Cardinals' Roster Prediction V.3 with Game Notes

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
QB (3): 4-Kolb; 19-Skelton; 2-Bartel

Kolb is trying very hard---and making mistakes. But, as jazz icon Wynton Marsalis says so aptly, "If you aren't making mistakes, then you aren't trying."

His short throws to Andre Roberts were well timed and accurate. His longer throws were late, too well, telegraphed (one to Fitz on a deep inside curl should have been picked off) and inaccurate...like the deep z-out left to Fitz.

That's a play I love and is one my players had a great deal of success with. If we were running it left, as the Cardinals did last night, we called it "slot left, 36, waggle zig-zag pass." In other fake the off-tackle run to the right (36), QB waggle (deeper bootleg) left and the slot and wide WRs both run 45 degree inside zigs and then 45 degree zags toward the opposite sideline. It is an extremely difficult pass to defend---first there's the play action aspect and then there's the misdirection.

It's a much harder play for a right handed QB to make waggling to his left. We usually ran the zig-zags to the right. But when we ran it left, I had my QB stop his waggle at the upper line of the tackle box, because it takes time for the QB to set his feet and square his shoulders---and if the QB waggles too wide, by the time he throws the ball the defense has a chance to recover---which is exactly what we saw. So---next time, a shortened waggle is the thing.

The good news is Fitz was wide open deep and Roberts was even more wide open underneath.

There was some very good play calling by the Cardinals in this game---I loved the goal-line FB pass to Anthony Sherman, for example. Another play that is very difficult to defend.

The TE passes to Housler were very well designed and executed. Housler is slippery and man he has outstanding hands.

Loved too how Skelton attacked the GB zone on a 2nd and 15 by trying to hit Stephen Williams up the left sideline between the underneath LB and the over the top DB. Williams HAS to make that catch.

Bartel was very tidy and efficient all night until the interception---which for a second down play was totally unnecessary---4th down, sure. Both he and Kolb need to know when to throw the ball away. Kolb's sack was inexcusable as well.

Whiz did to Max Hall something similar to what he did with ML last year---don't keep him in the game---he might prove you wrong.

I felt very bad for Hall on his last throw because it looked clear to me that Chansi Stuckey ran his out route about 4 yards longer than he should---which is why we saw Max cuss and rip at his chin straps---the announcers felt this displayed Max's less than stellar arm strength---but there are few QBs in this league who could have gunned and threaded that out pass to Stuckey from that distance and that short of a window.

Yup---Max is toast. It took only until the 2nd pre-season game to know this for sure. Whiz wanted to see Bartel in the 2 minute drill, when it was Max's turn to play. Why even play Max for a series if you are going to bring Bartel back? This only adds more question to Whiz's handling of people and personnel. Max hHall, for all his size limitations, would give his left nut to make the team. He deserves a better scenario than what he got last night. It would have been classier to not play him and tell him that he would get the 4th quarter in one of the next two games.

Why was Whiz practically hiding Ryan Williams for two pre-season games? It's hard for any player to sit for an entire half and then go into the game in the second half...especially a highly tuned athlete like Williams. The players were all saying what a major factor Williams was going to be---and we fans all sensed it. Why then does he not get one first half carry in two games? Not one carry with the first team o-line?

Speaking of first teams---if the Cardinals don't settle into the personnel groups that will be starting the first game---especially with a new QB and so many new faces---timing and chemistry will continue to struggle.

The penalties last night were same old same old---exact same ones as last year. Levi jumping off-sides---Haggans jumping off-sides---holding calls that erase huge gains---etc. Penalties like these are a reflection of the coaching staff, especially when they are same old same old---same guys, same penalties, over and over.

You can say that THT ruined drives last year---and some key ones---by fumbling. But how many drives has Levi Brown ruined by stopping the momentum of a drive by putting the team in a 1st and 15 or 1st and 20 hole?

When is it going to stop?

RB (3): 26-Wells; 36-Stephens-Howling; 46-Smith.

Wells was productive last night. His best burst was on the screen pass he niftily snagged out of the grasp of a defender---but was called back. But---there is an awkwardness to Beanie---not sure how else to explain it---it looks like he's fighting himself most the time---

And it was interesting because a man from Mesa called in to Cardinals' Talk last night and asked John if he thought Whiz was being too hard publicly on Beanie in Whiz's post game comments---the caller said that maybe Whiz should air his critiques of Beanie privately.

John answered the question very diplomatically---he said that Whiz was upset about Ryan Williams and that Whiz was simply being honest. All true.

However---there comes a time when coaches have to understand whether it is better to massage a player's ego or to rip into him...with the knowledge of what's the best way to motivate that particular player.

Case in point: earlier in the game WR coach John McNulty ripped into Stephen Williams for his drops and mental errors. It was Haley-esque! Obviously, this lit a fire under Williams' arse because he played a good second half and scored a beautiful TD on the fade pass.

However---as awkward as Beanie appears---he looks like the kind of player that needs to be talked up and massaged---as in---"Hey man, you are Beanie Wells---THE Beanie Wells---from THE Ohio State University---from THE National Champions---you are a superstar---now go out there and be the superstar you are!"

Nitpicking and nagging on Beanie is not probably going to work. Just a hunch. But good HC's need to be able to massage certain players' egos---like Rex Ryan does and he's a master of it. Bill Parcells, for as rough and tough as he was on guys like QB Phil Sims (who needed it), he was the complete opposite with guys like Lawrence Taylor---because he knew the right buttons to push.

It might make one wonder about Whiz. And if he can't coddle a player who needs to be coddled then they shouldn't draft those type of personalities, because it isn't going to work.

LSH---now that kickoffs are becoming more and more obsolete---one would imagine that LSH's role in the offense will increase. But---there's only certain things he's good at, and running between the tackles isn't one of them. This puts the RB situation into even more of an uncertainty.

Alphonso Smith, on the other hand, is showing that he will hit whatever hole you ask him to run---and he advances consistently forward on his runs, unlike Beanie (although Beanie was better last night on a few occasions). If Smith develops as a blocker and receiver, he could be a factor in this offense.

But---because LSH limits the RB scenarios---it behooves the Cardinals to add another all-purpose RB. It will be interesting to see what they do and how imminent they view the situation. For now I will leave the unknown player off the roster---but add him in if and when he arrives.

FB (1): 35-Sherman.

Did you see Sherman's blocks in the second half? If he isn't running with the first team this week that would be just flat-out wrong.

Maui'a has been solid---but he doesn't cue up the LB or knock him backward the way Sherman does...and he's not nearly the ST player.

Charles Ali had a nice strip on the kickoff.

WR (6): 11-Fitzgerald; 12-Roberts; 85-Doucet; 89-Sampson; 18-Williams; TBD (Komar/Stuckey/I. Williams).

Fitz's catch? Two weeks in a row for the all-time Houdini of NFL WRs.

Roberts and Kolb are starting to click.

Doucet has been solid on the short routes---but we need to get some RACs and longer receptions out of him.

Sampson is the real deal. He's the reason why Whiz is saying they will be using different Z WRs. Plus, Sampson's ST play has been stellar.

Stephen Williams redeemed himself---the talent is obvious---but now John McNulty knows what buttons to push.

My guess of the remaining three? Komar makes it, with I. Williams to the PS again. Stuckey is deeper on the depth chart than what one would expect and has not made much of splash. For a 5 year veteran who has had some success, that's peculiar. But it may speak more to the talent and depth the Cardinals have at the position.

TE (4): 86-Heap; 87-King; 81-Dray; 84-Housler.

Didn't see much of Dray and if and when a new RB arrives, Dray may me the last man out. Housler was big in the passing game. But, did you see the play where he motioned and then pulled through the off-tackle hole to block and couldn't seem to find a man so he stopped and turned around? That's the last thing you want to do is stop in the hole. But the way he's catching the ball---send him out for passes every time he's in, even if as a decoy to occupy the LB.

OL (8): 75-Brown; 71-Colledge; 63-Sendlein; 76-Lutui; 73-Bridges; 74-Batiste; 70-Hadnot; 72-Keith.

I think the Cardinals would prefer to keep 9 OL, but it may be difficult to do so.

The tough choices are with G Pork Chop Womack and C Ben Claxton---but I could see the Cardinals keeping G Cliff Louis or Tom Pestock and C Kris O'Dowd on the PS...and T Jason Sperendon.

The o-line play was solid in the game---both in pass pro and the running game...save the penalties, which altered the momentum of the offense on numerous occasions.

If the Cardinals want the best continuity and chemistry for game one they had better decide on the starters this week. What appears wisest---is to move Deuce and Bridges into the starting lineup---

NT (2): 92-Williams; 79-Carter.

Big Dan with the Big sack! This may motivate him!

There's a player in the supplemental draft who is a very intriguing DT prospect---Keenan Mace (6-3, 306, Lindwood). Low center of gravity---bull strong and quick to the ball. The Cowboys love him. He will be selected, imo. Wonder if the Cardinals are interested? I think they like David Carter enough to pass on Mace, but Mace looks like a more natural NT, which is where he played and wreaked havoc in college.

DE (4): 90-Dockett; 93-Campbell; 91-Holliday; 94-Eason.

When Dockett and Campbell are this active, our defense up front is pretty dang good.

The silver lining of the THT deal is having the versatile Holliday for key depth at DE. Eason is solid as well.

Didn't see much this week from last week's surprise DE Ronald Talley.

ILB (4): 58-Washington; 51-Lenon; 97-Bradley; 56-Walker.

They were all solid in the game and, like the DBs, are improving in coverage.

OLB (5): 53-Haggans; 55-Porter; 50-Schofield; 94-Acho; PTBA

Haggans was not good in this game. Seems to be playing the guessing game out there and is guessing wrong. He used to be good at contain. Where has that gone? And the jumping off-sides on a key 3rd down situation has got to stop---for him and for everyone else. Porter was good in coverage and in run support---but he was not a factor as a rusher, which is a big concern. Acho is active,. but not quick off the edge. Schofield, thank goodness is quick, and gave us a glimmer of edge rushing hope.

In Monday's supplemental draft, there is a very intriguing edge rusher, Mike McAdoo (6-6, 250, North Carolina). McAdoo was one of the suspended players at UNC---he sued the NCAA because he didn't feel he should have been sanctioned the same as the others---but McAdoo was headed for what could have been a real breakout season. He had 4 sacks sacks and an interception in the UNC Spring Game and was named defensive MVP of the game. He didn't play that much before because he was behind Robert Quinn and Bruce Carter, amongst other blue-chip talents. McAdoo could be a steal and just what the Cardinals need. I hope they have done their homework on him and I hope they are willing to give up a middle round draft pick to get him. At this point, the potential reward in an area of utmost need is greater than the risk.

CB (5): 20-Jefferson; 28-Toler; 21-Peterson; 31-Marshall; 27-Adams.

Man there was all kinds of sticky coverage going on last night. I thought that Jefferson and Toler were outstanding. Peterson is not playing the ball yet obviously---that's his GAME. Once he starts seeing the ball---watch out! Marshall is used best in press overage---and I stlll think he would be a good option at SS.

S (5): 25-Rhodes; 49-Johnson; 24-Wilson; 21-Abdullah; 22-Ware.

It appears the Cardinals won't upgrade the position and that's a shame.

ST (3): 3-Feely; 5-Graham; 82-Leach.

Feely was outstanding in the game. Graham, who was not, and now finds himself in a bit of a competition with Derek Epperson, who boomed two punts for a 48 yard average. The problem with that is Graham is such a great holder for Feely the team needs to take that somewhat into consideration...that is unless Bartel is the answer (3rd string QBs are now eligible on game days).

One of the plays that bothered me most was Whiz's decision to kick the second FG. It was after Fitz's unreal catch. Kolb was fired up and was motioning to go for it. It was a 4th and 3 at the Packers' 35 yard line. Why not?

Everyone was saying after---including Whiz---too bad all we got is FGs. Well, how about making a statement and going for it on 4th down?

This week we need to see the real starting lineups---and we have to hope that the four week ice on the FOs' pens has thawed by now, because if they don't start signing some important depth players---this team, personnel-wise is not nearly as strong as it needs to be.

Last edited:

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bridges should have been a starter some time ago. I doubt very seriously we cut Graham, this preseason is undoubtedly an aberration.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I honestly feel like Levi Brown is regressing. He's dumb, slow, and clumsy. He's been on the team long enough to know snap counts, yet he still false starts religiously, that just goes to show he's a moron. He needs to be put on the 2nd team to show that he is expendable, because he has no competitive drive to improve, and thats a major problem.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

The TE passes to Housler were very well designed and executed. Housler is slippery and man he has outstanding hands.

We got us a keeper here.Can you say Novachek! :)

Bartel was very tidy and efficient all night until the interception---which for a second down play was totally unnecessary---4th down, sure. Both he and Kolb need to know when to throw the ball away.
This will be key. Sanchez got this his first yr. Don't put your team in a hole.
Once or twice you take a shot down field and if it's working than more. Don't put it up for grabs in front of defenders.

I felt very bad for Hall on his last throw because it looked clear to me that Chansi Stuckey ran his out route about 4 yards longer than he should---which is why we saw Max cuss and rip at his chin straps---the announcers felt this displayed Max's less than stellar arm strength---but there are few QBs in this league who could have gunned and threaded that out pass to Stuckey from that distance and that short of a window.

Good insight, I didn't notice Stuckey ran a bad route. Between him and Komar, I take Komar.

Yup---Max is toast. It took only until the 2nd pre-season game to know this for sure. Whiz wanted to see Bartel in the 2 minute drill, when it was Max's turn to play. Why even play Max for a series if you are going to bring Bartel back? This only adds more question to Whiz's handling of people and personnel. max hall, for all his limitations, would give his left nut to make the team. He deserves a better scenario than what he got last night.

Hopefully he'll get two more shots at it.

Why was Whiz practically hiding Ryan Williams for two pre-season games? It's hard for any player to sit for an entire half and then go into the game in the second half...especially a highly tuned athlete like Williams. The players were all saying what a major factor Williams was going to be---and we fans all sensed it. Why then does he not get one first half carry in two games? Not one carry with the first team o-line?

Lutui was in there and he's basically a 1st teamer from what I saw. He played like his usual nasty self. Good nasty. But I have zero problem bringing rookies along slow against the others teams 2nd's, at first. Hell they're probably playing harder than a lot of 1st teamers in pre-season.

Speaking of first teams---if the Cardinals don't settle into the personnel groups that will be starting the first game---especially with a new QB and so many new faces---timing and chemistry will continue to struggle.

The penalties last night were same old same old---exact same ones as last year. Levi jumping off-sides---Haggans jumping off-sides---holding calls that erase huge gains---etc. Penalties like these are a reflection of the coaching staff, especially when they are same old same old---same guys, same penalties, over and over.

Yet they're happy at LT - :sad: Realistically Housler said after the game the staff is stressing the importance of mistake free football (penalties). Stuff will happen , but they've got to clean up the mental stuff to succeed. In fairness Levi has been playing OK, but he belongs at Guard, plain and simple. If he can't handle it by next game, they ought to bring in Bridges there. 1st Half.

[/QUOTE]

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I take Komar over Stuckey too. Komar is a smart player and is very reliable in his routes. I still think he can show us some of the glory he displayed at Idaho as well, though he is a bit undersized.

Seandonic

Gotta love that Cardinal red!
Reaction score
Very nice Mitch...as usual. Thank you.

Hall is a goner.

I would really like you...or anyone else please...to cheer me up about the loss of R. Williams. :(

Totally agree on having Lutui and Bridges in the starting lineup.

The Cards need to pick up another OLB. I like your McAdoo idea but I feel a vet is even more important to bring in. Hopefully someone will become available after cuts.

I don't think Marshall is an option at SS. Furthermore, I believe the Cards can get buy with this secondary if the aforementioned outside pass rusher is brought in. If not then why not get some SS help after the cuts?

Especially agree about Whiz not going for it on 4th and 3. Why not, Indeed?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Very nice Mitch...as usual. Thank you.

Hall is a goner.

I would really like you...or anyone else please...to cheer me up about the loss of R. Williams. :(

Totally agree on having Lutui and Bridges in the starting lineup.

The Cards need to pick up another OLB. I like your McAdoo idea but I feel a vet is even more important to bring in. Hopefully someone will become available after cuts.

I don't think Marshall is an option at SS. Furthermore, I believe the Cards can get buy with this secondary if the aforementioned outside pass rusher is brought in. If not then why not get some SS help after the cuts?

Especially agree about Whiz not going for it on 4th and 3. Why not, Indeed?

Sean: it seems to me that Marshall is better when you put him in up near the box and have him press and run. I would rather have him at SS than Rashad Johnson. What worries me are the TEs we are going to face---someone is going to have to step up big-time to slow Greg Olsen, Chris Cooley and Zack Miller down the first three weeks...and it seems virtually every team on the schedule, including every team in the NFC West has a very good tight end. What I love about Marshall is his speed---he can move---and he can stay stride for stride with any TE and almost all WRs.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Heap,King,Dray and Housler are looking like they may be the best group of TEs we've had since Awalt and Novacek in the late '80s.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Well guy-----you knocked another one out of the park. Great work Mitch. I was going to work up a post about the game, but in truth, I am too bummed out by the terrible loss of Ryan Williams. He was lightning in a bottle in my opinion, (almost always made the first guy miss). His tackler unfortunately stuck a knee right into the hollow behind Williams right knee, and drove his knee into the ground from behind, severing the patella. Terrible break, not just for a great kid, but for the team as a whole. I love how the players responded to him. There is a lot of love for each other out there on the field, and that can't be a bad thing. That may go far towards changing attitudes around here.

I like that we were very competitive against a really good football team. We seemed to be quite resilient as well. I thought it was a really good performance overall, and the fact that we won a number of one-up match ups along the way is icing on the cake for me. I also like that despite not having the time he has needed to gel the defense, Horton is already onto something. I really liked his use of all 4 corners to cover the receivers long enough to allow the biggies to make some plays up front.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch, thanks. Two disagreements:
1. Womack, based upon the fact that he can play OG and OT, makes it as the 9th OL.
2. Isaiah Williams over Komar and Stuckey. However, we'll know more after the third PS based on PT and performance. I just think that IW has better size and speed.

Again, thanks.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I honestly feel like Levi Brown is regressing. He's dumb, slow, and clumsy. He's been on the team long enough to know snap counts, yet he still false starts religiously, that just goes to show he's a moron. He needs to be put on the 2nd team to show that he is expendable, because he has no competitive drive to improve, and thats a major problem.

It's not the snap count it's the cadence. It changes from QB to QB.

No doubt, he has to sharpen up - but any interview with Levi that you'd care to review would tell you that he isn't a dummy. Brown earned a Bachelor of Science in Labor and Industrial Relations from Penn State in 2005, and Bachelor of Science in Psychology.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
1. Womack (Doubt that any rookie is going to take a job from a guy who is versatile and started 15 games last year)

2. I think they'll will hedge their bet at RB by adding a 4th. This could cost 1 TE or 1 w/o his job.

3. Till further notice. Davis at OLB (plays ST)

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great write-up. A few comments:

I don't agree with you about Hall. I think Wiz wanted to either (a) win the game or (b) wanted to see how Bartel would perform under pressure. He may also wanted to communicate a "Hall is on the block" message to both outside GM's and Max.

Alfonso Smith fits the mold the well-rounded, solid, competent, "adequate but not special" RB's who are always on a roster bubble and seldom last for more than a few years in the NFL. But then there are a few of these guys who are a little more athletic, a bit faster, a step quicker and will surprise you with some wiggle when you least expect it. (Marcus Allen, Paul Hornung and Chester Taylor come to mind). While Smitty may not have proved yet that he belongs in that "special" category, he has shown flashes and I'm pulling for him.

I'd move Housler ahead of Dray - He brings a new element to the party - and we already have an all-purpose TE in Heap. (Maybe we'll keep 4 TE's)

Not so fast with regard to Graham as our punter. He was a bit more erratic in his production last season and didn't help his cause Friday night (A 32-yarder when we needed desperately to not get pinned deep in our own territory is not acceptable). Meanwhile, Epperson boomed 2 high and long punts for a sick net (I repeat net!) punting average of 47.5. (I'm still a Graham fan, but keep an eye on this roster battle taking place beneath the radar).

Finally, I don't think Wiz will ever admit this, but I think - having already won one game - he placed learning what his guys could do in specific game-situations at a higher priority than he did scoring a TD or winning a game.

PS Having watched him light up the stage as a teenage member of the Jazz Messengers, I still can't accept thinking of Wynton M in terms of being some kind of moldy old musical "icon."

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Yesterday I was able to watch the tape on my TV screen and not on a small internet link and here are some added notes:

1. Levi Brown is fanning and squaring up better than he ever has---but---obviously---he is so snap count antsy to get his drop step planted before the DE can rush him that he's jumping the gun. As with Leonard Davis and other LTs who lack quick twitch feet---it's an indication of the player's own conception of his weakness.

2. Ben Claxton played an excellent game. I mean really good game. Based on what i saw---I think he will make the roster as he did last year. The coaches will find a way.

3. D'Anthony Batiste---looks very comfortable and confident to me at LT. I love how feisty and combative he is. On one occasion, howver he jumped way out to fan block when no one was there and the DT rushed around LG Cliff Louis to the hole he created.

4. Alphonso Smith looks like he can be a threat as a receiver---he turned a quick out pass from Bartel on 3rd and 6 into a first down by making the first man miss.

5. Bartel has a good feel for the offense---but Russ is right, and this has been the mechanical flaw with Bartel---he throws too often off his back foot.

6. Even more impressed on the replay of Derek Epperson's punts.

7. ST tackling standouts: Sampson, Walker, Acho.

8. Rashad Johnson may be warming up to the SS position. He played pretty well and was good in coverage.

9. Conversely, Hamza Abdullah and Matt Ware are slow reacting---which as safeties they cannot afford to be.

10. Rhodes had the hit of the night when he upended Donald Driver on the slant catch. That was great to see from Rhodes!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
...I would really like you...or anyone else please...to cheer me up about the loss of R. Williams. :

From a personal standpoint, there's little to cheer anyone up by the loss of R Williams (He apparently is a terrific kid with the right attitude and on the verge of becoming a huge talent). We just have to hope that (a) there is a legitimate path to recovery and (b) he'll have the grit, discipline and "wanna" needed to do what he needs to do to make it all the way back. He might look to #50 (Schofield) for leadership and inspiration.

From a Cardinal standpoint, I was impressed by Alfonso Smith. True, he lacks the wiggle and home-run potential of R Williams, but there is something solid and trustworthy about Smitty (as a runner, blocker and pass catcher) that I don't recall us having since Stump Mitchell. And what I feel (& am hoping for) is that Funzie is one-step faster, a little bit quicker and a tad more mobile than you'd expect from most journeyman RB types who appear on the scene and then are gone.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, I worry more about replacing Beanie should he not do what will be expected of him than I do the loss of Williams.

However tragic on a personal level the injury is to him, I think it's less so to the team

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
Great work Mitch, love your passion for our team. Keep em coming.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Levi Brown is fanning and squaring up better than he ever has---but---obviously---he is so snap count antsy to get his drop step planted before the DE can rush him that he's jumping the gun. As with Leonard Davis and other LTs who lack quick twitch feet---it's an indication of the player's own conception of his weakness.

And Defensive Coordinators are quick to take advantage by lining guys up wider of the LT than normal. Which puts even more pressure on that type of LT to move quickly.

I remember one game in '05 I think it was where the opposing defense kept doing this to Davis and finally the OC called a sprint draw into the hole left by the defensive split and it went for something like 30 yards. I was amazed it took them so long to take advantage of it.

Teams are still doing it to Levi. Just look where the Packers outside rusher is. Time for the Cards to exploit that like Green did back in the day.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and...Find-Fit/43397391-c964-4854-8bc5-9d694922ea07

One might be dissapointed in how Levi has played but this article refutes all the nasty slurs you spewed.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Great stuff Mitch. If we bring in a 4th RB, which offensive position do you think gets cut down? I don't see us carrying 3 QBs, 4 RBs, a FB, 6 WRs, and 4 TEs. With the 8 OL that's 25 offensive players. Add in the K, P and LS and we're really going to be gutting our defensive depth.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Not sure how the final roster will shake out but I do like that you didn't put any of this years undrafted free agents on the team. Just way to hard for them to make the team this year with so little time to make an impression.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Great stuff Mitch. If we bring in a 4th RB, which offensive position do you think gets cut down? I don't see us carrying 3 QBs, 4 RBs, a FB, 6 WRs, and 4 TEs. With the 8 OL that's 25 offensive players. Add in the K, P and LS and we're really going to be gutting our defensive depth.

Actually, Dew, that (3 QBs, 4 RBs, 1 FB, 4 TEs, 6 WRS, & 8 OL) would be 26 offensive players---and would leave 24 for defense. Not the ideal, which is 25/25/3. The question becomes STs---if let's say Jim Dray offers more on STs than Will Davis---they keep Dray.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
And Defensive Coordinators are quick to take advantage by lining guys up wider of the LT than normal. Which puts even more pressure on that type of LT to move quickly.

I remember one game in '05 I think it was where the opposing defense kept doing this to Davis and finally the OC called a sprint draw into the hole left by the defensive split and it went for something like 30 yards. I was amazed it took them so long to take advantage of it.

Teams are still doing it to Levi. Just look where the Packers outside rusher is. Time for the Cards to exploit that like Green did back in the day.

Jake----that is the (putting the tackles alone on an island that I have been questioning for several years now). The tackles know they lack elite quickness so they try to compensate with ratcheting up their snap count. Sometimes the get too quick and false start. Can't fault them for that if the coaches aren't willing to help with a chipping TE or a TE assist on a particularly speedy rusher, or as you pointed out, calling something like a sprint draw to slow down the rush. Make 'em pay if they cheat on our guys.