Steelers are a Bad Matchup

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So he got lucky by getting a top-tier quarterback with a mid round pick
Yes, the Steelers were fortunate that Ben was still around when they drafted him at 11. People forget that the Steelers were coming off a 6-10 season, and yes, fans were a tad bit disgruntled with Cowher at the time. Rivers was drafted at 4, and then Ben dropped because the teams ahead of Pittsburgh were thought to have their franchise QB already on their roster. Seems like a no brainer that Ben should have gone before Manning & Rivers, but Ben didn’t play the same quality of opponents while at Miami OH, that the other 2 did being in the SEC and ACC respectively. I saw that Pittsburgh was going to be in position to get him & it nauseated me. I had watched Ben play a few that year & knew he was going to be great. So, bottom line, yes, Steelers were lucky to get Ben at 11.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Maaaan. Sometimes it's just about a new voice in the locker room. As good a motivator and team leader he is, he may have just run his course in Pittsburgh. It happens in sports. I'm not a massive fan of him as an X and O guy, but I generally like the guy, we're fraternity brothers, and I admittedly like to see the brothers in the NFL succeed, but your friend is not in the minority I'm sure Krang. I know for a fact that if he and the Steelers were to part ways, he'd have a job tomorrow. Think the Panthers would like to have him lead a run remotely close to what he's done?
I think he is a fantastic coach overall, and I agree he has run his course.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Random fun fact: I was at Roethlisberger's first game at Baltimore in week 2 of 2004. (I was a Ravens season ticket holder.) Tommy Maddox started the game but got hurt on a strip sack at the Steelers' 1 yard line. After Jamaal Lewis (dang, he was fun to watch!) scored for the Ravens to take a 20-0 lead, Roethlisberger came in & played well enough, but the Steelers still lost. Then Roethlisberger never lost again in the regular season, and the Steelers won the Super Bowl the following year.

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Random fun fact: I was at Roethlisberger's first game at Baltimore in 2004. (I was a Ravens season ticket holder.) Tommy Maddox started the game but got hurt on a strip sack at the Steelers' 1 yard line. After Jamaal Lewis (dang, he was fun to watch!) scored for the Ravens to take a 20-0 lead, Roethlisberger came in & played well enough, but the Steelers still lost. Then Roethlisberger never lost again in the regular season, and the Steelers won the Super Bowl the following year.
Fun Fact - Tomlin is 32-28 when Big Ben doesn't start (includes post-retirement seasons)