Sporting News ranking of BCS head coaches

OP
OP
A

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
when Grobe or Rich Rodriguez win a National Championship then you can call them better than Mack Brown, Bobby Bowden, Urban Meyer or any coach that has won championships this generation.

So with thinking like that then you do think that Erickson is a better coach than Mack Brown, Urban Meyer, etc, who have ONLY won 1 championship this generation?

OP
OP
A

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
I do like Stoops. He's got guts. His offense wasn't working, so he hired an offensive guru to fix it. Stoops is stuck with cleaning up a mess. If UA is patient, I think he'll do it.

Sorry buddy,
I thought mao was putting words in your mouth, obviously I was wrong.

BTW, who is stoops going to hire to fix that defense?

Also, who is he going to hire to make sure his program isn't the only division 1A school out of 112 to lose football scholies again because of their horrible APR score?

Anyways, stoops offense sucks, his defense is below average at best, he lost his place kicker in the draft, and he's lost scholies once again...I sure do hope that ua's AD shows a lot more patience with him...

Last edited:

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Sorry buddy,
I thought mao was putting words in your mouth, obviously I was wrong.

BTW, who is stoops going to hire to fix that defense?

Also, who is he going to hire to make sure his program isn't the only division 1A school out of 112 to lose football scholies again because of their horrible APR score?

Anyways, stoops offense sucks, his defense is below average at best, he lost his place kicker in the draft, and he's lost scholies once again...I sure do hope that ua's AD shows a lot more patience with him...

Sonny Dykes is installing a new offense this year, so it will be a while before anyone knows if it "sucks" or not.

Fix the defense? FYI, the Cats were 3rd in the PAC-10 in scoring defense, but don't let the facts get in the way of your bias. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
A

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Sonny Dykes is installing a new offense this year, so it will be a while before anyone knows if it "sucks" or not.

Fix the defense? FYI, the Cats were 3rd in the PAC-10 in scoring defense, but don't let the facts get in the way of your bias. :rolleyes:

The cats were #49 in the nation in total defense last year, but don't let the facts get in the way of your bias...http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2006/Internet/ranking_summary/2006000000029.HTML
:rolleyes:

Isn't defense supposed to be what stoops is actually good at?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Sonny Dykes is installing a new offense this year, so it will be a while before anyone knows if it "sucks" or not.:rolleyes:

Actually, I can watch each game and decide if the O "sucks" or not...BTW, I'm pretty sure stoops doesn't have "a while" before his boss decides if stoops was a good or horrible hire.

Last edited:

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
The cats were #49 in the nation in total defense last year, but don't let the facts get in the way of your bias...http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2006/Internet/ranking_summary/2006000000029.HTML
:rolleyes:

Isn't defense supposed to be what stoops is actually good at?

The Cats were 49th in total defense and 35th out of 119 teams in scoring defense last year, which is the only statistic that really matters, giving up points. You consider that to be "below average at best"?

Look, we all know you hate UofA. Fine. But don't try to convince us you know anything about UofA football because you are just making a fool of yourself.

OP
OP
A

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
The Cats were 49th in total defense and 35th out of 119 teams in scoring defense last year, which is the only statistic that really matters, giving up points. You consider that to be "below average at best"?

Look, we all know you hate UofA. Fine. But don't try to convince us you know anything about UofA football because you are just making a fool of yourself.

I know plenty about ua football, USC football, UCLA football, Florida football, NAU football, etc, etc...It's called being a fan of college football. Maybe ua football is the only college football team you know anything about, but don't assume college football fans in general only follow 1 team.

ASU was 51st in total defense last year. I'd consider that below average at best. Hence, i'd consider #49 to be in the same category. But maybe my standards aren't as low as yours? Hey, if you're proud of that d then fine with me.

Actually the only stats that really matter reside in the W/L column.

Last edited:

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZBALLER, ASU and many other schools avoided scholarship losses by a slim technicality that will go away next year. Let's not gloat too soon.

OP
OP
A

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Just think about how many more scholies those schools, who are already losing scholarships, will now lose without the "technicality".

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
So recruiting ability is not a part of being a college football coach? Most people around the game will tell you it's pretty much the most important thing other than milking money out of boosters. The proof is in the pudding, when Grobe or Rich Rodriguez win a National Championship then you can call them better than Mack Brown, Bobby Bowden, Urban Meyer or any coach that has won championships this generation.

So recruiting is a major part of what you believe makes a successful coach? I can buy that, but then dont say the only way to be considered at the top is to win a National Championship. Nothing is that black and white. There are a ton of great coaches who have never won a NC and it has nothing to do with them "not being a great coach"

Do you honestly think, with WF's academic standards, they can compete with the FSU's and Miami's and VTech's of the ACC for recruits?? They cant. That is why Grobe is such a great coach. With what he does with the recruits he has is undeniable.

mesacat

Reaction score
AZballer,
If "Actually the only stats that really matter reside in the W/L column", why you bringin' up stats then? ya know, you talk like asu has a record comparable to usc or something. there were 5 teams that tied in the pac last year including ua and asu. if you think ua sucks with a W/L of 6-6, then what does that say about asu at 7-6. and that's including your cupcake schedule.

OP
OP
A

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
AZballer,
If "Actually the only stats that really matter reside in the W/L column", why you bringin' up stats then? ya know, you talk like asu has a record comparable to usc or something. there were 5 teams that tied in the pac last year including ua and asu. if you think ua sucks with a W/L of 6-6, then what does that say about asu at 7-6. and that's including your cupcake schedule.

ASU fired their coach. Need I say more?

OP
OP
A

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
AZballer,
If "Actually the only stats that really matter reside in the W/L column", why you bringin' up stats then?

I wasn't bringin up stats. A ua fan brought that to the table, and I responded with a complete set of stats...

OP
OP
A

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
AZballer,
if you think ua sucks with a W/L of 6-6, then what does that say about asu at 7-6. and that's including your cupcake schedule.

Have you seen ua's new schedule??? What a joke!!! Talking about cupcake schedules...

mesacat

Reaction score
Have you seen ua's new schedule??? What a joke!!! Talking about cupcake schedules...

the past three yrs UA had 4 ranked opponents in their non conference schedule as oposed to ASU's 2. who's holds the record for cupcake schedules now recently? In 2007, BYU might be ranked and non of ASU's opponents will...AGAIN.

but I agree, 2008 schedule is a joke, but comparable to ASU's schedule.

OP
OP
A

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Just to inform you cat fans, NOW the NCAA allows 12 regular season games, as opposed to 11. This means that A TON of teams will now have 8 home games in a season, just as ua will have quite soon...But I guess it's just nicer to have an excuse for having a bad team, instead of admitting your rival is better than you?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
I guess cupcake is your word of the day - try the Food Forum...
It's OK Dback Jon.
I take no offense to people bringing up cupcakes. I personally wouldn't compare cupcakes to an easy schedule, but if a ua fan feels the need to make fun of cupcakes, then appparently he doesn't appreciate good/cheap snacks, and apparently I need to stoop(pun intended) to his/her level.

Anyways, is their a "Food Forum" on this site?

Last edited:

mesacat

Reaction score
It's OK Dback Jon.
I take no offense to people bringing up cupcakes. I personally wouldn't compare cupcakes to an easy schedule, but if a ua fan feels the need to make fun of cupcakes, then appparently he doesn't appreciate good/cheap snacks, and apparently I need to stoop(pun intended) to his/her level.

Anyways, is their a "Food Forum" on this site?

how's creme puff then? ASU ranks last in strength of schedules for '07 in the Pac and not even mention in the top 25 nationally ...they figured how to go bowling every year.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/06/19/schedules.pac10/2.html

Trey

Registered
Reaction score
Birth to 32, Phoenix. Now, enemy territory.