State Of The Team

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Garthshort, May 4, 2021.

1. Nate

Nate Registered

Another question which has to be answered is how good Murray really is and whether the numbers we see in the following chart are due to KKs offense, Murrays risk aversion or perhaps due to Murrays shoulder injury. Or a combination of all of it.

https://t.co/eFnpEgzrrx?amp=1 unnamed-chunk-6-1.png

2. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

Well, we all know I'm a glass-half empty fan at this point my Cardinals fandom, but I swear that normally hasn't been the case. I just have a very bad taste in my mouth about Kliff, and think Keim's gotta have something going on behind the scenes that has initiated this fall from grace. But I absolutely hope we win and will watch every game cheering them on, so please don't take my darksider take as a reason to question my fandom or throw hate.

I think this is probably a 6-7 win team.

Unless you can absolutely score at will like the Chiefs, I still think the most likely pathway to victory in the NFL is still stopping the other guy and being able to control the clock. Unfortunately, the two biggest weaknesses on this team are the running game and the secondary. Sure, I'm amped about the addition of Rodney Hudson, but the right side of the line is still a complete question mark. Our RBs are close to the worst in the league, bested only by the Dolphins and Falcons. Neither guy has shown he can stay healthy, and Conner looked to have lost a step or three in the past two years. Edmonds has fallen flat with every opportunity he's had to start. The rushing will look fine on paper because of Kyler, but it won't be enough to close out games or take over in the in the scary likelihood he takes another bump like last year and can't run.

Our CBs are the worst in the league. Malcolm Butler gave up more receptions and yards than anyone in the league last year, and was slow when he was 22, much less 32. Even if Chandler Jones were allowed to run unabated to the QB every play, a DK Metcalf would be 7 yards past Butler on a fly pattern before CJ could make the sack. (Okay, hyperbole, but Butler is no answer, IMO.) Alford is such a non-factor, it's scary. Our safeties' strength isn't coverage, either. I'm anticipating a lot of games where we need to score in the mid-high 30s to even compete. The front 7 is improved, but not enough to mask how putrid the secondary is.

This is already longer than I want it to be, but I don't think our offense made any significant enough moves to do anything but functionally tread water. Our coaching is poor. We're still likely the 3rd or 4th team in the division after the whole offseason, and this team has to be rebuilt from the ground up next year. We're relying on too many old guys to have resurgent years.

So, my outlook is poor, but does that surprise anyone?

Cardsmasochist and slanidrac16 like this.
  3. slanidrac16

slanidrac16 Registered User Contributor

I hope you are right. I really do. Remember the 49ers had more injuries than maybe anybody in the league last year and they still beat the snot out of us. They will be better this year. Stanford makes the Rams better and they were in the playoffs. The Seahawks just do enough to win and there’s no reason to think they won’t this year.
    I’ve debated for years with darksiders believing the Cards were primed to win and I’ve been wrong every time. Hope I keep my streak of wrong going.

4. slanidrac16

Lots of good points.

5. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

6. juza76

juza76 Registered

@Solar7 being worry about users questioning his fandom :D
    Don't worry man, it's good for u to start with a glass half empthy, u can't go against your nature
    Then would be more sweet if we will have a good season and a playoff team

7. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain Captain of Team Murray

Not Alford...Malcolm Butler who by nearly every metric was better than Peterson last year.

Hyperbole undermines your point. All Collins has to do is be better than the corpse of Jordan Hicks. Hicks and Campbell were spectacularly bad last year.

He was healthy last year and over 1000 snaps. He was the most double teamed edge defender and was still more productive than any Cardinal DL.

A questionmark for sure, but the Cardinals weren't terrible rushing the passer last year without him.

DCs don't have to be "premier" to be effective if they have the right players. Having more depth and two ILBs who don't embarrass themselves every time a ball is thrown will help Joseph a lot.

More hyperbole. Drake missed games as well.

Did you watch Streveler last year? Most teams have McCoy-level back ups.

As does almost every offense in the NFL. It's like worrying about rain. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. Green doesn't have to be "rejuvenated"....he just has to be better than Fitzgerald was last year. I would bet on that.

Disagree based on Green being better, moving Kirk to the inside should alone make the WRs more effective.

**** happens though, and the Cardinals look like they are specifically building a team that can compete in the NFC West first and foremost. I think Kingsbury is more positive than negative, but for this team to take a jump he has to get better at late game and end of half management. The NFL isn't horseshoes and hand grenades.

The Cardinals were significantly hurt by the lower than expected cap and they don't appear to want to mortgage future cap years for this season. What I fear isn't that all these guys are going to get hurt. What I fear is that most of these guys are on short deals and this type of offseason isn't always replicable.

Most of those teams were significantly worse. I remember the era when we were excited about UDFA guys, expecting them to start and contribute. Last years team was statistically pretty good. More points scored than given up, and was a top ten rushing team. I think the stats don't tell the full story, because obviously the team was 8-8, but the gains this offseason are way bigger than the losses. I expect 10 wins, but next year will have quite a few holes that have to be filled and that's a crappy way to build a team.

8. QuebecCard

QuebecCard Registered

Do bears dump in the forest?

9. slanidrac16

Respect your outlook and opinion.

Goldfield and Krangthebrain like this.
  10. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

Good news is, if we are a playoff team, more FA will want to come after this year as well.

Goldfield likes this.
  11. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

I have to say the Chase as a starter stuff is debatable. Do people not realize the best game of his NFL career he had 126 yards 3 TD's on 27 carries and yet it doesn't count as a starter because David Johnson was on the field for the first two snaps of the game, with 1 carry for 2 yards, and then Chase was the man the rest of teh game? 2 catches for 24 yards so he had 150 yards from scrimmage in that game but if you look at his stats as a starter you see 3 YPC each of the last 2 years because he wasn't on the field the first 2 plays.

He's had some injuries yes but he's missed 3 games in 3 years and has played 16 in 2 of those 3. Do I think he's among the best RB's in the NFL no, do I think he fits this offense well yes. Conner does better in short yardage than Drake did, that was a big issue last year several key short yardage plays Drake couldn't get it combo of blocking and him, and the refs not giving him that one td where it was obvious via human anatomy that the ball was over the line based on where his legs were. Conner has been better at those than Drake. Drake was a pretty good TD runner in the redzone but so is Conner. Drake has more top end speed but that was a negative last year he kept trying to bounce runs outside.

Goldfield likes this.
  12. football karma

football karma Happy in the pretense of knowledge

before and after, all grades PFF:

Golden for Reddick 59.9 -> 72.8
    Watt for Blackson 85.4 -> 44.1
    AJ Green for Fitzgerald 66.3-> 59.6
    Hudson for Cole 73.6 -> 54.4
    Butler for Peterson 74.5 -> 55.2
    Conner for Drake 69.4 -> 60.9
    Prater for Gonzales 64.2-> 59.3

if you want to throw draftees and the vets they are competing with:

Simmons for Campbell 59.9-> 49.0
    Collins for Hicks ? -> 50.4
    Moore for Isabella ? -> 56.8
    Wilson/Gowan for Kirkpatrick ? -> 49

again, PFF has its limitations. But by an objective measure, 6 of the 7 positions were upgraded. Corner, center, and d line were upgraded dramatically. Draftees are vying to replace low rated players.

note on grades: they roughly correspond with (pre grade inflation) school letter grades in that 90s are As, 80s are Bs, etc.

Billy Bob and Krangthebrain like this.
  13. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

It’s going to take me a while to recalibrate to the new season length and what number of wins means to me. 10 wins was always a strong mark to me. But in a 16 game season that represented a 62.5 winning percentage. Now 10 wins means 10-7. Three games above .500. 10-7 is a 58.8 winning percentage. Closer to 9-7’s 56.3 winning percentage. So “10 wins” is the new 9-7 to me (even though it’s one win better, obviously).

kerouac9, Cardiac and Russ Smith like this.
  14. BritCard

BritCard Registered

Yup. I hate 17 games.

PACardsFan likes this.
  15. Solar7

Solar7 Meh

My biggest fear about Chase is that the reason he's faded as a starter is because he can't handle teams game planning for him, or that his body just can't handle the workload. He's looked good in flashes but I just don't know if he's capable of being consistent.

As far as the game against the Giants goes, until you can do it multiple times, it's an aberration. Jonas Grey once ran for 200 yards and 4 TDs in a game only to proceed to get no more than 12 carries in a game ever again before his career ended the following year.