Star Trek Into Darkness (aka Star Trek XII)

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gotta agree here. I was underwhelmed by it and this is coming from someone who was at first skeptical about the reboot, but REALLY enjoyed the first film as top-notch blockbuster popcorn entertainment.

trailer seemed to fit right in with that to me. :mulli:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That came off as the absolute least "Star Trek-ish" thing I've seen with the Star Trek name on it.

Ever.

Considering movies 3 through 8 (or whatever the last non-Abrams flick was), how is this a bad thing?

Actually, I liked First Contact because it was Picard's Star Trek 2. Loved the Moby Dick references. But I consider it a guilty pleasure, because rationally I know it was a 2-hour TV episode foisted onto the big screen. It wasn't a movie movie.

This makes Star Trek look like a moooooovie.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
trailer seemed to fit right in with that to me. :mulli:

I just didn't think this looked... fun. It's something I've found with a lot of these big budgety thing since The Dark Knight, which was INCREDIBLY dark but a HELL of a time at the theaters and looked like it in the previews.

Iron Man 3, The Amazing Spiderman, Man Of Steele, hell... The Dark Knight Rises trailers were like the bleakest things I've ever seen... they all seem to be trying to do the same thing as TDK but just not doing much for me.

Skyfall was a pretty dark James Bond, but the trailer made it still look like an adventure with dark overtones. The other trailers I alluded to just look bleak for bleakness sake.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Considering movies 3 through 8 (or whatever the last non-Abrams flick was), how is this a bad thing?

Actually, I liked First Contact because it was Picard's Star Trek 2. Loved the Moby Dick references. But I consider it a guilty pleasure, because rationally I know it was a 2-hour TV episode foisted onto the big screen. It wasn't a movie movie.

This makes Star Trek look like a moooooovie.

I loved First Contact. Thought it was probably the third best in the series behind Khan and the reboot.

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
Im calling it now: Spock's gonna die

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you're wrong...but thats just between you and me because the rest of this thread might be spoilers ;)

It's hard to believe there are still arguments and discussions about this across the net given that the release is so close. If only the CIA and the White House could keep a secret this well. I'm not at all sure I'm right but it seems to make the most sense given the information that has come out. We'll soon see.

Steve

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Movie Poster (spoiler tags only because it's a big pic)

You must be registered for see images attach

Very cool, even given the Batmanish motif. The skyline in the background is London.

NoelPHX

Space for Sale
Reaction score
Anyone watch the 9 minute preview before the Hobbit 3D at certain AMC Imax theatres? Or *ahem* download the shaky came giggly girls during the whole 9 minute torrent?

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I disagree. It allowed them to start with a fresh slate. Keep in mind, to the Star Trek faithful, there's a lot more than just the TV shows and movies to consider. It's a lot of work to stay true to the probably thousand plus books that are also considered to be canon. It also opens the door to begin the franchise again with a younger cast. As for why they'd recycle a villian, I'm not sure but I do know this information had been leaked some time ago.

Steve

Actually, all it did was give them latitude to do whatever they wanted. Roddenberry would not be pleased.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Actually, all it did was give them latitude to do whatever they wanted. Roddenberry would not be pleased.
Agreed....and it wasn't necessary.
They could have easily treated these new run of films as a timeline during(or in between) the original series and before 1979's S.T:The Motion Picture.
The circle of characters were already older at the time that film came out,and as the subsequent sequels were done.

The latitude for writing was not hindered by the original series(the films that followed yes maybe,but i doubt we'll see this reboot still going with these young actors doing Star Trek in their 40's and 50's LOL).
They could have just written a solid sci-fi story for the reboot without the whole Spock prime,time travel crap etc...blah blah blah....and then consequently written more stories that could have simply been dropped into the original series as a 1 hour show(for canon)...except it would be a full length motion picture with fresh young faces.

Unless Abrams or whomever plans on killing off one or two or three members of that core of characters,then there's free roam. The only character that died in the films was Spock. ...and Kirk...who was OLD.
Rebooting the timeline was not necessary.

Still a great film,just saying....it could have been epic.

I can't speak for Gene.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Star Trek Fan Dies After J.J. Abrams Grants Him Advance Screening of 'Into Darkness'

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/star-trek-fan-dies-jj-408899

At a time when he didn't have much to look forward to, a Star Trek fan was given the opportunity to watch a rough cut of Star Trek: Into Darkness just days before he died.

When New York-based film buff Daniel Craft was told he had terminal cancer less than six weeks ago, Craft's friends and family took it upon themselves to make his last days as happy and comfortable as possible. His friend Doug posted a plea from Craft's wife, Paige, on the popular Internet message board Reddit, and the message was picked up by social media and the press until it eventually found its way to J.J. Abrams. The director granted him access to see an early edited version of the film, which isn't set to be released until May.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a huge Trek fan and I disagree the reboot was not necessary. Star Trek fandom was on it's way down and didn't look to recover any time soon. I had read attendance at conventions was way down, sales, merchandise..everything was down. Interest by networks wasn't there. I think JJ did exactly what needed to be done. I have been a huge Trek fan since I was a kid and I thought that a mistake would have been to reboot the series and pretend like the first one never existed or try and write between timelines. There is so much cannon it would have had severely limited creativity. Now the field is wide open. It's the type of fresh air the franchise needed.

They could have done the NEXT NEXT Generation but I am not sure that would have worked as I read over the years repeated attempts at pitching a new show and nobody was interested. The Next Generation movies had run out of steam. They needed a way to create a market for new fans but hang on to the last generation of fans. I thought JJ did it in spades.

I can't wait to see this film. Neither can my son. He tried watching the old TV show but sadly it didn't keep his interest because in his eyes it was "so fake". He tried watching the Next Generation movies but without every watching the series (before his time), he didn't have much interest. This new film did exactly what it was suppose to. He was a big fan on the last film and now he can't wait to see the new one. I am happy and he is as a new fan. Mission accomplished.

Last edited:

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Star Trek Fan Dies After J.J. Abrams Grants Him Advance Screening of 'Into Darkness'

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/star-trek-fan-dies-jj-408899

At a time when he didn't have much to look forward to, a Star Trek fan was given the opportunity to watch a rough cut of Star Trek: Into Darkness just days before he died.

When New York-based film buff Daniel Craft was told he had terminal cancer less than six weeks ago, Craft's friends and family took it upon themselves to make his last days as happy and comfortable as possible. His friend Doug posted a plea from Craft's wife, Paige, on the popular Internet message board Reddit, and the message was picked up by social media and the press until it eventually found its way to J.J. Abrams. The director granted him access to see an early edited version of the film, which isn't set to be released until May.

Class move and a nice story

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort