Someone explain AJ Green to me?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first one was on Kyler underthrown or probably a TD. But he had at least 3 more WTF plays today. the one where the Dallas guy almost picks off Kyler in the end zone when Kyler threw that ball Green, not Ertz was the closest guy to where Kyler threw it. I'm not at all certain Kyler was throwing to Ertz I think he was throwing to AJ, but AJ just flat stopped, not slowed up he stopped and stood there and watched as his man got into the play to help cover Ertz.

On the play where everyone was yelling at Kyler for not throwing the crossing route, Green WAS the crossing route, he and Ertz crossed it's a rub play, but Green essentially ran into Ertz who managed to avoid it but in the process he slowed up and AJ tripped and lost his footing. So Kyler can't throw to AJ because he doesn't know if he's going to be able to finish the route, he throws to Ertz but because of the near collision Ertz can't get there incomplete.

The 2nd deep throw I actually thought AJ interfered with Diggs with his left hand but again as Aikman said as a QB you can't put the ball in a better spot than Kyler put it that the only guy who can get that ball is AJ, but he only used 1 hand and didn't lay out for it.

He's had a good year in many respects, over 50 catches over 800 yards but it just seems like all year he and Kyler have not been on the same page and the number of times he just seems to make no effort at all is alarming. I'm convinced that's why Ertz is Kyler's favorite target now that Hop is out, he doesn't trust Green to go to him unless he's wide open or on some of those desperation jump balls he has pulled off this year. It will be an interesting decision on whether to bring him back next year?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been happy with him overall. I do think there have been a few plays where his effort has lacked.

But I think that first throw in the EZ was to Ertz I’d bet money on it.

His YPC has been straight up awesome this year. He’s definitely had value and bailed Kyler out several times as well. That toe tapping catch today was a thing of beauty.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been happy with him overall. I do think there have been a few plays where his effort has lacked.

But I think that first throw in the EZ was to Ertz I’d bet money on it.

His YPC has been straight up awesome this year. He’s definitely had value and bailed Kyler out several times as well. That toe tapping catch today was a thing of beauty.

Yeah that was a great catch and honestly twice in the game he beat Diggs with double moves which is impressive

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cards could have easily got better hands, good attitude and far less production from Larry for 11 million dollars instead of AJ Green at 5 million.

No Larry was done IMO

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I’ve watched Green get hit with numerous unfair criticisms this season. He’s been expected to make catches of balls a yard behind him while he is running away from the ball. He’s been expected to grab balls a foot off the ground and a foot behind him while on the run. He was accused in the Green Bay game of not running an audible which was probably inaudible from where he sat up. The near interception in this game was a terrible throw.

Green has never been a top burner. He’s best on running tight routes and using his size and agility to win 50-50 balls. With decent ball placement he’s hard to single cover. Murray never seemed to understand how to maximize that type of receiver when he had Fitz. Fitz retired underutilized.

i think Green ran the right routes today. It’s more likely Ertz was wrong as he’s likely still learning the full playbook.

I do think Green has allowed himself to get frustrated when he’s been open and Murray has thrown to a covered receiver. Green should not be so petty. He also has not gone full out on occasions when he hasn’t been the primary target.

Green is not the type who’s looking to be a mentor to Murray. He shows up and does his job. Getting 800 yards has made him a bargain this year. He’s no longer a number one receiver but he’s been productive.

I do believe if Murray had used progressions, had better ball placement and simply trusted Green, he’d already have posted 1000 yards. He’s not perfect but he’s been useful.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cards could have easily got better hands, good attitude and far less production from Larry for 11 million dollars instead of AJ Green at 5 million.
Better effort yes, better overall performance - No.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’ve watched Green get hit with numerous unfair criticisms this season. He’s been expected to make catches of balls a yard behind him while he is running away from the ball. He’s been expected to grab balls a foot off the ground and a foot behind him while on the run. He was accused in the Green Bay game of not running an audible which was probably inaudible from where he sat up. The near interception in this game was a terrible throw.

Green has never been a top burner. He’s best on running tight routes and using his size and agility to win 50-50 balls. With decent ball placement he’s hard to single cover. Murray never seemed to understand how to maximize that type of receiver when he had Fitz. Fitz retired underutilized.

i think Green ran the right routes today. It’s more likely Ertz was wrong as he’s likely still learning the full playbook.

I do think Green has allowed himself to get frustrated when he’s been open and Murray has thrown to a covered receiver. Green should not be so petty. He also has not gone full out on occasions when he hasn’t been the primary target.

Green is not the type who’s looking to be a mentor to Murray. He shows up and does his job. Getting 800 yards has made him a bargain this year. He’s no longer a number one receiver but he’s been productive.

I do believe if Murray had used progressions, had better ball placement and simply trusted Green, he’d already have posted 1000 yards. He’s not perfect but he’s been useful.
Green plays the Watkins role with Chiefs a few years ago. Many will complain but Cardinals are better with AJ Green.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Im sure you'll have a powerpoint presentation to show AJ constantly open. I look forward to your ALL 22 clips showing that Harry. Surely you're not just saying that.

Interesting that Kyler throws more jump balls to Wesley than Green.
Wesley has the quick twitch. AJ can still highpoint the ball but its usually when its a lollipop like against the Jags and Lions games. Not knocking him for it. He is 34.

Last edited:

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The first one was on Kyler underthrown or probably a TD. But he had at least 3 more WTF plays today. the one where the Dallas guy almost picks off Kyler in the end zone when Kyler threw that ball Green, not Ertz was the closest guy to where Kyler threw it. I'm not at all certain Kyler was throwing to Ertz I think he was throwing to AJ, but AJ just flat stopped, not slowed up he stopped and stood there and watched as his man got into the play to help cover Ertz.

On the play where everyone was yelling at Kyler for not throwing the crossing route, Green WAS the crossing route, he and Ertz crossed it's a rub play, but Green essentially ran into Ertz who managed to avoid it but in the process he slowed up and AJ tripped and lost his footing. So Kyler can't throw to AJ because he doesn't know if he's going to be able to finish the route, he throws to Ertz but because of the near collision Ertz can't get there incomplete.

The 2nd deep throw I actually thought AJ interfered with Diggs with his left hand but again as Aikman said as a QB you can't put the ball in a better spot than Kyler put it that the only guy who can get that ball is AJ, but he only used 1 hand and didn't lay out for it.

He's had a good year in many respects, over 50 catches over 800 yards but it just seems like all year he and Kyler have not been on the same page and the number of times he just seems to make no effort at all is alarming. I'm convinced that's why Ertz is Kyler's favorite target now that Hop is out, he doesn't trust Green to go to him unless he's wide open or on some of those desperation jump balls he has pulled off this year. It will be an interesting decision on whether to bring him back next year?
Omg, when he only used 1 hand & didn't lay out for that pass I wanted to throw the remote at the tv. It wasn't as difficult of a catch as it looked if he put forth more effort. You're right on the long reception, that was Kyler's fault, he underthrew it, easy TD if he leads him more.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Green plays the Watkins role with Chiefs a few years ago. Many will complain but Cardinals are better with AJ Green.

Of course we are I'm just wondering if they will think that's the case next year and try to bring him back. I watched some of the game again yesterday just to look and again that crossing route with Ertz, Green is going to be wide open for a huge gain on that play but he just runs right into Ertz's path and then has to move at the last second, it causes Ertz to slow up, Green trips himself, and the 2 defenders on the play are completely unimpeded, the design of the play was a "rub route" the defenders have to get through the wash of the crossing receivers but Green managed to avoid both of them and pick off his own man and himself.

The one in the endzone I still don't know who Kyler threw it to, Green is actually on the right side but shallower and heading towards the endzone, Ertz is coming across. I don't know if Green stopped because he saw Ertz and decided if I keep going I'm going to jam things up, or what but he just stopped, and his man goes back and gets into the coverage on ertz, that's how close they were.

Kirk had a bad one on the 2 point play too it was clearly a pick play to get Ertz open, and where it was it's legal, but Kirk just runs right by 55 without making any contact, doesn't slow him up at all and Ertz ends up being tightly covered. I'm sure that's why Kliff was so mad on the play, the actual playcall was perfect but Kirk doesn't do his job and then there's basically nothing for Kyler to do because he wasn't going to be able to run for it.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One thing is certain, we need to draft WR next year. As far as I’m concerned, Hop can’t be trusted to stay healthy. He’s still very good, but losing his elite label. Green was a great pickup, but he’s obviously at the end of his career. Kirk is a decent 3, but can’t step up when we need him to do more. God only knows what this offense would look like right now if not for Ertz. And Rondale does appear to be injury prone. Sure wish we had drafted CeeDee Lamb.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson