So, exactly what is the standard for Whiz & DA?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We won the division last year, and I expect to win the division this year. It doesn't matter to me who plays QB. If we have a veteran player at QB, I expect to win the division. Furthermore, if neither Leinart or Derek Anderson can do it, then I expect someone else to get the opportunity next year.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Good post 82.

I believe that Whiz is willing to roll the dice on High Risk, High Reward!
It we as fans take a step back and really remember the Kurt Warner era, you have to also remember the bad as well as the good.
How many times did each and every one of us wonder which Kurt would show up on game day? The good Kurt or the bad Kurt?
When Kurt was on he was great. When he was average he was good. When Kurt was bad, boy did he suck.
Whiz lived with that.
Evidently Whiz see something in DA that he's willing to live with.
High Risk! High Reward!

True but there has been much, much more bad DA than good DA

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Forget all the stats like QB Ratings, Pass Percentage, Yards per Attempt, Yards per Completion....

Here is the only stat that matters:

Since 2008, teams that win the turnover battle are 340-96-1. That’s a winning percentage of 78%.

You are fooling yourself if you think we are winning more than 6 games with a turnover machine like Anderson at QB.

You pretty much nailed it here. Coaches didn't like Beanie fumbling and it held him back a bit. Wait till DA starts rifling some 5 yard passes off of shoulder pads into defenders arms. I am not sure what Matt would do but I am relatively certain we go down in flames with DA.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'll be happy if Anderson doesn't throw 10 interceptions for every 3 Touchdown passes.

Because I don't think the Cards have a guy who can or will be allowed to tote the rock 35 times a game.

Last edited:

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Comparing Warner to DA in any way shape or form is ridiculous. When Warner was hot he could thread a needle with his passes. DA has the yips on a 5 yard pass into the endzone.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
I think our team was in transition anyway you slice it. You do not lose the talent we did and have it otherwise. Matt deserved a shot in a transition year. Now that is done and we will have to go with DA and hope we have a really great D that causes alot of TO. It could happen. I had us winning 8. I now think 7 is the number so not much difference. I think we lose both games to the Niners and one to the Hawks and it pretty much does us in. Hope for best expect the wors't. At least Fitz gets his catches but so did Rob Moore. Damn, Kurt why didn't you stay one more season.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
For DA- my standard involves his TD/turnover ratio not being negative, his comp % must be at least above 55% and he must stay healthy.

For Whiz- We just have to win 8 games for me to consider it a success. My thinking is, we lost Warner, that was out of his hands, but he pretty much had his say in who we signed and drafted it seems. He seemed perfectly fine with trading Boldin, cutting Rolle, signing Porter, Faneca and Anderson and drafting the people whom he drafted. If this roster doesn't work out this year it's on him. If we have a losing season it's on him.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ceiling on this team going in (IMO) was nine wins and that hasnt changed. That being said, I dont see the team winning fewer than 7-8 games.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
FWIW, I said the team would win 9 games this season when I believed Matty would be the QB. As I've said, Whiz feels more confident with DA. So if Whiz feels more confident with DA, so must I...

Does feel more confident in DA because DA gave him confidence or because he lost more confidence in Matt?

I think that is a big time distinction to make.

I thought 8-8 before the season and I still think 8-8, don't think we will ever be below that mark as long as Wiz is in control of the team.

Two things have to happen for NFC West championship again, the D finally becomes finishers, and the OL doesn't prove to be horrible without the super fast release and decisions of a HOF QB behind them.

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Does feel more confident in DA because DA gave him confidence or because he lost more confidence in Matt?

I think that is a big time distinction to make.

I thought 8-8 before the season and I still think 8-8, don't think we will ever be below that mark as long as Wiz is in control of the team.

Two things have to happen for NFC West championship again, the D finally becomes finishers, and the OL doesn't prove to be horrible without the super fast release and decisions of a HOF QB behind them.

Good post Joe... I do believe the move to DA is more about the lack of confidence in Matty versus DA overwhelming Whiz with superior play and leadership.
And your comments about the defense and o-line are spot on. Won't matter much who is playing QB if those two things don't somehow get the job done!!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Prior to our 1st preseason game I thought we'd win 7 games plus whatever we did against the 49er's. Following that game my expectations went down a game or two and the QB situation doesn't change that for me. Unfortunately, I suspect anything short of a playoff win will have the Leinart supporters bashing Whiz for how he handled this situation.

Steve

completely with you.

I couldn't believe so many here had us pegged as shoe-ins for the division with Matt in the first place. When we don't achieve those heights, I can't wait for them to come back and tell us we would have had he been here... with nothing whatsoever to back it up.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't it ironic that all we ever heard for the last 3 years is Whiz wants to have a team in the mold of the Steelers. Ball control, good defense, good special teams.
Leinart seems to be the guy that would fit that mold. Now all of a sudden we are going high risk , high reward.

This off season has been nutty.

is it really that nutty? We don't have a team that can play good defense or control the ball so we HAVE to be high risk, high reward. Wiz may WANT to play Steelers ball, but I think he looks at a team that has no ability to do so, thus, Matt, as a care-taker QB is relatively worthless on a team that's going to need to score.

why this is lost on a lot of y'all is a head-scratcher to me.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Anything less than winning the division again is pure crap. We have the superior personnel and coaching. It all rests on the QB. If DA fails to lead us to another division title, we will all wonder if matt could have done it if given the chance he was supposedly going to get.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anything less than winning the division again is pure crap. We have the superior personnel and coaching.

no we don't. Without Kurt, we had no idea if Matt would have been as mediocre as Alex Smith... the Niners running game is light years beyond ours as is their Defense. So how anyone could say the above is beyond me.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
no we don't. Without Kurt, we had no idea if Matt would have been as mediocre as Alex Smith... the Niners running game is light years beyond ours as is their Defense. So how anyone could say the above is beyond me.

Is it though? Frank Gore + the spread offense was mediocre at best last year. You think this has really changed?

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Is it though? Frank Gore + the spread offense was mediocre at best last year. You think this has really changed?

Gore:

'09 - 1,120 Yards, 4.9 YPC, 10 TD's
'08 - 1,036 Yards, 4.3 YPC, 6 TD's
'07 - 1,102 Yards, 4.2 YPC, 5 TD's

That "mediocre" stuff BLOWS AWAY anything we've done over the same period...
And I don't think you want the same analysis for the defense do ya??

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anything less than winning the division again is pure crap. We have the superior personnel and coaching. It all rests on the QB. If DA fails to lead us to another division title, we will all wonder if matt could have done it if given the chance he was supposedly going to get.

What's that based on? Is it simply because these are our guys therefore they must be better than the rest? Did you watch our defense get dominated by the Texans. How'd we look against Tennessee? We don't gameplan in the preseason and we typically underperform at this time of the year but we've looked horrible so far. Have you watched this offensive line? They've been barely adequate the past few years, thanks mostly to Kurt, and now they look like a line in disarray. How many teams lose the caliber of Warner, Dansby, Rolle and Boldin and get better right away?

I have a lot of confidence in Ken Whisenhunt. He's not perfect but I expect he will get this team playing well and we'll be playoff bound again fairly soon. I'd be surprised if it happened this year but it's not because of the QB shuffle.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

+1. They beat us twice last year when we were still probably the better team and we've most likely slipped a notch and they've most likely improved a notch. I think the 49'ers are probably getting too much love nationally but they're getting undervalued on our board. I wouldn't have a problem with that except it's going to get tiresome when they win the division and Whiz gets roasted for it.

Steve