So What’s Wrong With Kyler Murray?

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Thats bull his speed is fine and they were cooing about his speed on his TD runs and zeroing in on him about how fast and elusive he was by several National pundits on his TDs in the Bears game. They couldn’t say enough and kept replaying the TDs and adding how that aspect of his game and how he played could have him back in the mvp discussion. He’s not hurt. He’s not limping. He’s not wincing when he throws. He’s not on the injury report AT ALL…. People need to just quit making excuses for him.
Maybe he was fine in the Bears game but it got aggravated in the Rams game? IDK? He just didnt look right / healthy to me? But neither did the entire team so....?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
This is puzzling for sure

Run D went from a strength to a weakness over night
It’s not just our Run D that has disintegrated. There are several aspects of this team that have contributed to yet another second half of the season Kliffy Kollapse.
Unlike other quality teams, the Cards under Kliff and Kyler have proven incapable of dealing with adversity and making winning adjustments… they are true One-Trick Ponies…

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
A good bit of this is on Kyler. Colt didn’t have Hop against SF & SEA, yet, still managed to sliced them up. SF is also a respectable defense. He has to show that he can play good & win without him.
McCoy is by no means more talented than Murray which is of course evident but he ran the offense and watching Kyler is like watching some guy wanting to play hero ball right now every dang play and scraping the playbook. Kliff seems to always start the game with no patience spreading out his formations and throwing and throwing which he always then comes to senses later and makes the magic discovery that Conner can run the ball but as soon as we get in the redzone he scraps that formula and reverts back to thinking he's in the Big XII. If Lawernce Taylor was allowed to do coke, then I think Kyler and Kliff need to share a joint before the first quarter and chill lol

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

We got enough beef up front to free the LBs but Vance simply does not allow his LBs to play the run while they are constantly held back in coverage and by the time they react the other team has four yards. I want to see our LBs stick their grill in there at those running lanes

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
The Cards failure to bring in a QB coach with whom Murray would work has left Murray an incomplete QB. Kingsbury is clearly not a QB whisperer though I’m not sure he’s even attempting that role. The major question is whether Kyler accepts he needs help if he wants to become a dominant player. Don’t ask me to offer some Internet site or some source, this is simply my opinion. I think Murray feels the problems this team is having lie with everyone else. He’s feels he’s a winner and the others are failing him (sounds like Urban Meyer). My impression was the gestures he exhibited during the game supported this. Also instead of going to the various players on the sidelines and trying to pump them up. He seemed to keep to himself between drives or simply wander around. So what’s missing?
  1. He’s gone back to not using his progressions
  2. He tries to elude rushers with mostly one technique but fails to use the pocket.
  3. Unlike Russel Wilson, Murray doesn’t move side-to-side to create a passing lane
  4. Murray doesn’t throw the ball away when eluding a rusher to avoid a loss
  5. Murray has learned to pull up & throw but often doesn’t scan the field before a pass
  6. Murray sometimes lacks composure, throwing the ball away when no rusher is near.
  7. Murray has a great arm (one of the best), but he needs work on touch.
  8. Murray needs to work on ball placement; he needs to know his receivers better
  9. Murray needs to run to disrupt the rush. He can go down after short gains.
  10. Murray rarely audibles. Can he read defenses? Did he audible in Detroit?
  11. Murray needs to lead, he needs a personality reboot.
There’s more but this is enough for now. It wasn’t just the injury as people are hopefully speculating. He didn’t look good in the Green Bay game before the injury. Early on I thought he was showing improvement, but he’s regressed considerably. Is he dedicated to improve his skill set? Does he personally believe he’s sturdy enough to be effective in the NFL and can take the hits? I’m not ready to give up on Murray, but he needs to display more personal accountability, not just in press conferences, but during a game. Keim needs to have a long talk with him if Kingsbury isn’t up to it. With a great arm and being the best running QB I’ve ever seen, this guy should be the real deal. He just needs technique to move to the next level.
So as of right now, what you are saying is we have another Cam Newton as our QB. Sulky on the sidelines, sits by himself, doesn't communicate with teammates during the game, doesn't sit with coaches to review what may have gone wrong and what can be done to rectify it. Living in SC I have been able to watch a lot of Carolina games since they are one of the primary teams we get on regional coverage and this is pretty much how Newton was unless the game was going there way. If the game was a struggle or the Panthers were down, then Cam was a loner on the sidelines.

The one thing you mentioned about maybe Murray feels the problems lie with the team and not him just seems to resonate with me.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
The best thing K1 can do is study and get back on his horse. He needs to be a leader and hand the ball off, work with his oline on how to beat the Colts. Not how to lose bad body language or make Sports Highlights reels. I felt like he should've been benched for Colt McCoy already but the political outweighs the reality on that. This organization needs to figure out who it's future is. Is it a former Card coach at OU and a former football player that plays baseball. Or is 10-4, 1st place, and K1 K2 right the ship. The behavior I'm seeing recently does inspire confidence.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I think he and the oline are asked to outperform NFL defenses one dimensionall, every week in a long season. as we hand them out playbook. I wouldn’t play the run against us?why? Conner ran 2 freaking times in the first 1/2, chase once! Now it’s been a habit of 1-2 Runs until 1/2 way through the 2nd quarter, then for sone reason Kliff calls a few runs, probably to rest his offense.more Cutesy receiver runs in the red zone, just after Conner caught a pass and ran it there. I’m annoyed it wasn’t even mentioned by our press room. Usually our coaches say they didn’t know, or they need to run more. If they don’t know, shame on them.
that’s why we played better in the rain and wind Of Chicago. The team was balanced, defense had rest, circumstances forced fundamentally sound football.
what is wrong with Kyler? He is the smallest QB ever drafted, and has earned his #1 overall draft status. He just needs some sound RUN PRACTICE and play calling. The run game has to be a primary weapon, to take pressure off the oline, defense and pass game. Of course we have won without it, with run as an afterthought, but times have changed.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So as of right now, what you are saying is we have another Cam Newton as our QB. Sulky on the sidelines, sits by himself, doesn't communicate with teammates during the game, doesn't sit with coaches to review what may have gone wrong and what can be done to rectify it. Living in SC I have been able to watch a lot of Carolina games since they are one of the primary teams we get on regional coverage and this is pretty much how Newton was unless the game was going there way. If the game was a struggle or the Panthers were down, then Cam was a loner on the sidelines.

The one thing you mentioned about maybe Murray feels the problems lie with the team and not him just seems to resonate with me.
If Kyler wins an MVP & takes us to the Super Bowl, I would love that.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kyler is a better passer than Cam.

Also Kyler is worried about getting hit by defenders. There is no way Kyler can progress as a passer without standing in pocket and take a hit now and then like all other QBs have to.

May it is unfair to ask Kyler due to his size but there is no other way out right?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please give us a break. Cardinals had 3 possessions in Detroit Lions game in first half.
Yes and on the one decent drive we had the chance to cut it to a one score possession. We didn’t. That decision changed the whole flo of the game. We fertilized their confidence. Kyler, when he gets hot is almost impossible to stop. But he can’t do much when your opponent has a 23 minute to 7 minute time of possession in the first half.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not just our Run D that has disintegrated. There are several aspects of this team that have contributed to yet another second half of the season Kliffy Kollapse.
Unlike other quality teams, the Cards under Kliff and Kyler have proven incapable of dealing with adversity and making winning adjustments… they are true One-Trick Ponies…
Adjustment. Every one of our opponents know we will be in shotgun 90% of the time. They know we go no huddle 80% of the time. We have a nice play and change personnel. The refs give our opponents a chance to change their personnel which mitigates no huddle.
Come on Kingsbury. CHANGE. Not by calling one or two trick plays.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Murray but feel he would do much better with not just a qb coach but a new Head Coach. I'm not a KK fan and never have been. Not going to repeat all the problems with KK as they are all over this board on different posts. They will go 10 & 7 and lose the first playoff game. MB & Keim need to make coaching changes in the offseason starting with a new HC.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Murray but feel he would do much better with not just a qb coach but a new Head Coach. I'm not a KK fan and never have been. Not going to repeat all the problems with KK as they are all over this board on different posts. They will go 10 & 7 and lose the first playoff game. MB & Keim need to make coaching changes in the offseason starting with a new HC.
Lol @ Keim still being here.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It's a tricky thing. Kyler's real QB coach is clearly his father. I dunno if he's even open to re-assessing and improving his fundamentals. It's part of the challenge of having two noobs start together.

It's also part of the challenge if we replace Kliff. If that happens and Kyler still hasn't shown himself to be a winner at the NFL level, how does the team resolve conflict between the QB and the head coach?
Especially with the limited resources we'll have after Kyler becomes the highest paid player in NFL history!

This isn't a mystery - as soon as JJ Watt wasn't demanding double teams, all the rest of the scrubs are having a much harder time.

JJ was the difference between a good D, and what we have now.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adjustment. Every one of our opponents know we will be in shotgun 90% of the time. They know we go no huddle 80% of the time. We have a nice play and change personnel. The refs give our opponents a chance to change their personnel which mitigates no huddle.
Come on Kingsbury. CHANGE. Not by calling one or two trick plays.

That's the one that frustrates me. In the Detroit game we had to wait as the ref held us from snapping it. #2 still comes running on late goes to the left side of the defense and is clearly in the neutral zone when the ball is snapped no flag. We actually made a play on that I think Kyler rolled and hit Green for a first down but the entire reason he got flushed from the pocket is the guy was offsides, if the ball is incomplete we lose out because the ref didn't call it. If you're going to hold them to give them a chance to sub, you better at least call the penalty when they're offsides. My thought is they were all watching the players running off to make sure they were all off and that's why none of them saw the guy RUNNING on was offsides.

But yeah if the refs stop it from working there's no advantage to doing it. I like the hurry up we seem to play better with it, but trying to sub in it for no advantage seems silly.

It sounds like Rondale isn't going to play against the Colts it will be interesting to see if we just line up in our "base" offense more and still go hurry up so the Colts can't sub. They have a dominant interior DL too with Buckner so one way to slow them down is screens and no huddle so they can't get rest between plays. And of course hope we have our starting C back to help against Buckner.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
He needs to get his A$$ under center and start using hard counts to try to draw teams offsides. KC has 12 accepted offsides penalties. We have ONE. We are 3rd from last in the league in accepted offsides penalties.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I read a story from a Detroit site that quoted the CB who made the pick. He said Green ran "kind of a slow route" so he said it was really easy for him to stay with Green as AJ clearly didn't think the ball was coming his way so he didn't run the route. He said when Kyler came that way I sort of baited him, he threw it and then I dove and got it. he said he was surprised that Green didn't touch him down he got up and went 50 yards saying he was wondering the whole time thinking is there a penalty or something why didn't Green touch me down?

They were all raving about the Detroit pass rush said it was the key to the game, they didn't have to cover for as long because Kyler had to get the ball out and on several plays he had to run for his life which helps the secondary.

To be fair on Green I see D Hop do that sometimes too he doesn't think he's the target so he doesn't really run a route but when the QB starts to run then he kicks into gear and helps the QB out.
Green is passed the days of being a speed receiver. If he has the opportunity his agility can shake a defender but he now plays more like a tight end. He wins a high percentage of 50-50 balls. He depends on warding off defenders, out-leaping them and using his claw-like hands. He’s rarely going to get a lot of separation. He will be most successful with good QB ball placement.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bein with a kardashian maybe affectin him bein honest lol look at lamar odom heh

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kyler is a pouter, and I would guess it rubs some of the players the wrong way. When I see HIM make a mistake, and then sit on the bench by himself pouting between series....to me it looks like his is mad..but not at himself. It screams "Come on guys, Don't you know I'm the best...why aren't you all as good as I am".

Its a really hard personality type to root for. Someone who has been told, and believed they were a super star their entire life. He needs a huge dose of humility IMO, and to be knocked down a few pegs, realizing that he is not the second coming. He is a high pick, high price QB who puts up good numbers in garbage time, but buckles under pressure. Until he proves everyone wrong...thats who he is. IMO if Kyler were ever truly held accountable by coaches or other players, he would just pout away and go play baseball and stream video games.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson