Smoking Some Pulled Pork!

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, this isn't an inappropriate thread...I'm using my BBQ smoker for the first time.

It's tricky getting a hang of keeping the temps right, but I think I've got it on the right track. Here's the recipe I'm using; it's more of a Carolina BBQ, it seems (i'm not using a Bradley smoker, though):

Hickory Smoked Pulled Pork

Ingredients
• 3 kg (6 lb) pork butt roast
Rub:
• 30 ml (2 tbsp) paprika
• 10 ml (2 tsp) brown sugar
• 3 ml (1/2 tsp) onion salt
• 3 ml (1/2 tsp) celery salt
• 3 ml (1/2 tsp) garlic salt
• 3 ml (1/2 tsp) dry mustard
• 3 ml (1/2 tsp) ground black pepper
• 3 ml (1/2 tsp) cayenne pepper
• 3 ml (1/2 tsp) salt
Basting Sauce:
• 250 ml (1 c) apple cider vinegar
• 60 ml (1/4 c) water
• 30 ml (2 tbsp) Worcestershire sauce
• 15 ml (1 tbsp) coarsely ground pepper
• 15 ml (1 tbsp) coarse salt
• 10 ml (2 tsp) vegetable oil

Preparation
The night before serving mix together rub ingredients and massage into the pork roast. Cover with plastic and refrigerate overnight. Remove from refrigerator and let stand for 45 minutes to an hour.

Smoking Method
Preheat Bradley Smoker to between 100°C and 120°C (220°F and 250°F). Using Hickory flavor bisquettes smoke /cook for approximately 8 hours or until the meat reaches a minimum internal temperature of 70°C (160°F).
Mix together the sauce ingredients and baste the pork with sauce, setting aside remaining basting sauce. Continue smoke/cooking for an additional hour.

To Serve
To serve pull/shred the pork into slivers. Pile on hamburger or Kaiser buns and drizzle with remaining basting sauce.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds good, what time should I be there?

:D

OP
OP
Pariah

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started it at 1:00 this afternoon, so it should be done around 10:00 PM.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
40yearfan said:
Kind of a long way to go for a BBQ sandwich isn't it? :D

Yes but I love BBQ sammiches. Doesn't everyone?

SouthNZoneFan

GOOD FOR ME TO POOP ON
Reaction score
When my sister got married years ago we went to her future in-laws for a pulled pork roast to 'get to know' everyone.

And first off I am in no way of mexican origin at all! So I am an 18 year old single dude at a huge mexican family BBQ with a beer in my hand acting all tough like 18 year olds do....

...Next thing I know I get asked to get the pork out of the ground. I was like, "Sure, bring it on!"... Little did I know that this mexican family had made a six foot whole that they put the meat in with buring coals and then cover it up with a big metal door and then cover with dirt.

They honestly got the strongest dude there to pick me up (and I am not small by any means) by my feet and hold me over the hole so I could grab the huge cast iron pot that the piggy was in...

What a fun time...

Save me some pork. I will be over in Oct....

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I started it at 1:00 this afternoon, so it should be done around 10:00 PM.

BTW, just bought a pork shoulder and acquired a smoker. Was wondering how this turned out, or if you have different recipes for pork shoulder you really like.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
i 2nd that webpage - i get a lot of use out of my WSM and those guys and gals on that page know what they're doing - translates to really any smoker when you get into rubs, sauces, prep and things to look for

best of luck - pork is pretty forgiving, but be prepared for the plateau and leave yourself plenty of excess time - i remember my first one I had people over for dinner and I had the time about planned out based on weight ......... heh, i ended up cheating with foil and we still didn't eat until almost 9:30 pm..........

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
i know I posted these on here before, but this is from a recent cook - i did the injected pulled pork recipe from thevirtualweberbullet site- first time i ever injected for bbq - turned out great

You must be registered for see images attach

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
sounds good - in a couple weeks i'm going to do two pork butts and a brisket (2 if I can fit 'em) ........... may have to give that a try

was the bark really spicey?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dappy1