Sorry if this is Elsewhere

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
not me because look who else was on the roster? it wasn't that he can't play outside, it was that they had 3 first round picks on the outside already IMO.

He was better in the slot than any of them so he played there./

I'm a huge Waddle guy so I'm biased but I really have 2 fears on him, that the injury might not be fully healed, I hated that he played in the bowl game he was clearly hobbling. And that if he's as good as I think he is, he might a 1 year wonder punt returner who's then so good you can't risk injury, much like PP was. I hate having a guy that lethal and telling him fair catch or run out of bounds don't take big hits.

You may be right but if so why so little production in the snaps he has had outside? I'm not sure I want to spend a pick on a maybe when it's a strong WR class. Why not just get a guy you know can play outside?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the Zaven Collins at #16 bandwagon has started

Gambo is talking about him now

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may be right but if so why so little production in the snaps he has had outside? I'm not sure I want to spend a pick on a maybe when it's a strong WR class. Why not just get a guy you know can play outside?

Not sure. I know it's not popular because they were both highly rated but Bama really only had 1 guy who IMO had an NFL arm at QB when he was there, Jalen Hurts, and he left. Tua was a great college player with great timing but he has a weak arm. Jones has a better arm than Tua but again if you watch the highlights he was underthrowing Waddle over and over

I can't remember who threw it I want to say Hurts but his true freshman year there's a play where the ball is clearly overthrown I mean it looks in the air like he has no chance. he not only caught it, he didn't even have to dive to get it he was reaching forward so much he lost his footing after the throw but that was the play where I thought this guy is amazing. The announcers were in shock they could not believe he tracked that ball down.

I guess the concern is Kyler is better outside than inside so if the WR can't kill you outside he's wasted. I just think Kyler is going to get better inside, and I think Waddle CAN play outside.

I think this year the plan is Nuk and AJ on the outside so if we take Waddle he's taking snaps away from Kirk and maybe some from Green outside.

I don't think he'll be there I keep seeing mocks of him in the top 10 and several have him ahead of Smith.

I have real concerns about Farley the injuries and then not playing at all last year I wonder if he'll be able to play as a rookie, but I suspect he's our guy or Collins as others said

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I'm fine with drafting him to play slot but the overall narrative here has been that Kirk should move inside permanently to play slot as he is better suited there and we need a WR2 to play outside if/when AJ Green goes or if Green is injured.

Waddle doesn't fit if that is the case.

And an argument can me made about why potentially have 2 slot guys in Kirk and Waddle and no good outside WR2?

I think Bateman can be a superb outside receiver in the NFL and you wouldn't need to trade up to get him, as you likely would with Waddle.

I think I would rather have Nuk, Kirk, Green, Bateman plus a 3rd round RB next year than Nuk, Kirk, Green, Waddle and no 3rd round pick next year (or potentially 2nd).
My guess.... the air raid traditionally runs four wide pretty often in which case it’s pretty easy to utilize an additional slot receiver... or “ inside “ receivers as they call’em

but I’m kinda with you on this.... we got our Michael Irvin.... our Jerry Rice.... we need our Alvin Harper.... our Clark.... we need another Anquan Boldin
Maybe Green fills the bill for now I dunno.... he was so mired in mediocrity in cincy I actually forgot he was still playing football.... but he was great in his prime and great players taper off more often than they fall off a cliff so maybe Green has a couple seasons left in him... we don’t need a thousand out of him.... 800 and 8 TDs would be enough to take some attention off Hopkins and I would consider it a fantastic season for him

but we need a young guy sooner rather than later.... I prefer a bigger guy outside 6’3”+ with 4.4 speed or better if we can get it.... don’t think a guy like that is available to us in this draft at 16 ..... if only we had drafted that other guy instead of Isabella....