Steve Keim taking an indefinite, health-related leave of absence

The6

All Star
Reaction score
Keim bailed on his team. He knew he failed this organization by his incompetence. Now he's saying you can't fire me I just won't come back due to the stressful nature of the job. I bet you if we had a better record he'd still be sitting in that chair.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I agree that he’ll likely get some other dumb job within the organization. MB loves his sycophants and lackeys around the building.
not that its a perfect comp -- but Terry McDonough went from sitting around the table in the draft room whispering in Keims ear in the 2015 draft .................... to being completely invisible now, passed up by Quentin Harris and AW. Yet he is still with the team.

it wouldnt surprise me to look at the Cards FO org chart in 2026 and see Keim's name as a Sr Personnel Consultant or something --- even if he also disappears from public view

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Keim bailed on his team. He knew he failed this organization by his incompetence. Now he's saying you can't fire me I just won't come back due to the stressful nature of the job. I bet you if we had a better record he'd still be sitting in that chair.
If they had a better record, it's probably because he was sober.

If, as some of us think, he's in rehab for drinking, then it probably explains some of the over the top roster moves that reeked of desperation.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If they had a better record, it's probably because he was sober.

If, as some of us think, he's in rehab for drinking, then it probably explains some of the over the top roster moves that reeked of desperation.
A billionaire would rather send his GM to rehab than admit the billionaire was wrong by letting him go.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
As someone who has struggled with alcohol issues, this is the worst take to hear from someone. Financial/personal/professional wherewithal? Give me a break. These things are all interconnected.

Keim worked his way up in the organization, which can lead to stress. Being part of a big organization like the Cardinals or NFL, leads to old boys' club drinking. Doing the best for your family life becomes challenging. Make money? Maintain your status? It's not easy at all. That might come from being away from your personal support as you struggle to maintain work performance.

Professional support for substance abuse doesn't really exist, either. It just knocks you down a few pegs or gets you fired.

Odds are, if it's alcohol, he was drinking to cope with a highly stressful position. And while I want my football team to win, if he was in a less public lens, we wouldn't hear a single thing about this from any other company's leadership.

I hope he gets better. I want our team to improve, but it means nothing outside of someone's recovery. It's just a game.
This post gives me hope that there is still some good in this world.

Outstanding post

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was at that game too, I didn’t remember Tupa playing so had to look it up. Hogeboom & Rosenbach were QBs that day.

That was some bad football. 101 yards of total offense.

Thanks for clarifying Zeno! Gary Hogeboom…for some reason I thought it was Tom Tupa, but then again I can no longer trust my memory. Especially when it comes to forgettable experiences. The Cards were absolutely pathetic then. However, I loved those birds. Our current group—I detest them.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying Zeno! Gary Hogeboom…for some reason I thought it was Tom Tupa, but then again I can no longer trust my memory. Especially when it comes to forgettable experiences. The Cards were absolutely pathetic then. However, I loved those birds. Our current group—I detest them.

The only reason I probably remember that is I don't believe I ever saw Tupa play live. I was in the Marine Corps from 90-94 and most of his snaps came in 91 and luckily I was overseas so didn't see a game that whole season.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A billionaire would rather send his GM to rehab than admit the billionaire was wrong by letting him go.

Or...

A company owner who has decided that firing an employee with more than 20 years of service when said employee is facing a health crisis and a period of rehabilitation is simply not what a decent human being does.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So me and a bunch of friends have kids who go to Hamilton High School where Keims' son Carson plays for the football team. Rumor has it that Carson told his friends that his dad is "Fine". Whatever that means. My guess is that this is a mental stress related issue and SK is hiding from the Hard Knocks cameras. Again just speculation based off of second hand news.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Or...

A company owner who has decided that firing an employee with more than 20 years of service when said employee is facing a health crisis and a period of rehabilitation is simply not what a decent human being does.
Hope this is the case.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So me and a bunch of friends have kids who go to Hamilton High School where Keims' son Carson plays for the football team. Rumor has it that Carson told his friends that his dad is "Fine". Whatever that means. My guess is that this is a mental stress related issue and SK is hiding from the Hard Knocks cameras. Again just speculation based off of second hand news.
Eh, I doubt his son would give his personal family information to anyone including even his close friends.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Eh, I doubt his son would give his personal family information to anyone including even his close friends.
Maybe. Believeable if it actually is mostly nothing and he actually is "fine."

People talk all the time.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
His most recent DUI was his second one. He got his first in college where he was not the GM of an NFL team. So he has had an issue with alcohol for several decades.
A single DUI doesn't necessarily indicate a problem. My best friend was arrested for DUI in college despite being under the legal limit, but Arizona has a zero tolerance policy for minors. I think there's evidence he has a problem now, but unsure about decades.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My best friend was arrested for DUI in college despite being under the legal limit, but Arizona has a zero tolerance policy for minors.
As he should have been. Underage drinking and then driving? Very stupid.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Timing seems suspect.

It feels like a way to ease him out without straight up firing him.

I'm sure he does have something but could have worked through it and they're using it to their advantage.

I just hope they don't let him hang around like that dude at the Texans who wasn't GM but had the ear of the owner.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn