Sporting News ranking of BCS head coaches

OP
OP
A

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
This list further shows me that UCLA's AD is asleep behind the wheel.

They've got maybe the top men's basketball program in the land, they have one of the top baseball programs in the nation, and they could have a football program on USC's level, but for some reason they're content with Dorrell. Dorrell reminds me of Koetter. He's a quality coach who continues to get better with time, but he's not ready to lead a program to BCS bowl games yet...UCLA shouldn't have to train a coach on the job. Why wouldn't they go after a Nick Saban type coach?

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
UCLA being considered the nation's top hoops program is laughable at best considering they just got their asses whipped two years in a row by Florida, the only team that has a legitimate argument for such a title.

Back to the topic, that list is absolutely idiotic and that's being generous.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
UCLA being considered the nation's top hoops program is laughable at best considering they just got their asses whipped two years in a row by Florida, the only team that has a legitimate argument for such a title.

Back to the topic, that list is absolutely idiotic and that's being generous.
He did say maybe the top, right? Would you accept one of the top hoops programs?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
He did say maybe the top, right? Would you accept one of the top hoops programs?
Absolutely, but there's no argument for anybody else. Even suggesting another program as a possibility after what the Gators did the last two years shows a lack of college hoops knowledge. But that's to be expected from someone who posted an article that stated Jim Grobe is a better coach than Mack Brown, Urban Meyer, Bobby Bowden, and Joe Paterno.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely, but there's no argument for anybody else. Even suggesting another program as a possibility after what the Gators did the last two years shows a lack of college hoops knowledge. But that's to be expected from someone who posted an article that stated Jim Grobe is a better coach than Mack Brown, Urban Meyer, Bobby Bowden, and Joe Paterno.
True. Forget I said anything. Jim Groh, the guy at Virginia? Really?

OP
OP
A

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
I said MAYBE the top PROGRAM in the land, not the top team. I'd hardly consider that "laughable". UCLA has been to 2 consecutive final fours and returns most of their team for next season. Florida is basically going to lose their entire squad in the draft. There's a difference between having a great team and having a great program. For example ua has a very good basketball program, yet they didn't have a very good basketball team last year...but of course I wouldn't expect someone that says, "UCLA being considered the nation's top hoops program is laughable at best", to grasp the difference between the terms "team" and "program"...

OP
OP
A

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
BTW mao, did you even read the following sentence?

"Far from scientific, but an interesting look at how 1 man ranks the BCS coaches."

OP
OP
A

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Even suggesting another program as a possibility after what the Gators did the last two years shows a lack of college hoops knowledge. But that's to be expected from someone who posted an article that stated Jim Grobe is a better coach than Mack Brown, Urban Meyer, Bobby Bowden, and Joe Paterno.

Joe Pa is over the hill, Bobby Bowden is over the hill, Mack Brown has as much talent on his squad as any team in the nation every year yet he only has 1 national championship to show for it, and Urban Meyer is a great coach.

Some might say your examples show a lack of college football knowledge, but of course I wouldn't go that far ;)

OP
OP
A

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
I'm guessing you rarely read these boards as there are ASU fans around here that think more of Mike Stoops than I do.

Who?

Maybe you are a little confused, as ASU fans love stoops as ua's coach, because he's a horrible coach? Or maybe you're just making things up?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Upon further review maybe this is a horrible article/ranking of current college football coaches...Is ua really about to go on probation again for their APR rankings? Are they really going to lose 7 scholies, and be ineligible to play in a bowl game next year? Man that stoops guy is way overrated, and he isn't even rated high...I guess I shouldn't question UCLA's AD, when it's clear that ua has an even worse AD.

OP
OP
A

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Here's a APR article: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/05/02/apr.report/index.html

On a different note, I don't know why people don't hold Ty Willingham in higher regard. He's a solid coach, who's a proven winner at schools that require their football players to actually be STUDENT athletes...If I were a betting man(I am) a lot of my bets would involve UDubb beating the spread next season...

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Who?

Maybe you are a little confused, as ASU fans love stoops as ua's coach, because he's a horrible coach? Or maybe you're just making things up?
Skkorp for one is an ASU fan and has said he thinks Stoops will turn Arizona around. I personally think he's wrong, but again you get proven incorrect. Same with your breaking news about Arizona's APR score, Arizona will lose four scholarships and not seven and they only will get barred from bowl competition after the 2008 season should the academic woes continue. Nice try though.

OP
OP
A

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Skkorp for one is an ASU fan and has said he thinks Stoops will turn Arizona around. I personally think he's wrong, but again you get proven incorrect.

What gets proven incorrect is ALL of your posts kissing stoops arse. You've typed more good things about that coach than the rest of the posters on this site combinded. BTW how is ua's next GREAT recruiting class coming along? Is Gabe an All American yet? How's that AWESOME defense? Has Tui won the Heisman yet? You're really the only one who's continually hyped that coach.

[/QUOTE]Same with your breaking news about Arizona's APR score, Arizona will lose four scholarships and not seven and they only will get barred from bowl competition after the 2008 season should the academic woes continue. Nice try though.[/QUOTE]
Nice try at what? stating facts?

"Are they really going to lose 7 scholies, and be ineligible to play in a bowl game next year?"

Do you know how to read mao? Do you know what a question is?

I threw that article out there to show that ua will probably lose at least 4 scholies, there are quite a few other articles saying ua will lose 7 scholies.

But since you don't know anything about this, I'll let you in on some more knowledge: ua will appeal this decision, and they might not end up losing 4 scholies(and if they do, then some might be retroactive to last year) and they might not lose bowl eligibility.

Do some homework man.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
I'm guessing you rarely read these boards as there are ASU fans around here that think more of Mike Stoops than I do.

Hey Skkorp, do you think more of mike stoops than mao does? Because he's sure putting words in your mouth...Furthermore mao, your post indicates that there are multiple ASU fans that think more of mike stoops than you do...why not list them?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

What gets proven incorrect is ALL of your posts kissing stoops arse. You've typed more good things about that coach than the rest of the posters on this site combinded.
Good call!

Mao said:
I would not shed a tear if Mike (Stoops) left Arizona

Mao said:
You're befuddled? Mike Stoops also got a contract extension (albeit only one year) by going 3-8...twice.

Mao said:
Stoops results are unacceptable and his personality especially on the field again is helping put the nail in his coffin

Also feel free to talk to maddogkf and he can reference me saying Stoops would not work halfway through his first season as I detailed the multitude of problems he brought to the program. Stoops is a terrific recruiter and a very marginal coach, been saying that since halfway through that 2004 season.

OP
OP
A

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Good call!

Also feel free to talk to maddogkf and he can reference me saying Stoops would not work halfway through his first season as I detailed the multitude of problems he brought to the program. Stoops is a terrific recruiter and a very marginal coach, been saying that since halfway through that 2004 season.

This is like pulling teeth from a baby.

So you admit that you thought stoops was a good hire and a good coach, yet you changed your mind later. Yet you claim ASU fans think highly of stoops? Get a grip on reality buddy.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is like pulling teeth from a baby.

So you admit that you thought stoops was a good hire and a good coach, yet you changed your mind later. Yet you claim ASU fans think highly of stoops? Get a grip on reality buddy.
You pull teeth from babies?

I love love love Stoops. I hope he stays for another five or ten years.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Skkorp, do you think more of mike stoops than mao does? Because he's sure putting words in your mouth...Furthermore mao, your post indicates that there are multiple ASU fans that think more of mike stoops than you do...why not list them?

I do like Stoops. He's got guts. His offense wasn't working, so he hired an offensive guru to fix it. Stoops is stuck with cleaning up a mess. If UA is patient, I think he'll do it.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score

Mack Brown recruits, never has been a coach. Bobby "Just off the back 9" Bowden plays more golf than anything these days, Joe Paterno has always been a solid coach but a little behind the times. Urban Meyer has never won with any of his recruits. Ever.

I tend to agree with this list. Rich Rod is an offensive genius and is sought after by more college coaches every off season to teach them his schemes, and Jim Grobe, whether at Air Force, Ohio U, or WF gets soooo much out of such little talent it is undeniable.

Both of the coaches are Top 10 IMO

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
So recruiting ability is not a part of being a college football coach? Most people around the game will tell you it's pretty much the most important thing other than milking money out of boosters. The proof is in the pudding, when Grobe or Rich Rodriguez win a National Championship then you can call them better than Mack Brown, Bobby Bowden, Urban Meyer or any coach that has won championships this generation.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedzBetz