Spurs @ Suns Tuesday game thread 4-4-2023

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually he's been starting since February 10th. He scored well his first 5 games but has been very up and down since then. Obviously some of that inconsistency probably has to do with scouting reports but we need his defense now with CP3 in decline.
I stand corrected. You are right it's been even longer. He hasn't really been up very often at all. After a decent start he was under 30% from 3 the entire month of march until he hit is 4/5. He has been in the low 30's for 2 pointers. I wouldn't expect him to put up the same number but he just about fell off the map. To the point where it looks like in games guys are not passing him the ball. It happened again last night. I watched Book ignore him being open a couple times. If Okogie isn't playing good defense he is pointless being out there.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is concerning Monty is still searching but then again we have not had KD back that long. I personally still don't get why Okogie is staring other than his defense because he has been abysmal offensively in the starting lineup. He was much more productive off the bench. Sounds like though Monty is going to depend highly on Craig, Cam, Biz, Ross and Warren.

I do want to know what happened to Damion Lee. He hasn't been in the rotation for some time now. However, when he was seemed like he was regularly contributing. From December through January he was one of the league leaders in 3 point shooting which is one area we struggle with sometimes. Something had to have happened because with the often abysmal performance of our bench he can't still get in the game.

Lee's defense is atrocious. And he commits bone headed fouls. Ross took his spot.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lee's defense is atrocious. And he commits bone headed fouls. Ross took his spot.
Ross can be streaky but I don't think Ross is any better on defense and Lee was lighting it up from three for a long stretch at one point this season. Plus, I think he is tenacious. I get it though...seems we have a bunch of "like" guys on this team.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure who has taken Lee's spot but he's definitely lost it. All told he's only logged 141 minutes since February 15th (a span of 20 Suns games).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ross can be streaky but I don't think Ross is any better on defense and Lee was lighting it up from three for a long stretch at one point this season. Plus, I think he is tenacious. I get it though...seems we have a bunch of "like" guys on this team.
Lee also went through a shooting slump. If he isn’t hitting threes he’s a net negative. That said, with our “big four” I’d get him some more run bc if he can regain the shooting stroke that 5 becomes deadly offensively.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lee also went through a shooting slump. If he isn’t hitting threes he’s a net negative. That said, with our “big four” I’d get him some more run bc if he can regain the shooting stroke that 5 becomes deadly offensively.
Yeah I'd prefer Damion as the 5th starter too, we're not fooling anyone with Okogie there. I'd rather have his intensity coming off the bench anyway. If there's another reason Lee isn't playing minutes that we don't know about, then I'd try Ross or Warren instead. The leftovers plus Craig, Okogie and Biz can give us some offense and a lot of energy coming off the bench.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah I'd prefer Damion as the 5th starter too, we're not fooling anyone with Okogie there. I'd rather have his intensity coming off the bench anyway. If there's another reason Lee isn't playing minutes that we don't know about, then I'd try Ross or Warren instead. The leftovers plus Craig, Okogie and Biz can give us some offense and a lot of energy coming off the bench.
So which Sun is going to be responsible for the team’s number one option? D Lee isn’t good defensively, we’re not going to wear out Book/KD on that end and CP3 is old.

Craig or Okogie have to be the 5th starter depending on matchups. I agree that Lee should see more time but not as a starter.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So which Sun is going to be responsible for the team’s number one option? D Lee isn’t good defensively, we’re not going to wear out Book/KD on that end and CP3 is old.

Craig or Okogie have to be the 5th starter depending on matchups. I agree that Lee should see more time but not as a starter.
Our problem is we have no one to handle the opposing team's number one if he's a quick guard. But we still have that problem even with Josh or Torrey in the lineup. And with Okogie out there, offensively we are always being forced to play 4 on 5 now that the other teams are paying attention to him. I'd be willing to use Craig as the 5th starter but it seems like every time we start to count on him he struggles. Coincidence maybe but it has me a little concerned with him.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Our problem is we have no one to handle the opposing team's number one if he's a quick guard. But we still have that problem even with Josh or Torrey in the lineup. And with Okogie out there, offensively we are always being forced to play 4 on 5 now that the other teams are paying attention to him. I'd be willing to use Craig as the 5th starter but it seems like every time we start to count on him he struggles. Coincidence maybe but it has me a little concerned with him.
In the playoffs realistically the dynamic guards we’ll face are potentially Steph and to a Wayyyy lesser extent Austin Reeves. Westbrook doesn’t concern me much if the Clippers are relying on him to carry a significant load.

Now in round 2 we’d have to deal with a Jamal Murray. I think Okogie would get the nod to try and make life difficult for him. Torrey would be good if we played the Lakers since his size might be more of a detriment to LeBron than Okogie.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is concerning Monty is still searching but then again we have not had KD back that long. I personally still don't get why Okogie is starting other than his defense because he has been abysmal offensively in the starting lineup. He was much more productive off the bench. Sounds like though Monty is going to depend highly on Craig, Cam, Biz, Ross and Warren.

I do want to know what happened to Damion Lee. He hasn't been in the rotation for some time now. However, when he was seemed like he was regularly contributing. From December through January he was one of the league leaders in 3 point shooting which is one area we struggle with sometimes. Something had to have happened because with the often abysmal performance of our bench he can't still get in the game.

It looks like the Suns want Shamet and Ross to be a part of the rotation, but I'm not sure Damion Lee doesn't bring as much to the table as one of these two players.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the playoffs realistically the dynamic guards we’ll face are potentially Steph and to a Wayyyy lesser extent Austin Reeves. Westbrook doesn’t concern me much if the Clippers are relying on him to carry a significant load.

Now in round 2 we’d have to deal with a Jamal Murray. I think Okogie would get the nod to try and make life difficult for him. Torrey would be good if we played the Lakers since his size might be more of a detriment to LeBron than Okogie.
I don't know. I don't think we have a great option. And who starts might not be all that important since we're going to have to adjust a lot because of roster weaknesses.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like the Suns want Shamet and Ross to be a part of the rotation, but I'm not sure Damion Lee doesn't bring as much to the table as one of these two players.
Every time I hear "Shamet" I think of "damn it" that the Suns wasted cap space on that guy.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Oh I don’t want to start Lee for that bee reason. I just want him to get some run with those four.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice win. Looked effortless. Nice even distribution of scoring by Book, Durant, Paul, and Ayton.

Of course, it's too bad we did not get an absolutely perfect distribution of points across our entire starting rotation and our bench. We needed our bench to score 30 and Okogie to get into double figures along with all the other stuff for it to be a real win.

Because winning is never enough.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ross has been pretty awful recently as well, but I have noticed him at least trying hard on defense.

Ross and Lee are both streaky imo. To me Ross' temperature is way higher than a hot Lee. Plus at least he's taller and more athletic, he doesn't use those features to his advantage but that gives him the edge over Lee. Ross does dumb fouls but Lee is just a turn style.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Because you, me or anyone on this forum could play PG with Booker and KD to pass it off to.
Don't like Shamet either but he's the one going to war with them so any practice is good, I guess.
And this game was never in question.
Shamet threw the ball to the Spurs one second after a time out, then committed two fouls in the following 10 seconds. I guess you're right that I could probably do that too.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every time I hear "Shamet" I think of "damn it" that the Suns wasted cap space on that guy.
I'm okay with the cap space, until all the nagging injuries he was probably tradable thanks to the way his contract was structured. I think losing a roster spot hurts us as much if not more, or maybe it's that the team has apparently misassumed we have a rotation spot taken care of because of him.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ross and Lee are both streaky imo. To me Ross' temperature is way higher than a hot Lee. Plus at least he's taller and more athletic, he doesn't use those features to his advantage but that gives him the edge over Lee. Ross does dumb fouls but Lee is just a turn style.
Ross is at least trying to play D seems to be getting after it more even had a block last night. And I agree he has length and try’s that’s more than D Lee, but Lee should still get some spit minutes maybe in those times where we seem to be able to buy a bucket! Monty imo needs to get his **** together and stop with different lineups every damn night we have 3 games left make a decision and let it ride. Can always mix it up but let a lineup have a few games together geesh!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Shamet threw the ball to the Spurs one second after a time out, then committed two fouls in the following 10 seconds. I guess you're right that I could probably do that too.
He was just dreadful for the second game in a row.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ross is at least trying to play D seems to be getting after it more even had a block last night. And I agree he has length and try’s that’s more than D Lee, but Lee should still get some spit minutes maybe in those times where we seem to be able to buy a bucket! Monty imo needs to get his **** together and stop with different lineups every damn night we have 3 games left make a decision and let it ride. Can always mix it up but let a lineup have a few games together geesh!

I would say Ross looks less lost than he did when he first joined our roster. I did notice last night his head was on swivel more than ever while on defense, and he looked more attentive on that end. I agree, quite tinkering with the lineups and minute swings, you're effin with your players there.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was just dreadful for the second game in a row.
He has been dreadful on and off all season long. I am not just talking bad but dreadful. When you sign a guy like that you expect him to have bad games but sheesh.

Shamet is the only guy I hear fans at the arena .....using his name in place of "damn it" constantly. It's actually funny and disturbing at the same time. I kid you not, in the section I was sitting in? Like 30 fans all shouted it almost at once and I have heard it multiple times at other games I have been at.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say Ross looks less lost than he did when he first joined our roster. I did notice last night his head was on swivel more than ever while on defense, and he looked more attentive on that end. I agree, quite tinkering with the lineups and minute swings, you're effin with your players there.

Ross looks much more comfortable with the Suns, although it would be nice if he wasn't scoreless in his last four games.

Hopefully his shooting will come around. He has beautiful form on his shot with a nice high release.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Our role guys are low iq players. I don’t trust any of them to make the right read or play in a big playoff moment. Imagine have the role players that the Miami Big-3 had; Mike Miller, Ray Allen, Udonis Haslem, Shane Battier etc…

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson