Steve Keim taking an indefinite, health-related leave of absence

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Great way to keep it off Hard Knocks, too.

The footage of Keim stumbling out of Tilted Kilt will be filed next to Eno dressing down his coach for force-feeding Conner averaging 2.8 YPC and Kugler smelling the hair of a Mexican security guard.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
hmm, for the heck of it I did a case lookup at the AZ courts for Keim to see if there was maybe a DUI that hadn't hit the news yet or something along those lines. Nothing is coming up for him. Not nothing new, but nothing at all. Seems odd that his DUI from 4 years ago doesn't show and that he's had no traffic tickets or anything outside of it.

Is Keim maybe not his legal last name?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I feel bad for his kids not the man.

Keim was given dozens of opportunities to clean up his life and chose not to do so. He had the financial wherewithal and the personal/professional support to do so as well. Most people who overcome addiction do so with much, much less than what Keim was blessed. Addiction is no joke I get that but at a certain point it’s hard to feel bad for someone in his position.
As someone who has struggled with alcohol issues, this is the worst take to hear from someone. Financial/personal/professional wherewithal? Give me a break. These things are all interconnected.

Keim worked his way up in the organization, which can lead to stress. Being part of a big organization like the Cardinals or NFL, leads to old boys' club drinking. Doing the best for your family life becomes challenging. Make money? Maintain your status? It's not easy at all. That might come from being away from your personal support as you struggle to maintain work performance.

Professional support for substance abuse doesn't really exist, either. It just knocks you down a few pegs or gets you fired.

Odds are, if it's alcohol, he was drinking to cope with a highly stressful position. And while I want my football team to win, if he was in a less public lens, we wouldn't hear a single thing about this from any other company's leadership.

I hope he gets better. I want our team to improve, but it means nothing outside of someone's recovery. It's just a game.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ferguson and Graves didn’t bow out gracefully, so I don’t know why Bidwill will make him the exception

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Great way to keep it off Hard Knocks, too.

The footage of Keim stumbling out of Tilted Kilt will be filed next to Eno dressing down his coach for force-feeding Conner averaging 2.8 YPC and Kugler smelling the hair of a Mexican security guard.
Genuine question - are these things you know about that aren't part of reports, or just dry humor?

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed that also when they showed Bidwill that one time Monday night. There was a woman sitting with him, I assume that's Mrs Bidwill? They showed Bidwill after Kyler went to the locker room with the injury. At first I thought maybe Keim left Bidwill & went to the locker room to check on Kyler? After reading this today I really don't know?
Michael isn't married.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Part of me thinks this is a game a billionaire Bidwill and a millionaire Keim are playing on their masses to trick them to thinking "poor Keim, how can we get rid of him. don't you feel sorry?"

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
As someone who has struggled with alcohol issues, this is the worst take to hear from someone. Financial/personal/professional wherewithal? Give me a break. These things are all interconnected.

Keim worked his way up in the organization, which can lead to stress. Being part of a big organization like the Cardinals or NFL, leads to old boys' club drinking. Doing the best for your family life becomes challenging. Make money? Maintain your status? It's not easy at all. That might come from being away from your personal support as you struggle to maintain work performance.

Professional support for substance abuse doesn't really exist, either. It just knocks you down a few pegs or gets you fired.

Odds are, if it's alcohol, he was drinking to cope with a highly stressful position. And while I want my football team to win, if he was in a less public lens, we wouldn't hear a single thing about this from any other company's leadership.

I hope he gets better. I want our team to improve, but it means nothing outside of

I hope he gets better. I want our team to improve, but it means nothing outside of someone's recovery. It's just a game.
Listen I totally get it and empathize with addiction issues. I’ve been around enough people in my life where I understand it can be as much a disease as personal choice. But I don’t buy the no support thing, there’s many public figures who are sober. In football Steve Sarkisian is a great example. The organization went out of their way to support Keim too.

Just saying I feel more sympathy for the guys wife and kids who are truly the victims here. Keim’s behavior last several years will have a more negative impact on them than anything.

I’ll tone it down though since I know this can be touchy and be done dancing on the dude’s grave on this one. He was a terrible GMwhich probably had a lot to do with his issues but it’s high time we all move on now like Bidwill should have in 2018.

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
This is all just speculation. We don't know why he is taking a break from the team. It is possible it could be for a family member, too.

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’ve been a fan of the Cardinals as long as I can remember, like 50 years. I can never remember them being in the news this much. And it all started after that stupid pick six in the playoff game. There was the Kyler social media drama, the Hopkins suspension, the Gladney death, more Kyler contract drama, the homework clause, the head scratching Kliff and Keim extensions, the Kugler dismissal, Patrick Peterson’s sour grapes, now this with Keim. I’m sure there’s more. To liken them to a dumb dad joke, these Cardinals are like corduroy pillows.. always making headlines! And not good ones.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
"Kliff Kingsbury is stepping away as head coach of Cardinals on indefinite leave of absence to focus his energy on getting better each episode and winning THE BACHELOR contest in 2023. At this time, we ask to respect his privacy"

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

His most recent DUI was his second one. He got his first in college where he was not the GM of an NFL team. So he has had an issue with alcohol for several decades.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images attach

In 2013, 30 years after his first head coaching job at Temple, he got another one. The Arizona Cardinals. In five years, Arizona went to the playoffs twice including 2015 when the Cardinals lost to Carolina in the NFC Championship game.

Two years later, however, he realized there were too many things, non-football related, that he had missed.

“It was good to walk away from the game,” Arians said. “Jake [his son] turned 40 and it hit me harder than anything. I just said, ‘Where did it all go?’”

OLIVER13

Reaction score
Could it possibly be him checking into rehab?
Best wishes for his family this holiday season.

Last edited:

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’ve been a fan of the Cardinals as long as I can remember, like 50 years. I can never remember them being in the news this much. And it all started after that stupid pick six in the playoff game. There was the Kyler social media drama, the Hopkins suspension, the Gladney death, more Kyler contract drama, the homework clause, the head scratching Kliff and Keim extensions, the Kugler dismissal, Patrick Peterson’s sour grapes, now this with Keim. I’m sure there’s more. To liken them to a dumb dad joke, these Cardinals are like corduroy pillows.. always making headlines! And not good ones.

My friend, it started when AJ Green didn't turn around and we lost to the Packers. Everything has been **** since that moment.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
-which is required by law-

**** cracks me up... so, they wouldnt show him the same respect if the law didnt require it or what?? That single line totally takes away the sincerity of respecting a mans privacy, lmao

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listen I totally get it and empathize with addiction issues. I’ve been around enough people in my life where I understand it can be as much a disease as personal choice. But I don’t buy the no support thing, there’s many public figures who are sober. In football Steve Sarkisian is a great example. The organization went out of their way to support Keim too.

Just saying I feel more sympathy for the guys wife and kids who are truly the victims here. Keim’s behavior last several years will have a more negative impact on them than anything.

I’ll tone it down though since I know this can be touchy and be done dancing on the dude’s grave on this one. He was a terrible GMwhich probably had a lot to do with his issues but it’s high time we all move on now like Bidwill should have in 2018.
Alcoholism is a health issue so the statement would be 100% accurate to say it is "health related".

But it could be a heart attack... cancer... We don't know. And if Keim does not want the issue to be public then the team can't say squat.

Just today, in a different thread BritCard and I were talking about Keim getting sacked and AW handling the rest of the season. Then it actually happened. But I take no joy in it. Lots of people dig kicking human beings when they are down but I don't.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Idk man. We literally had a punter as our starting quarterback for a year or a year and a half.
I remember the Tupa years. This seems much crazier to me. Back then we were just a bad team with a horrible roster. This year has been non-stop chaos on so many levels. I mean, one of our players died during training camp, and nobody even really mentions it anymore.