Steve Wilks lawsuit against NFL

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
To recap since most everyone is saying the same thing!

1. Keim sucked and should have been fired too along with Wilks.
2. Wilks firing was justified, even with a bad roster.
3. Flores' Lawsuit overall has merit.
4. Horton's allegations might or might not have merit.
5. The optics of the roster and keeping Keim look bad on the surface, but race had zero factor.
6. Wilks didn't want Rosen and apparently wanted Allen. Was upset that we stayed put, even though we didn't. We traded up for Rosen and there was chatter was tried to trade up further at one point.

Did I get it right?
I didn't see Horton's specific allegations. Is he alleging his bad attitude and scorching the Earth, on his way out of AZ, shouldn't be a factor in his future employment?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
That's where I am I think there are clear cases, Detroit and Miami most recently, where African American coaches were essentially set up to be on losing teams get a high pick then get fired so they can hire another coach. I don't think that's what happened to Wilks. I think he joined on to other lawsuits that suggested that but the one he's filed apparently doesn't allege that or if it does I missed it he is more saying I had to win with a rookie Rosen if I had a rookie Murray I would have won.

I don't think we would have and I think the difference was obvious, the offense that year got worse all year, QB's changed, OL, WR's the talent got less all year but we never saw any signs even after the OC was gone that there was a fix on the way. There was no hope that the offense was going to be appreciably better the next year.

With Kliff as many issues as I do have with him you could see as the year went on Kliff was figuring things out, he changed from all the 4 WR sets to multi TE sets. He figured out he could run the ball etc. Murray had some struggles later in the year but he showed progress, you could see there was hope for improvement, none was evident with Wilks.

But I do think there's a double standard in that Keim did a horrible job building that team and didn't lose his job over it
One of things lost is that national sentiment prior to Wilks only season was that the Cardinals were going to be good.

Peter King left Cardinals training camp and said Wilks was going to be an outstanding coach and the Cardinals were going to have a good season.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I think part of the lawsuit is that Flores was set to interview with the Giants and even before he got a chance to interview, Belichick congratulated him on the job, but Bill sent it to Flores instead of Daboll, for which it was intended.

So Flores' issue is that he was set to interview for the Giants head job per Rooney Rule, but the interview was just a farce because the Giants hired Daboll without adhering to the Rooney Rule but still intended to interview Flores AFTER already deciding on Daboll just to satisfy the RR.

Hopefully this makes sense.

I understand Flores issue, but Wilkes trying to lump himself in the same category is absurd. For the love of God, he was HIRED!!!! If they were racist, wouldn’t they NOT have hired him???
Wilkes attaching himself to Flores reminds me of this.

You must be registered for see images attach

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
NFL DEFENSE ATTORNEY:

“Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I will not be calling any witnesses or offering any other defense than this. If after this, you still feel his case has
merit, Michael Bidwill has agreed to turn the Cardinals over to you. I present to you now, video footage of the entire 2018 season. Vomit bags have been placed under your seats if needed.”

Last edited:

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Not directly related to the lawsuit, but I remember Wilks first game - the season & home opener. I had to miss the game to fly to NYC for work and was SO PISSED. We were playing Washington, which on paper should have been one of our most winnable games of the season. I watched the beginning of the game at a bar in the airport, and then listened to the 98.7 stream on my phone before the flight. I was boarding the plane right as Wash scored to make it 21-0 right before halftime. The whole flight I could only think "Yep, the season is over before I ever made it to a game."

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh? I’m fine with a different opinion. I’ve argued against yours and stated why I think you bringing 1 year deals up is a total non-sequitir meant to shift the argument to one no one made. Why you’ve decided to get personal here is beyond me but so be it.
I think it was when you called it a strawman argument.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't see Horton's specific allegations. Is he alleging his bad attitude and scorching the Earth, on his way out of AZ, shouldn't be a factor in his future employment?
That's why I said may or may not. ;)

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I feel both side are in wrong but no illegal act was committed.

Wilks can also make a point that he did not have full control of hiring his own staff. Mike McCoy was Keim's hire (direct or indirect) and McCoy was jettisoned like half way through the season after being fired by DEN mid season the year before.

Wilks was set up to fail, we had a terrible offseason (Campbell & Jefferson left with no replacements) but unless he was misled he shouldn't have known what the offseason plan was before he accepted job. Maybe he thought he would get more than 1 year knowing his first year would be bad. Had Keim been fired back then as well, ARZ wouldn't be in this mess.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm actually going to espouse what may be a bad take on this to some, but I've had time to think on it and I'm feeling now that Wilks jumping on this law suit is detrimental to Flore's original issue. I think the league has some severe racial issues, and I am all for it being called out when it needs to be. Hearing about Pete Carroll incensing some of the NFL owners when he made his recent statements is what gets me riled up when it comes to how black people are perceived in the whole NFL scheme of things. Accepted enough to play the game, get a few assistant coaching jobs here and there, but not enough to infiltrate the upper echelon of operations. This is where I believe the allegations have merit. Steve Wilks used his firing to call us out, but he is not the first coach black, white, whatever to have been fired after an atrocious first season. If we truly want equality, then African Americans should also recognize our own culpability in professional successes/failures and stop blaming everything on "the white man". Keim and company did him no favors, this much is true, but I just don't see how can he assert racism when he just could not be brought back given his performance on the field. He knows that. I don't care what he says now.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I'm actually going to espouse what may be a bad take on this to some, but I've had time to think on it and I'm feeling now that Wilks jumping on this law suit is detrimental to Flore's original issue. I think the league has some severe racial issues, and I am all for it being called out when it needs to be. Hearing about Pete Carroll incensing some of the NFL owners when he made his recent statements is what gets me riled up when it comes to how black people are perceived in the whole NFL scheme of things. Accepted enough to play the game, get a few assistant coaching jobs here and there, but not enough to infiltrate the upper echelon of operations. This is where I believe the allegations have merit. Steve Wilks used his firing to call us out, but he is not the first coach black, white, whatever to have been fired after an atrocious first season. If we truly want equality, then African Americans should also recognize our own culpability in professional successes/failures and stop blaming everything on "the white man". Keim and company did him no favors, this much is true, but I just don't see how can he assert racism when he just could not be brought back given his performance on the field. He knows that. I don't care what he says now.
He's also had 3 seasons since, employed in the NFL, to prove he's worth another chance or at least an interview. As it looks to me, he's done nothing to stand out as a coordinator or position coach, since leaving AZ, to warrant a 2nd look.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The 2018 offense had as many games with fewer than 150 total yards as they had with games over 300 total yards. The season high was 321 total yards against SF and a low of 137 total yards against the Rams. 137 total yards!!! The personnel was bad, but I don't think it was that bad. The whole team got worse as the season went on, too.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The 2018 offense had as many games with fewer than 150 total yards as they had with games over 300 total yards. The season high was 321 total yards against SF and a low of 137 total yards against the Rams. 137 total yards!!! The personnel was bad, but I don't think it was that bad. The whole team got worse as the season went on, too.
You know what take aged really bad:

Draft Nick Bosa and stick with Josh Rosen at QB. Rosen hasn't even sniffed a starting spot after the Dolphins tried him out. Imagine how bad the team would have been with Kliff and Rosen?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You know what take aged really bad:

Draft Nick Bosa and stick with Josh Rosen at QB. Rosen hasn't even sniffed a starting spot after the Dolphins tried him out. Imagine how bad the team would have been with Kliff and Rosen?
I really feel that Wilks ruined Rosen. He was thrown to the wolves. I never saw a qb take a beating like he did. He never had any time to set up. He had zero protection and Wilks made no adjustments to protect him. It was the worse offense that I have ever seen. Rosen was never any good after that season. Who knows, maybe he was never meant to make it in the NFL but his playing got worse as the season progressed. It was ugly.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I really feel that Wilks ruined Rosen. He was thrown to the wolves. I never saw a qb take a beating like he did. He never had any time to set up. He had zero protection and Wilks made no adjustments to protect him. It was the worse offense that I have ever seen. Rosen was never any good after that season. Who knows, maybe he was never meant to make it in the NFL but his playing got worse as the season progressed. It was ugly.
So much of QB play is processing information quickly.

During an extended period of starts, you expect a QB to see openings quicker. You didn't really see that with Rosen. I only watched a spattering of games that year because of how awful and painful that team was to watch, but Rosen didn't really get any better. That offense was bad, but a decent QB could've done more.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I just want to point out that yesterday 98.7 and Dan Bickley randomly started bashing Kyler Murray again instead of discussing this.
Bickley is the main provocateur in the Kyler Murray criticism narrative.

He begrudgingly admitted he was wrong last year....until right when things went sideways he ramped it up again. If I were Kyler, I'd blacklist Bickley.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bickley is the main provocateur in the Kyler Murray criticism narrative.

He begrudgingly admitted he was wrong last year....until right when things went sideways he ramped it up again. If I were Kyler, I'd blacklist Bickley.

Agreed but the timing was incredibly convenient.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So much of QB play is processing information quickly.

During an extended period of starts, you expect a QB to see openings quicker. You didn't really see that with Rosen. I only watched a spattering of games that year because of how awful and painful that team was to watch, but Rosen didn't really get any better. That offense was bad, but a decent QB could've done more.
Not when he has absolutely no time to even set up. As a season ticket holder, I saw every home game and it was brutal the pounding that he took. Don't want to argue, just my two cents. As I said Rosen may have been in way over his head and not really meant to be a NFL QB. It just was pathetic watching the beating that he took while the HC Wilks did nothing to help and protect him.