Spurs vs Suns SL Game Thread 7/13/18

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
In this game Bridges mostly hung around waiting for a 3 point shot. I was hoping to see him flash something that made him standout. I didn't see it.
I don’t think you’ll see that flash offensively. He’s not a ball handler or passer. He’s a very good shooter and defender. But his athleticism doesn’t seem to translate over to offense . . . yet (hopefully), just defense. In a game where no one else is drawing the d he will struggle offensively.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Did he stand out to you today or did you watch? A player can't always stand around and hope for an open shot.
I watched. First he didn’t play much. But he didn’t show much when he did. Having an Ayton and booker alongside him will make him MUCH more impactful. But this is why I’m not quick to give up JJ. I don’t think bridges can be a part of a big 3. He can be the best big fourth in the league, but his limitations in creating will limit his upside.

Errntknght

Reaction score
It was a successful SL from my perspective. Harrison, Reed and Williams were the three guys I was concerned about making the team. I'm still concerned about Williams but I'm sure that Harrison and Reed cemented spots though it looks like Reed may still have an injury issue. If he stays reasonably healthy, we have three first rate defenders in him, Harrison and Bridges plus Okobo and Jackson who are somewhat better than average. Moreover, it translated to good team defense in four out of five games. Ayton may or may not be a plus defender - he's got the tools to be great, of course, but we'll have to see how it goes. If he plays anywhere close to his ability, we could be a top defensive team. Not bad for the worst defensive team last year.

Kokoskov has his work cut out for him to turn this into a fully functional team but that is supposed to be his strong suit. If things fall into place in two or three months we will be in contention for the playoffs - especially if we get no respect early on, like we did Hornacek's first year. We got gifted a half dozen games, if you recall.

Other take aways: Jackson tried to do too much as we've remarked on - hopefully it's not indicative of the future but his lack of rebounding and playmaking are of concern. Reed showed some playmaking ability in two or three games - anything that dimishes the need to play BK is good news, IMO. Bridges seemed to be about as advertised - I was hoping for more but in spurts he looked first rate all around. Okobo was a bit ahead of my expectations though I was glad we drafted him. I hope he emerges as the starter as the season unfolds as he seems steadier than Harrison - and I love the prospect of Harrison coming off the bench to spark the second unit. If Shaq is the starter he may cruise on D, to conserve energy the way Bledsoe did. Yeech.
Bender helped his cause a little bit, IMO. Still an overall detriment to winning games. Peters played about even with his prior stints so he probably remains on the bubble. He's a bit ahead of Bender, IMO, but Bender was a #4 pick. Like others mentioned, Cooley showed a bit of nasty, which we do need - and he gets to the FT line a good bit. I think he's worth a camp invite, at least.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think that's a problem with how the Summer League is assembled. You have first round picks who are guaranteed spots on teams playing with guys trying to prove their place and earn a spot so they may be reluctant to get guys like Bridges and Ayton involved because they're already on the team. I'm not saying that's the cause behind them not receiving the ball or being passed to a lot because Shaq Harrison doesn't seem like a score first PG but perhaps it's something that other players think of. The 2 players Suns fans expected the most from or to have good showings were the 2 players who didn't get fed the ball very often.

I know Jackson was a bit reckless when he played but he had also earned his spot already and it was sort of a glorified pick-up game for him.
I don’t think this was the case at all. The majority of players getting minutes until today are guys on the team or likely/good shot to make the team:

Ayton
Bridges
Shaq
JJ
Bender
Reed
Okobo
Peters

Ate up the lions share of minutes. Those aren’t scrubs trying to show for spots. They are all draftees (or Shaq who got actual nba minutes past season) and other than peters all are first round or top of second round picks.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think this was the case at all. The majority of players getting minutes until today are guys on the team or likely/good shot to make the team:

Ayton
Bridges
Shaq
JJ
Bender
Reed
Okobo
Peters

Ate up the lions share of minutes. Those aren’t scrubs trying to show for spots. They are all draftees (or Shaq who got actual nba minutes past season) and other than peters all are first round or top of second round picks.

I meant it more as the Summer League makeup as a whole, not just on the Suns. I even specifically mentioned that it may not have effected things with Shaq on the Suns. I only pointed out how non-guaranteed players are playing for something different than guys who are already locked in. I did specifically mention Ayton and Bridges as examples of guys on guaranteed deals who didn't get passed the ball as much as some fans would have liked to have seen. I know the Suns have a lot more players that are guaranteed spots next year but I didn't feel the need to comment on their performances because they've been talked about a lot, in general. Having rosters made up with half of the players on guaranteed deals while the other half isn't could cause the non-guaranteed guys to play a little more selfish or at least try to showoff a little more. That's all.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think you’ll see that flash offensively. He’s not a ball handler or passer. He’s a very good shooter and defender. But his athleticism doesn’t seem to translate over to offense . . . yet (hopefully), just defense. In a game where no one else is drawing the d he will struggle offensively.

I watched. First he didn’t play much. But he didn’t show much when he did. Having an Ayton and booker alongside him will make him MUCH more impactful. But this is why I’m not quick to give up JJ. I don’t think bridges can be a part of a big 3. He can be the best big fourth in the league, but his limitations in creating will limit his upside.

I so agree with you about Josh Jackson. After the Suns sat him in summer league they were a different team. He brings so much energy and intensity to the Suns. It was greatly missed.

I guess I was discouraged a bit that Bridges couldn't create some open shot opportunities for himself. He will be dependent upon teammates so he needs to hit the open shot and play great defense. He is a bit of system player so he will need to find his niche. The good thing is the Suns think he will fit into their system nicely.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I meant it more as the Summer League makeup as a whole, not just on the Suns. I even specifically mentioned that it may not have effected things with Shaq on the Suns. I only pointed out how non-guaranteed players are playing for something different than guys who are already locked in. I did specifically mention Ayton and Bridges as examples of guys on guaranteed deals who didn't get passed the ball as much as some fans would have liked to have seen. I know the Suns have a lot more players that are guaranteed spots next year but I didn't feel the need to comment on their performances because they've been talked about a lot, in general. Having rosters made up with half of the players on guaranteed deals while the other half isn't could cause the non-guaranteed guys to play a little more selfish or at least try to showoff a little more. That's all.
I don’t disagree with you, conceptually, as I think that’s generally the case for summer league. I just don’t think that’s all that applicable to this suns squad due to who played primarily and from the eye test (I watched all the games).

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t disagree with you, conceptually, as I think that’s generally the case for summer league. I just don’t think that’s all that applicable to this suns squad due to who played primarily and from the eye test (I watched all the games).

I only watched the first 3 games, I missed the Sixers game and most of the game today. I was speaking more in general and didn't mean it so much as the Suns specifically but just in the Summer League style of play in response to what Mainstreet was mentioning prior to my post about how Bridges wasn't getting as many looks as he'd hoped to see. I guess I could have been more specific in my comment but I thought I was clear enough that I wasn't necessary calling out the Suns individually as much as just the Summer League format as a whole.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I guess I was discouraged a bit that Bridges couldn't create some open shot opportunities for himself. He will be dependent upon teammates so he needs to hit the open shot and play great defense. He is a bit of system player so he will need to find his niche. The good thing is the Suns think he will fit into their system nicely.
I’m not discouraged because he’s largely come as advertised. Shot creation and ballhandling were stated weaknesses or lacking skills throughout his career and widely accepted during the predraft process. But his defense and shooting seem to be for real. I think his shooting will take a season to really show as it will take him a bit (like all rookies) to adjust to the nba.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barkley was so clutch that year. I know the Suns came up short in the finals but Barkley had one of the greatest seasons in NBA history for a player who moved to a new team and in a new conference entirely. His run from the regular season all the way to the finals he played with ice water in his veins. He really was on a mission to get to the finals and how he stepped up in the playoffs to another level from his regular season play is exactly how you hope your star player will perform. Whenever a team is talked about missing a star as a closer I think of the Suns from the late 80's and early 90's as a good example of that. They added Barkley and became a contender. He was exactly what they were missing.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Spurs run is over.

Quite likely but I'm waiting for the Leonard situation to play out before declaring them so.

It's sort of like the horror films where the adversary never dies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose