So What’s Wrong With Kyler Murray?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They also don't show up their teammates or put off the negative energy that Kyler does. It would be one thing if he were flat, which would be bad enough. He puts out negative energy both on the field and on the sideline when things start going south, and the team feeds off of it.

Kyler has a lot of technique to clean up, but he also has a lot to show as a leader of men. Football is a tough sport, and part of that is showing how tough you are. Dan Campbell said it himself that a goal of theirs was to get hits on Kyler, and clearly other coaches are on the same page.

yes and no, FOX et al don't do him any favors. Yesterday at one point they showed him sitting down looking down and someone was next to him talking to him and he appeared to be sulking. One of the guys on NFL network said this morning that Talib, who was critical of Kyler, told him that had the panned back you would have seen that he had the tablet down there and he was looking at the tablet while talking to the guy next to him about what they were seeing. he wasn't "sulking" he was watching game film but FOX didn't how that. Later in the game they did the same shot but you could tell by how his hands were he was holding a tablet.

on the AJ Green play yes it was a bad decision holding the ball that long but I don't fault him at all there's a history of Green making "odd" plays, just falling down etc. On that play Green not only didn't come back to the ball as you're supposed to, he just stood there and allowed the DB to get up and run down the sideline. That lack of effort allowed them an easy TD, they may have scored one anyways but it was appalling that Green did that. Now he atoned later with several good plays so I guess it's good they didn't bench him as I said I would (in the game thread). But if you do that to Tom Brady he would chew you out in front of everyone he's done it multiple times. Part of what makes Brady so great is he holds teammates accountable.

I wish he was a bit more outgoing in that regard but my main issue was how he played yesterday not that he complained about AJ Greens lack of effort. The thing is that's not the only time in his career AJ has done that, just last year he got hammered on by NFL people for not making any effort on a play Burrow threw.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Murray has to play better than he did yesterday we all think that. He has to make his teammates better. But when a guy does what AJ Green did, I have no issue with him being mad about it.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They also don't show up their teammates or put off the negative energy that Kyler does. It would be one thing if he were flat, which would be bad enough. He puts out negative energy both on the field and on the sideline when things start going south, and the team feeds off of it.

Kyler has a lot of technique to clean up, but he also has a lot to show as a leader of men. Football is a tough sport, and part of that is showing how tough you are. Dan Campbell said it himself that a goal of theirs was to get hits on Kyler, and clearly other coaches are on the same page.
When a player is so afraid of getting hit, then all he thinks of is how to not get hit and all he can see is where all the hits are coming from, then lose the focus of the offense play and his receivers. We all experienced it because it holds through all levels of contact sports, not just pro-level.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he is playing like he had a month off of football, and is missing half his oline and his best WR. He was amazing up until the last few games.

he wasn't good against GB and that was before the injury. Two INTs, 0 TDs. 21 points. Got the team down early. Just like he did against the Rams and the Lions. At least in the GB he turned the ship around in the second half, but you can't crap the bed in the first half of a game like that.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read a story from a Detroit site that quoted the CB who made the pick. He said Green ran "kind of a slow route" so he said it was really easy for him to stay with Green as AJ clearly didn't think the ball was coming his way so he didn't run the route. He said when Kyler came that way I sort of baited him, he threw it and then I dove and got it. he said he was surprised that Green didn't touch him down he got up and went 50 yards saying he was wondering the whole time thinking is there a penalty or something why didn't Green touch me down?

They were all raving about the Detroit pass rush said it was the key to the game, they didn't have to cover for as long because Kyler had to get the ball out and on several plays he had to run for his life which helps the secondary.

To be fair on Green I see D Hop do that sometimes too he doesn't think he's the target so he doesn't really run a route but when the QB starts to run then he kicks into gear and helps the QB out.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think part of having a franchise QB is realizing that sometimes he won't play very well. It just happens to everyone. Mahomes had several terrible games in a row this year.

THAT SAID. I do not like that there's a part of my mind that even considers that Colt might have had a better performance last Sunday. Colt doesnt have the arm yet I know he wont try and force it down the field to a guy that's clearly covered. Colt probably wont escape the rush but at least he'll step up into the pocket. He won't run backwards directly into the arms pass rushers.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I read a story from a Detroit site that quoted the CB who made the pick. He said Green ran "kind of a slow route" so he said it was really easy for him to stay with Green as AJ clearly didn't think the ball was coming his way so he didn't run the route. He said when Kyler came that way I sort of baited him, he threw it and then I dove and got it. he said he was surprised that Green didn't touch him down he got up and went 50 yards saying he was wondering the whole time thinking is there a penalty or something why didn't Green touch me down?

They were all raving about the Detroit pass rush said it was the key to the game, they didn't have to cover for as long because Kyler had to get the ball out and on several plays he had to run for his life which helps the secondary.

To be fair on Green I see D Hop do that sometimes too he doesn't think he's the target so he doesn't really run a route but when the QB starts to run then he kicks into gear and helps the QB out.
Yeah watching the replay my immediate reaction was (a) what a terrible route by AJ; and (b) why doesn’t he come back for the ball? He had three yards to do so and still get the first. AJ Green being AJ Green in AZ.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He was justified with all the drops and false starts but he needs to suck it up and lead. Sulking by himself between series is not helpful.

Without question the Cardinals need to add an offensive guru of some kind. Whether OC or consultant because I don't believe Kingsbury isn't able to get Kyler to maximum potential.

DHop covers up several deficiencies in the offense. With his security blanket removed, Kyler struggles. We saw it against GB. We saw it against the Rams. We saw it against Detroit. And we'll probably see it again next Sunday.
I agree with this completely.. also perhaps even a bigger deal, Hudson was out bout those games as well. This offensive line is one of the worst in the league if not the worst in the league without Hudson.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
THIS.

If you need perfection to play high level ball, you ain't elite. elite players make everyone around them better or perform even when dealt a bad hand.
Mahomes sure wasn’t elite in the Super Bowl last year with a decimated O-Line that was still arguably better than what we have without Hudson.. Kyler looked like crap, but I truly believe the Oline is just as important as Kyler in our success.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe Kyler has trouble seeing over the top of the line to throw those quick slants over the middle.

Unless he is throwing quick outs to the sideline, he has to drop too deep throw the ball in the middle of the field.

The opposing defense has figured it out. Rush him and take away those throws. He doesn't trust the offensive line to hold the pocket.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mahomes sure wasn’t elite in the Super Bowl last year with a decimated O-Line that was still arguably better than what we have without Hudson.. Kyler looked like crap, but I truly believe the Oline is just as important as Kyler in our success.

He got the team to the freaking Super Bowl with a bad O-Line. I’d say winning the AFC with a bad O-Line is pretty elite. Only one team is a champion.

Kyler Murray hasn’t even shown he can win a regular season game to get us into the playoffs no matter what he has on the O-line so there’s no comparison.

One has shown the ability to elevate and overcome a bad O-line to win PLAYOFF games and CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP games. Kyler couldn’t elevate against a 1 win team to merely get in the playoffs. There’s. World of difference there.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he's still dinged up cause he doesnt have the speed to elude defenders and he hasnt been running in TDs or even tried. And having Hudson out yesterday compounded the timing Kyler was struggling with also. I have no worries if Kyler is healthy but that's a big IF?
Thats bull his speed is fine and they were cooing about his speed on his TD runs and zeroing in on him about how fast and elusive he was by several National pundits on his TDs in the Bears game. They couldn’t say enough and kept replaying the TDs and adding how that aspect of his game and how he played could have him back in the mvp discussion. He’s not hurt. He’s not limping. He’s not wincing when he throws. He’s not on the injury report AT ALL…. People need to just quit making excuses for him.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the play book is too thick from week to week. How many times have we seen teams go to the same play 6 or 7 times a game because it's money?

I think Kingsbury game plan calls for too many variations and cute plays that may get run once every 5 games.

Remember the very first game when we ran the " MEGAWATT" set? I thought we'd set that more than once. Isn't McVay's offense predicated on their offense be run off of 5 formations?

This is a front running team. We can't stop other teams from running 13 play drives 80 yd. drives that eat up half the quarter. I don't understand how we dominated the Titans and stopped Derrick Henry and now we can't stop a 4th string running back. I know we don't have Watt but good Lord.

I know this thread is about Kyler , but VJ better come up with a plan to stop Taylor...whatever it takes. When Kyler gets in a groove he's unstoppable. We need to get him the ball more than once in a quarter and a half.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think the play book is too thick from week to week. How many times have we seen teams go to the same play 6 or 7 times a game because it's money?

I think Kingsbury game plan calls for too many variations and cute plays that may get run once every 5 games.

Remember the very first game when we ran the " MEGAWATT" set? I thought we'd set that more than once. Isn't McVay's offense predicated on their offense be run off of 5 formations?

This is a front running team. We can't stop other teams from running 13 play drives 80 yd. drives that eat up half the quarter. I don't understand how we dominated the Titans and stopped Derrick Henry and now we can't stop a 4th string running back. I know we don't have Watt but good Lord.

I know this thread is about Kyler , but VJ better come up with a plan to stop Taylor...whatever it takes. When Kyler gets in a groove he's unstoppable. We need to get him the ball more than once in a quarter and a half.
Please give us a break. Cardinals had 3 possessions in Detroit Lions game in first half.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If the playbook is too thick we have a bunch of stupid players.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Maybe Kyler has trouble seeing over the top of the line to throw those quick slants over the middle.

Unless he is throwing quick outs to the sideline, he has to drop too deep throw the ball in the middle of the field.

The opposing defense has figured it out. Rush him and take away those throws. He doesn't trust the offensive line to hold the pocket.
I recall someone on this board once mentioned that a seasoned NFL QB (can't recall who exactly) said even 6'4" Qbs can see over the top of the line. They see between the linemen and shift from side to side to do so if needed. As Harry pointed out earlier, Murray's problem is he rarely shifts/moves in the pocket (other than going backward) to increase his vision and create passing lanes.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recall someone on this board once mentioned that a seasoned NFL QB (can recall who exactly) said even 6'4" Qbs can see over the top of the line. They see between the linemen and shift from side to side to do so if needed. As Harry pointed out earlier, Murray's problem is he rarely shifts/moves in the pocket (other than going backward) to increase his vision and create passing lanes.

I recall that as well. It could be Murray doesn't trust the pocket or it's something completely different.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think he's still dinged up cause he doesnt have the speed to elude defenders and he hasnt been running in TDs or even tried. And having Hudson out yesterday compounded the timing Kyler was struggling with also. I have no worries if Kyler is healthy but that's a big IF?

It's been discussed a few times, But part of the problem is.... Murray having to field multiple snaps a game, that are on the ground, high... or far left or right of him, regardless of who the center is.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been discussed a few times, But part of the problem is.... Murray having to field multiple snaps a game, that are on the ground, high... or far left or right of him, regardless of who the center is.
Hudson is horrible in shotgun. That can’t be denied. If he has a weakness that is surely it.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hudson is horrible in shotgun. That can’t be denied. If he has a weakness that is surely it.
You're right. Idk where Hudson went to college or what type of offense they ran but with the Raiders Carr played under center most of the time. Gruden believes in the run game & play action, something KK refuses to make Kyler do. So easy for rushers to get a jump on Kyler when all they have to do is watch him clap in shotgun.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're right. Idk where Hudson went to college or what type of offense they ran but with the Raiders Carr played under center most of the time. Gruden believes in the run game & play action, something KK refuses to make Kyler do. So easy for rushers to get a jump on Kyler when all they have to do is watch him clap in shotgun.
I've been calling for play action all along

It's strange that we don't use it or put players in motion so it's easier for KM to what D they are running

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I've been calling for play action all along

It's strange that we don't use it or put players in motion so it's easier for KM to what D they are running
Idk if KK wants to run it & Kyler isn't comfortable with it or Kyler wants to do it & KK doesn't like using it? Either way it sucks because our offense would be so much better.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson