Someone explain AJ Green to me?

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So, the spit and baling wire approach? sigh We should be trying to stack the offense with weapons. When I put this roster up against other top offenses, I weep.
To be fair, Keim gave him only half the money he gave him last year. So we're prepared for the half effort.

Progress.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And who's fault is it they haven't replaced him?
Ok you quoted his record as GM. So lets give full context

2017 - Luck missed the entire season
2018 - Luck plays and they go to the playoffs/win a playoff game
2019 - Luck retires RIGHT before the season. Ruins the season.
Unfortonately they're not bad enough to get a Herbert or Burrow and are forced to go with a vet.

2020- Win 11 games with Rivers. Who then retires.
2021- Make the deal with Wentz

Luck's injuries/retirement messed over the Colts more than anything. Ballard has done a good job.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Unfortonately they're not bad enough to get a Herbert or Burrow and are forced to go with a vet.

Luck's injuries/retirement messed over the Colts more than anything. Ballard has done a good job.
Context isn’t his thing.

I disagree about Ballard being one of the best GMs in the league though.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Context isn’t his thing.

I disagree about Ballard being one of the best GMs in the league though.

Weird. Nobody uses context when discussing Keim's record. In fact you often push the credit elsewhere.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Interesting if true:
-
No one took responsibility for the “miscommunication,” and Green bore the brunt of the criticism. However, several sources have told AllCardinals that Murray mistakenly gave a hand signal for a running play.
-

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Interesting if true:
-
No one took responsibility for the “miscommunication,” and Green bore the brunt of the criticism. However, several sources have told AllCardinals that Murray mistakenly gave a hand signal for a running play.
-

Actually, AJ said that as the VET he would take responsibility or words to that effect.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting if true:
-
-

Highly skeptical. I posted this after the game at the time when I saw it. This is Jonathan Jones a reporter and Bryant McFadden ex NFL DB on the play and they both said the same thing, there's not even remotely ANY element of a run play on the play. If Green thought it was a run due to a mistaken hand signal by Kyler he's the only guy on the team that thought so, which means unless Kyler made a hand signal JUST to AJ, that's just not what happened.

as they said, no timeouts it's just highly unlikely we were going to run the ball there we might not have time to line up for the FG if we get stopped on a run.

I guess it IS possible Kyler hand signalled Green and mistakenly did so as a run play but what seems far more obvious is Kyler recognized he has man coverage and is signalling Green I'm coming to you. I can believe Green thought it was a run play, he almost looks like he's blocking. I just find it very hard to believe everyone else on the offense knew it was a pass except him.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In one of, if not THE, weakest division in the NFL. I'd still take him over the incumbent though.

Here's the thing. People practically revere Ballard because he's drafted pretty well. Although as often the case with these things they often ignore the trash and focus on the treasure.

Take last years draft, they had 7 picks. Apart from Paye who contributed anything? Ben Banogu and Paris Campbell having done a thing from the 2019 draft and both were 2nds. In fact his 2nds have generally been ass.

But what does all that mean if in the end you're basically .500. He's made the playoffs twice in 5 seasons and has one win which was in 2018. And all this, as you say, in the weakest division in football.

Ballard obviously has skills, but what are they worth with that record?

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You can't count it twice. You already counted it last year in the "I can't believe we're giving him 6m" rants.
No no no no you (or a bunch of others if my memory is wrong) kept spouting last year what he really counted against the cap bc a bunch was pushed to this season. Y’all can’t play both sides of that argument.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unless someone drops unexpectedly, I'm not sure there are many guys that will be able to step in right away to be that #2.

I guess we'll see what the numbers are, but Green feels like settling, like most everything this offseason.
If he gets number 2 targets im disa

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
With a healthy Hopkins I don't think you need a "True" #2 WR. The combo of Ertz, Green and Moore give Kyler tons of options. Green fills that role of the outside WR opposite Hopkins. I don't think it matters if he is #2, 3 or 4. I also expect the Cardinals to draft a WR fairly early to compete with Green and hopefully eventually replace him.
Bro not worth trying. This is what he does every off-season.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Based on the second contract Kirk got it really hard to call him a bust.

I have Kirk on my Dynasty FFL team and I'm really hoping there's some excess value there that Kyler and Kliff couldn't cash in on that the Jaguars see. It'd be odd if Jacksonville was really bidding against themselves to reach that number for Kirk.

If he's their WR1 I guess there's two ways you can look at it. He gets more targets so his production increases. Or he's being covered by top DBs now so he struggles.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Just responding to blatant character assassination. I have no malicious intent.
No character assassination. This is what you do, you act like the sky is falling every off-season.

Haven't called you a name or anything at all. In fact, I generally think you're a pretty good dude.

Reaction score

It sounds like they didn't have any luck in drafting Luck. Sometimes picking the best pick doesn't work out. I wonder if Colts fans criticize their GM for drafting someone that was going to retire early? Like he should have seen it coming? Similar to Keim drafting Cooper who got injured & then played scared?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
No character assassination. This is what you do, you act like the sky is falling every off-season.

Haven't called you a name or anything at all. In fact, I generally think you're a pretty good dude.
I appreciate that, and ditto. I feel when we disagree it's because an honest difference of opinion. So why the need to "warn" other posters off me? That's not on.