Spurs @ Suns Tuesday game thread 4-4-2023

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okogie had 1 point. My gosh I hope Monty gives someone a shot at that spot before the playoffs. However, he might just be satisfied with his defense.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty says Cam Payne is fine. He is simply mixing and matching players.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hope he's telling the truth. We all know that they go out of their way to make light of injury and illness. I know there's a line they can't cross but for three years now they've walked awfully close to that line.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I’m sorry, but that’s idiotic. Shamet should NEVER see the floor of Payne is a go. This team has had too many injuries and too many new players to consider playing your regulars together a luxury.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Remember when the Suns lost 100 games in a row because they didn't have a point guard? Why the hell is Shamet playing point guard?

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’m sorry, but that’s idiotic. Shamet should NEVER see the floor of Payne is a go. This team has had too many injuries and too many new players to consider playing your regulars together a luxury.
It’s wild. Shamet has been such a bummer. And to think we could’ve had Jevon Carter for a 3rd of the price and possibly Cam Thomas in that trade we made.

We can’t tax CP3 before the playoffs. He was awesome tonight. How many games will he do that in the playoffs?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope he's telling the truth. We all know that they go out of their way to make light of injury and illness. I know there's a line they can't cross but for three years now they've walked awfully close to that line.

The Suns seem to have a tradition of not adding enough depth at point guard and power forward. I don't know what to say.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at the NBA home page at ESPN. I can't figure out why they are showing day old scores on the banner at the top of the page.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Remember when the Suns lost 100 games in a row because they didn't have a point guard? Why the hell is Shamet playing point guard?
Because you, me or anyone on this forum could play PG with Booker and KD to pass it off to.
Don't like Shamet either but he's the one going to war with them so any practice is good, I guess.
And this game was never in question.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the way I look at depth at the point guard and power forward positions.

Point guards can usually play shooting guard if necessary, but it's not always the case if the roles are reversed.

The same with power forwards. They can usually play center if necessary, but it's not always the case if the roles are reversed.

wagonmound464

Rookie
Reaction score
Except for Bismack and Tory,,,,,,Bench players were on floor for 42 minutes and scored ZERO points.

Not a good sign

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was curios about why he isn’t playing. Maybe Monty is reeling him in and giving this rotation a run. But to me Payne is necessary for a playoff run.

To build on this, completely dumb for a coach to this again. Time after time we are seeing different lineups, Monty players are not plug and play into your system. To a degree, yes, but each lineup needs to develop chemistry with each other. Switching puzzled pieces around this far into the season isn't going to help up going into the playoffs. I get it was an easier opponent but jeez man.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
To build on this, completely dumb for a coach to this again. Time after time we are seeing different lineups, Monty players are not plug and play into your system. To a degree, yes, but each lineup needs to develop chemistry with each other. Switching puzzled pieces around this far into the season isn't going to help up going into the playoffs. I get it was an easier opponent but jeez man.
It is concerning Monty is still searching but then again we have not had KD back that long. I personally still don't get why Okogie is starting other than his defense because he has been abysmal offensively in the starting lineup. He was much more productive off the bench. Sounds like though Monty is going to depend highly on Craig, Cam, Biz, Ross and Warren.

I do want to know what happened to Damion Lee. He hasn't been in the rotation for some time now. However, when he was seemed like he was regularly contributing. From December through January he was one of the league leaders in 3 point shooting which is one area we struggle with sometimes. Something had to have happened because with the often abysmal performance of our bench he can't still get in the game.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is silly.

When the other 4 starters are all scoring at will, you are mad that the worst option didn't take more shots? That doesn't make any sense.
That's a valid point but it ignores the fact that while Okogie, Shamet, Lee, Lee, Landale, Ross and Warren only took 15 shots - they made exactly none of them in their combined 71 minutes. I guess it's made worse because each night, at least one of our bench players will have to start. Fortunately both Craig and Biyombo stepped up.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is silly.

When the other 4 starters are all scoring at will, you are mad that the worst option didn't take more shots? That doesn't make any sense.
Obviously you have not been paying attention. Okogie has been starting since March 1st. His starting pre-dates getting Kevin back. It's not about him being the worst option. If you compare his production off the bench and in the starting lineup it's not close. He wasn't missing all the wide open shots as a bench player. You are acting like it's unreasonable to expect him to resemble himself off the bench. We are not talking volume of shots but I get why you would think that because I mentioned his point total but it's more than that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously you have not been paying attention. Okogie has been starting since March 1st. His staring pre-dates getting Kevin back. It's not about him being the worst option. If you compare his production off the bench and in the starting lineup it's not close. He wasn't missing all the wide open shots as a bench player. You are acting like it's unreasonable to expect him to resemble himself off the bench. We are not talking volume of shots but I get why you would think that because I mentioned his point total but it's more than that.
Actually he's been starting since February 10th. He scored well his first 5 games but has been very up and down since then. Obviously some of that inconsistency probably has to do with scouting reports but we need his defense now with CP3 in decline. Regardless, we need a 5th starter and not one of our options is ideal IMO.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson