So I'm thinking of ditching my landline

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:shrug: I don't know how DTV works, but Dish charged me $5/month for not having a landline because having it connected to the phone line was how they updated the programming menu nightly.

They have....... get this...... satellites that can do this.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
People are in need of emergency services and are in IMMINENT danger and they drop the call with 911 long before they are able to give a location, or their battery dies because they just happened to forget to charge it that day etc.. etc.. In an emergency situation a few seconds can make all the difference. If you have a hardline phone we (police) know from the second you make that call who the phone belongs to and exactly what the address is that the call was made from. It can and has made all the difference.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Shane, but my understanding (based upon my car accident about a year ago and calling it in on a cell phone) is that first, you get routed to the state emergency center. From there, you have to tell them where you are, and then they will transfer you to the appropriate dispatch / call center.

So, when you dial 911 on your cell phone and scream "There's an ax murderer in my house! I live at 421 Oak Lane!" then hang up to get away from said ax murderer, the dispatch you are initially routed to has no idea which town you are in, which can cause problems in dispatching police.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, when you dial 911 on your cell phone and scream "There's an ax murderer in my house! I live at 421 Oak Lane!" then hang up to get away from said ax murderer, the dispatch you are initially routed to has no idea which town you are in, which can cause problems in dispatching police.

That is basically correct. If you call 911 on a cell in clark county you will get the Metro PD dispatch. Even though you could live in Henderson, North Las Vegas, Boulder City etc.... So yes they will have no clue where you are unless you are on a landline.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is basically correct. If you call 911 on a cell in clark county you will get the Metro PD dispatch. Even though you could live in Henderson, North Las Vegas, Boulder City etc.... So yes they will have no clue where you are unless you are on a landline.
Interesting. I had never thought of that.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I thought they were putting gps in modern phones to deal with that ?

The FCC has directed cell phone carriers to have the capability to pinpoint your location in the event of a 911 call, however, that's coming in phases.

Cell phone carriers will not be required to precisely determine your location to less than 50 meters until September 2012. (FCC DOC LINK)

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The FCC has directed cell phone carriers to have the capability to pinpoint your location in the event of a 911 call, however, that's coming in phases.

Cell phone carriers will not be required to precisely determine your location to less than 50 meters until September 2012. (FCC DOC LINK)

50 meters in todays neighborhoods is about worthless. Better to still have a landline.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I haven't had a landline in 10 years now. I don't miss it one bit. I have been "in talks" w/ my wife about getting a basic line because of the kids. My main concern is the rare occasion we do have a babysitter, I won't have to be concerned with their having a phone, it being charged, ect.
I hadn't thought about Shane's point ( a vailid one), but I'm not concerned with the part of it being elsewhere in the house. I have my phone on me at all times because work could call at any time. I'll have to bring the locate part into the discussion. I thought about the Magic Jack, but I was concerned with the reliability since it's connected through a computer. Wouldn't the same problem Shane is talking about be the case with this too?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ditched mine yesterday. Dirtbag ATT wanted $35.00 just to transfer my service since I am moving.

OP
OP
DeAnna

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Still haven't ditched mine.

I was looking into the Magic Jack but found out it does not support faxes (I have one of those all-in-printer/fax/scanner).

So because of the one or two times a month that I send a fax, can't ditch my landline. argh ...

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was looking into the Magic Jack but found out it does not support faxes (I have one of those all-in-printer/fax/scanner).

So because of the one or two times a month that I send a fax, can't ditch my landline. argh ...

Use web faxes for my business now

OP
OP
DeAnna

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score

Well, I finally ditched it. Now that I switched realty agencies, I have access to all the HomeSmart offices and free fax/printing/computers. :thumbup:

OP
OP
DeAnna

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score

Well, I finally ditched it. Now that I switched realty agencies, I have access to all the HomeSmart offices and free fax/printing/computers. :thumbup:

They also provided me with yet another webfax, but with these lengthy real estate documents, it's very time consuming to scan them all and attach as emails; a lot faster to just fax them from a machine.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn