think that is very doable.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
They won the West and made it to the playoffs in year one.

I just don't see the talent on this Cardinals team that would compare to what they have with the Rams. That's for both sides of the ball.

On offense the only thing that is close is RB. Otherwise the Rams have the Cardinals beat at every other offensive position.

On Defense the Rams have a better DL. Better LBs although they are not that good. Maybe the Cardinals have a slightly better secondary but that doesn't matter if you can't stop the run up front.

Until the Cardinals can reload the roster I don't think it matters who the coach is.

The Cards defense last year was actually better than the Rams', at least by DVOA. Prior to this week, the Cards' defense was actually better than the Rams' by DVOA (6th vs 20th).

I think that poor coaching casts a pall over the entire offense. I don't think that Rosen is significantly worse than Jared Goff. I also think that the offensive design takes a lot of the burden off the line. Robert Woods wasn't much of anything before McVay got a hold of him; maybe Chad Williams could blossom in a similar situation? Who's to say?

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why do you think Munchak would be good?

HOF'er
Pedigree similar to Arians and Whisenhunt
Did a decent job as Titan head coach
Will fix the Offensive line
Ran 3-4 defense at Titans that fits Cardinals personnel
Stand up guy to his coaches (like Arians was). Titans fired Munchak as he refused to let his assistants go to keep his job

After Wilks fiasco, no flashy hires. Munchak's quiet blue collar leadership is what Cardinals need.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
McCarthy or either Harbaugh, preferably John. These guys are proven winners, and would come in with a chip on their shoulders. I think McCarthy would be the ideal choice. All he ever hears is that he wouldn't have won jack without Rodgers. He'd bring a burning desire to prove everyone wrong. He's from the Holmgren family, and that says a lot. The Harbaugh brothers are defensive minded disciplinarians who know how to win also. My fear is that Rosen wouldn't be developed as well under them.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
McCarthy or either Harbaugh, preferably John. These guys are proven winners, and would come in with a chip on their shoulders. I think McCarthy would be the ideal choice. All he ever hears is that he wouldn't have won jack without Rodgers. He'd bring a burning desire to prove everyone wrong. He's from the Holmgren family, and that says a lot. The Harbaugh brothers are defensive minded disciplinarians who know how to win also. My fear is that Rosen wouldn't be developed as well under them.

You know I have given Mike McCarthy a lot of poo but frankly the problems in Green Bay are coming from the front office. He and Rodgers both have been screwed out of more titles with abysmal personnel decisions in particular on the defensive side of the ball.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cards defense last year was actually better than the Rams', at least by DVOA. Prior to this week, the Cards' defense was actually better than the Rams' by DVOA (6th vs 20th).

I think that poor coaching casts a pall over the entire offense. I don't think that Rosen is significantly worse than Jared Goff. I also think that the offensive design takes a lot of the burden off the line. Robert Woods wasn't much of anything before McVay got a hold of him; maybe Chad Williams could blossom in a similar situation? Who's to say?

Sure anything is possible if you can dream hard enough. Maybe Phillips had some magic dust to sprinkle on Nkemdiche and Brandon Williams. Who knows.

Still Goff wasn't a rookie when McVay took over so that helps. It also helps when your starting OL doesn't spend most of the year on IR. The Rams OL has been very healthy the last two seasons. The Cardinals OL is and has been an annual MASH unit.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Raiders are going to be good. They can tank because they are bolting town anyway.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Sure anything is possible if you can dream hard enough. Maybe Phillips had some magic dust to sprinkle on Nkemdiche and Brandon Williams. Who knows.

Still Goff wasn't a rookie when McVay took over so that helps. It also helps when your starting OL doesn't spend most of the year on IR. The Rams OL has been very healthy the last two seasons. The Cardinals OL is and has been an annual MASH unit.

The Rams are averaging 1 point per game less on defense than we are. Our defense is playoff-caliber. That's not the problem here.

Yeah, I don't know what the problem is with our OL health. It's been awful and dragging down that entire side of the football.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Rams are averaging 1 point per game less on defense than we are. Our defense is playoff-caliber. That's not the problem here.

Yeah, I don't know what the problem is with our OL health. It's been awful and dragging down that entire side of the football.

I can tell you this: I am sick and tired of Wolf praising our OL coach and claiming it isn't the coaching when other teams can plug and play OL and not worry.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lafleur head coach

Todd Bowles defensive coordinator/assistent head coach

Anquan boldin wr coach

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I’m going with young offensive minds.

Jeff Brohm from Purdue or Nathan Hackett from Jax.