Caging the Bengals

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The Cards cannot do what they did against the Niners. They held back on the pass rush until the second half. Burrow is limited by his calf injury. He is not the mobility threat teams fear. Consequently Cincy’s passing attack has featured short throws. In coverage, Clark has been reasonably aggressive but Wilson continues to be a liability. He gives too much cushion. He also reacts hesitantly to speed routes of various types. Wilson lacks the catch up speed necessary to allow him to lose contact with receivers like he has been doing. Chase will eat him alive. Clark would get beat occasionally as well but he’ll attack continuously. Put him on Chase. The Bengals have struggled to protect Burrow. The Cards must make that struggle a continuous event. Between pressure and Clark, that should prevent Chase from doing too much damage. Some over the top coverage from Wallace would help. Let Wilson take on Boyd. He’s a threat but not a major scoring threat.

Mixon will be used in an attempt to wear out the Cards’ depleted DL, thus limiting the pressure on Barrow. It’s a great deal to ask of Gardeck to increase his snaps, but the Cards need him. He’s the only one producing continuous pressure. Some blitzes would be useful. The Cards need a big game inside. If the LBs are constantly filling gaps, it will be hard to cover short passes and pressure Burrow. Let’s hope they still sit Higgins.

One of my primary concerns is the Cards inability to cover passes in the flat. They seem reluctant to bring their defenders up to the line. They’re just too soft. The receiver ends up often getting 4 yards before they’re threatened by a potential tackler. Since the deficiency plays right into the Bengals’ game plan, I can only hope the Cards get more aggressive on defense.

On the Cards’ offensive side, Cincy is allowing 5.1 yards per rush. The Cards want to run, so this could be a huge game for Connor if he stays healthy. The Bengals’ DL can be bullied and Gannon wants the Cards to be physical. Even if the game stays close, the Cards should be able to wear Cincy down by the fourth quarter. The Cards have too often faltered in the fourth this season, but this looks like the game to reverse that trend.

Also the Bengals have been vulnerable to TEs. Again that’s what the Cards like to do. If they can remember McBride is on the field, this figures to be his best receiving game of the year so far. Ertz just needs to clean the drops out of his game.

It would seem logical Wilson’s targets would increase, especially since Brown is getting harder to defend. Using Dobbs around the edge should slow the rush. The Bengals figure to get very aggressive on passing pressure. This should make Connor even more effective. Short tosses to him could produce solid gains.

This looks like another surprising Cards’ win if they aggressively attack Burrow and play a little bump and run with the Cincy receivers.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm insanely leveraged on the Cards in this game. Line's stuck at 3 right now; it'll be interesting to see where the late money comes in.

Also, I'll be extremely interested to hear how the attendance is. Even if this team has been fairly frisky, it's difficult to imagine anyone making the drive to Glendale for this matchup outside of truly unhinged Cardinals completists.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm insanely leveraged on the Cards in this game. Line's stuck at 3 right now; it'll be interesting to see where the late money comes in.

Also, I'll be extremely interested to hear how the attendance is. Even if this team has been fairly frisky, it's difficult to imagine anyone making the drive to Glendale for this matchup outside of truly unhinged Cardinals completists.
I can’t believe you’d ever depend on the Cards to cover you.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Everyone's bagging on the Bungholes - saying Burrow is straight ass - this isn't good for us - this has turned into a statement game for them - and unfortunately I think it's our cheeks that will be parted tomorrow - so be weary of the spread
When you are the Cardinals every game seems to be a statement game regardless of the results from the prior week.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
A FB question. Harry has said/inferred that we should expect a lot of short passes. So, would it be better to play zone rather than Man?
There’s little quick contact in zone and the Cards have been tackling poorly. The Cards’ zone has been improved this season, but with Higgins out I think man offers the best chance to be disruptive IMO for what it’s worth.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There’s little quick contact in zone and the Cards have been tackling poorly. The Cards’ zone has been improved this season, but with Higgins out I think man offers the best chance to be disruptive IMO for what it’s worth.
Thanks.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Doesn’t matter if we only run featured RB 11 times to 41 passes, 14 times the previous game. Out of balance , playing hero ball with Dobbs now.

hopefully clement can get some tough yards, instead slow developing fall downs like all the backs but Connor.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Everyone's bagging on the Bungholes - saying Burrow is straight ass - this isn't good for us - this has turned into a statement game for them - and unfortunately I think it's our cheeks that will be parted tomorrow - so be weary of the spread
As they have been every week since week 1. The Bengals could turn it around, but to me the odds are they won't.

OmahaCardsFan

Veteran
Reaction score
Parted cheeks and Spread. Hmmm