Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wachowski Bros. Developing Speed Racer?
Source: IGN Filmforce
June 2, 2006

The last time we heard anything about Warner Bros.' live-action big screen adaptation of Japanese cartoon series Speed Racer was about two years ago. Back then, it was reported that Vince Vaughn was in talks to star as Racer X in the film, being produced by Joel Silver and Richard and Lauren Shuler Donner.

Now, IGN Filmforce has learned that Larry and Andy Wachowski, the creators of "The Matrix" trilogy, may write and direct the feature film.

The site says that none of the parties involved would go on record when asked about the project.

Racer X is the long-lost but protective brother of the title character, the young driver who travels from race to race with his family.

:thud:

:cool:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wachowski Brothers Helming Speed Racer
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
November 1, 2006

The big-screen, live-action version of Speed Racer is ready to go, this time with Larry and Andy Wachowski ("The Matrix" trilogy) behind the wheel, says The Hollywood Reporter.

The Wachowski brothers are writing and will direct the Warner Bros. movie, which will be produced by Joel Silver. They are reuniting with several of the creative behind-the-scenes talent from the "Matrix" films, including executive producer Grant Hill and visual effects supervisor John Gaeta, who won an Oscar for his work on The Matrix.

Based on the classic 1960s series created by anime pioneer Tatsuo Yoshida that later was retooled for North American audiences, the big-screen film will follow the adventures of the young race car driver Speed in his quest for glory in his thundering gadget-laden vehicle, Mach 5. The movie will feature other characters from the show, including Speed's family and his mysterious archrival, Racer X.

When Silver worked on V For Vendetta with the Wachowskis, he approached them about tackling the project. The duo were reluctant to do it unless they could figure out a way to bring something new to the table.

"They are approaching these racing scenes in a way you've never seen before," said Silver, adding that the brothers are designing the movie's look as they write.

The plan is for the Wachowskis to shoot the family-friendly film in summer 2007 for a summer 2008 release.

:cool: :thumbup:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speed Racer Gets the Green Flag for May 9, 2008
Source: Warner Bros. Pictures
March 9, 2007

The live-action feature Speed Racer will start its engines to open on May 9, 2008, two weeks earlier than previously slated. In addition to opening wide domestically, the actioner will be released day-and-date in a majority of the international markets. The announcement was made today by Dan Fellman, President of Domestic Distribution, and Veronika Kwan-Rubinek, President of International Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures.

In making the announcement, Fellman stated, "We have been excited about 'Speed Racer' since we first announced the project. We see it as a movie with broad-based, worldwide appeal--from adults to teens to families--making it the perfect film to lead off our exciting 2008 Summer slate. We want to give 'Speed Racer' the maximum playability throughout the season, so moving it up to the earliest possible date made the most sense."

Kwan-Rubinek added, "Opening 'Speed Racer' day-and-date with the U.S. in most international markets will not only allow audiences to see the film early but will maximize business before the start of the European Soccer Championships."

Speed Racer is being written and directed by Larry and Andy Wachowski, marking the brothers' first writing/directing collaboration since their groundbreaking "Matrix" movies. The film is being produced by Joel Silver under his Silver Pictures banner.

Based on the classic series created by anime pioneer Tatsuo Yoshida, the big-screen Speed Racer will follow the adventures of the young race car driver Speed in his quest for glory in his thundering Mach 5.

Speed Racer is a Warner Bros. Pictures presentation, in association with Village Roadshow Pictures, of a Silver Pictures Production.

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cool - i loved the cartoon when i was a kid. i haven't bought any of the series on dvd yet, but i have been wanting to.

shawn

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I watched Speed Racer and Kimba:The White Lion every Saturday when I was a kid.
Who lives down in deepest darkest Africa?
Who's the one who brought the jungle fame?
Who's the king of Animals in Africa?
Kimba the white lion is his name!

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I hope Trixie is hot and I wonder if they'll CGI Chim Chim

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I was never a big fan of speed racer. :|

I agree that it was really dumb, with the close up of their "ooooooo!" faces and the same plot line every week. I watched it for the same reason I watched BJ and the Bear, I love shows with a man and his monkey

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that it was really dumb, with the close up of their "ooooooo!" faces and the same plot line every week. I watched it for the same reason I watched BJ and the Bear, I love shows with a man and his monkey

so you film a lot of home movies? :shrug:

shawn

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Movie poster:

You must be registered for see images attach