Someone explain AJ Green to me?

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We both know how Keim operates, now that Green is signed he'll think we're set at WR lol.
I hope to god you're right. I think we'd be better overall drafting DL/OL with our first couple picks. Frankly I'm a little uneasy about some of the WR's that are projected to be around at 23.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I hope to god you're right. I think we'd be better overall drafting DL/OL with our first couple picks. Frankly I'm a little uneasy about some of the WR's that are projected to be around at 23.
If we draft a WR in the 2nd round which I hope we don't but if we do, I want Wan'dale Robinson from Kentucky. Obviously I'm biased but the Kid is a baller. Go watch the citrus bowl game against Iowa & see the plays he makes, especially on the last drive. He got annihilated on this one hit across the Middle on 4th down & held on to the ball to keep the drive alive. DL & OL is the way to go though imo, we need a stud DT & an edge rusher, totally sucks that Keim let Reddick walk away.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Let me explain base truth removed from what we owe someone for past achievements, we were giving Fitz 11 million a season for less production than Green at a mere 3 million. By all means I get we still need another option at WR but to be upset to add him makes no sense. Meh, yeah, but upset at Green does not compute

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not an AJ Green fan. Dumb signing, he is over the hill. Terrible off season for the Cards. Team has not improved while others have.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently, and this isn't 100%, it's a 3m base guaranteed with incentives up to 6m.

Which is frankly a steal.

Yeah if that's the deal it's a good one

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Seems like a good deal. I wouldn’t call it a “steal” but it’s fair.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Well I predicted after all the consternation when he was signed; he’d end with 800 yds receiving. That was a decent buy on cost per catch. I agree his age showed up some towards season’s end, but Hopkins was out also. It‘s hard to say how much will change after the draft. I’d be surprised if the Cards don’t select a “play early” WR, preferably in round 1. If Green does end up the number 2 target, I think he’ll post another 800 if he stays healthy. Murray will be familiar with him from the season’s start and Green will know the offense better. Plus if Hopkins doesn’t get hurt, Green won’t wear down as much. I think Green is just a serviceable placeholder until a new starter is acquired. The price is right.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Well I predicted after all the consternation when he was signed; he’d end with 800 yds receiving. That was a decent buy on cost per catch. I agree his age showed up some towards season’s end, but Hopkins was out also. It‘s hard to say how much will change after the draft. I’d be surprised if the Cards don’t select a “play early” WR, preferably in round 1. If Green does end up the number 2 target, I think he’ll post another 800 if he stays healthy. Murray will be familiar with him from the season’s start and Green will know the offense better. Plus if Hopkins doesn’t get hurt, Green won’t wear down as much. I think Green is just a serviceable placeholder until a new starter is acquired. The price is right.
Kirk was the second receiving option in the offense; Green just held down the outside position. We’re really betting a lot on Ertz to carry a large volume of the offense—somewhere between what he had when he got here plus 60% of Kirk’s volume.

I expect Rondale Moore to take the rest.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess my thing is given his age and how he finished I think it's unlikely he's even as good as last year let alone better. I think part of being a #2 Wr now is being good enough to be effective if the #1 goes down, AJ really wasn't.

Based on how it looks with edge and CB I'm almost certain our first pick is going to be a WR.

That's the thing though. He's not a #1 anymore and I don't think the Cardinals are expecting him to be. The Cardinals needed a Big guy outside to play opposite of Hopkins. Green gives them a veteran presence opposite of Hopkins for basically peanuts. Let's face it, if Hopkins goes down again the Cardinals are screwed.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the thing though. He's not a #1 anymore and I don't think the Cardinals are expecting him to be. The Cardinals needed a Big guy outside to play opposite of Hopkins. Green gives them a veteran presence opposite of Hopkins for basically peanuts. Let's face it, if Hopkins goes down again the Cardinals are screwed.

Oh I'm not asking him to be a #1 I'm saying he's gotta be a good enough 2 that if necessary he can step up. Probably dumb but a few weeks ago NFL Network replayed the titans game, I watched it. I think D Hop had 5 catches and 2 TD in the first quarter plus a couple of minutes, something like that. He was just destroying Jackrabbit Jenkins. After that literally every play they had a safety over the top and/or help from an underneath LB. This was one of the Talib working the games and he talked about it repeatedly when the play by play guy said D Hop has been a bit quiet since the first quarter. He said over and over the Titans are rolling their defense to Hops side on EVERY play, safety, LB, sometimes both they are daring Kyler Murray to beat them somewhere else.

Admittedly it was his first game as a Cardinal but Green had 2 catches for 25 yards. Kirk 5-70 2 TD's, Moore in his rookie debut 4-68, Edmonds had 4-48. Rewatching the game knowing the outcome and how the rest of the season went it was really interesting to watch and think OK Kirk is gone now, we hope Rondale is better but when teams do to Hop next year what the Titans did, who's going to be the guys to step up? My guess is it's going to be more of Rondale and Ertz, than AJ Green.

Green seemed very comfortable as the 2nd option or the deep down the sideline option and the occasional jump ball. But when he had do more, even with Hop in there he wasn't very good and when Hop was out he was really not very good. Everyone by now saw how much better we were with Hop than without, everyone we play next year is going to scheme to take him away, really was hoping our 2nd best Wr would be good enough to torch that sort of defense, but right now if he is, it's either going to be Rondale, or Ertz IMO not Green.

Hopefully an edge slips to us that's good but I'm completely expecting a WR in the first round which is scary given Keim's recent history with Wr's in the draft. I like Rondale the rest have been busts. Right now given the roster IMO our #2 Wr is actually Zach Ertz.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Hopefully an edge slips to us that's good but I'm completely expecting a WR in the first round which is scary given Keim's recent history with Wr's in the draft. I like Rondale the rest have been busts. Right now given the roster IMO our #2 Wr is actually Zach Ertz.
Based on the second contract Kirk got it really hard to call him a bust.

I have Kirk on my Dynasty FFL team and I'm really hoping there's some excess value there that Kyler and Kliff couldn't cash in on that the Jaguars see. It'd be odd if Jacksonville was really bidding against themselves to reach that number for Kirk.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on the second contract Kirk got it really hard to call him a bust.

I have Kirk on my Dynasty FFL team and I'm really hoping there's some excess value there that Kyler and Kliff couldn't cash in on that the Jaguars see. It'd be odd if Jacksonville was really bidding against themselves to reach that number for Kirk.

Yeah fair point I'm not considering Kirk recent history but he only has 4 years so I guess he does count as recent history and he was a good pick.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
He's not a #2 either, but we desperately need him to be. Or RM to become a #2. We have to HOPE they can make a solid #2/3 combo. And add top-end outside talent and speed at the position. And somehow find quality depth. We don't have great options. Let's face it, even if Hopkins doesn't go down again, we might still be screwed.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's not a #2 either, but we desperately need him to be. Or RM to become a #2. We have to HOPE they can make a solid #2/3 combo. And add top-end outside talent and speed at the position. And somehow find quality depth. We don't have great options. Let's face it, even if Hopkins doesn't go down again, we might still be screwed.
With a healthy Hopkins I don't think you need a "True" #2 WR. The combo of Ertz, Green and Moore give Kyler tons of options. Green fills that role of the outside WR opposite Hopkins. I don't think it matters if he is #2, 3 or 4. I also expect the Cardinals to draft a WR fairly early to compete with Green and hopefully eventually replace him.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
With a healthy Hopkins I don't think you need a "True" #2 WR. The combo of Ertz, Green and Moore give Kyler tons of options. Green fills that role of the outside WR opposite Hopkins. I don't think it matters if he is #2, 3 or 4. I also expect the Cardinals to draft a WR fairly early to compete with Green and hopefully eventually replace him.
So, the spit and baling wire approach? sigh We should be trying to stack the offense with weapons. When I put this roster up against other top offenses, I weep.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave