So the Suns could have had Stephen Curry or Jrue Holiday and ended up with Clark?

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Just came across this article: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...enix-suns-thought-they-had-stephen-curry.html

Man, what a horribly disappointing article. If you feel like getting a nice kick to the gut, go ahead and read the whole thing.

"We loved Jrue Holiday," Kerr said. "We were ready to make him a promise. We were picking at 14 and the agent didn't want to do the promise. He thought he'd go earlier. Well, on draft day, we thought we had a deal for Steph Curry and the deal hadn't gone through but we were pretty sure we were going to get Golden State's pick, which was seven. When Curry was available at seven, Golden State took him. We thought we've got a deal. It hasn't been consummated. So at 14, Jrue Holiday is still there and we go, 'Wait a sec, we've got (Steve Nash). We've got (Goran) Dragic, who we really like. We thought we're going to have Curry. We just can't take another point guard. We take Earl Clark, who we love for defensive purposes. Jrue Holiday has turned into a great point guard and Clark is still trying to find his way."

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Incompetence. Drafting under that assumption without the trade being finalized.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Makes sense. Steph hasnt been that great anyways, i really wanted that trade to go through but i thought hed be better

OP
OP
JS22

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I would have REALLY liked to see Holiday on this team. (Even over Curry.)

Seems like "**** happens" pretty often to the Suns.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Please, no more memories of Steve Kerr.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Incompetence. Drafting under that assumption without the trade being finalized.

Exactly. I would have took Holiday anyways. Imagine if the trade went through, what would be wrong with having Holiday & Curry in the backcourt?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
How about 2008? This one pisses me off more.

With the 15th pick, we take Robin Lopez.

With the 17th pick, the Pacers take Roy Hibbert

:bang:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about 2008? This one pisses me off more.

With the 15th pick, we take Robin Lopez.

With the 17th pick, the Pacers take Roy Hibbert

:bang:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since Sarver arrived the Suns are not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Also I can't remember any fans wanting the Suns to draft Lopez.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes sense. Steph hasnt been that great anyways, i really wanted that trade to go through but i thought hed be better

If he could stay healthy he'd be terrific. He just can't

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah now Steph's dad Dell Curry is confirming this too

“We told Minnesota that Steph didn’t want to go there,” said Dell Curry. “We had no idea that they had agreed to a trade. Obviously, they couldn’t put that out. I remember (then-Suns general manager) Steve Kerr calling me (the following morning) and saying, ‘Don’t go to the press conference. We have a trade that they reneged on.’ I’m like, ‘That’s between you guys. We’re going wherever they tell us. We can’t not go.’"

The Suns thought they could draft Jordan Hill at No. 7 if Curry didn't fall.

The Suns proceeded with their next pick at No. 14 believing they had Curry, drafting Earl Clark instead of Jrue Holiday

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...s-suns-near-trade-son-stephen-curry/81191584/

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I know you were teasing him but I'd have to believe that was the common thinking back then. To test that, see how many "I know he's a franchise PG" comments you can find from 2011.

It was a joke just like his post. And no I doubt there were many comments like that then mainly due to his injury issues which is why GSW signed him for so cheap in the first place.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It was a joke just like his post. And no I doubt there were many comments like that then mainly due to his injury issues which is why GSW signed him for so cheap in the first place.

Yeah, like I said, I knew you were just teasing him. But I seem to remember a lot of people having doubts about whether he could become a franchise point guard. And not just because of his injuries. There was never any doubt that he could shoot but I don't think there were many people who expected him to be good enough to win back to back MVP's while Lebron was still in or near his prime. He was already a very good player but the jump he has taken each of the past two years is eye-popping. He's about to turn 28 so he might still have yet another level to his game. Scary to think.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The doubt was whether he could distribute well enough. But when your shooting is that efficient, why pass much?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was always injured and no that good 3-5 years ago, hardly ridiculous opinions at that time.

Hmmm. Kyrie Irving? Similar story. Kyrie is two years of league experience behind Steph but 4 years in age behind him.

OP
OP
JS22

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score

Welp, that was an incorrect statement. :biglaugh: