Watson: Bender & Ulis will be part of 2nd unit

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Suns to insert Tyler Ulis, Dragan Bender into rotation

Basketball moves fast and Suns coach Earl Watson does too.

The Suns’ season-opening home loss to Sacramento prompted him to declare a new second unit after the 113-94 blowout Wednesday night.

Suns rookies Tyler Ulis and Dragan Bender will replace Leandro Barbosa and P.J. Tucker in the bench unit that will keep Brandon Knight, Marquese Chriss and Alex Len.

“To me, they play with the most heart,” Watson said. “Heart gets rewarded.”

Ulis was aggressive defensively with ball pressure to be part of a 20-4 run that included eight of Bender’s 10 points in 12 minutes.

“We need that energy,” Watson said. “We need those steals, deflections and we need that purpose. So those guys kind of earned minutes now.”

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...er-ulis-dragan-bender-into-rotation/92820030/

Sacramento closed the first quarter on a 16-1 run, turning a 18-14 lead into a 30-19 deficit at the end of the period. For Phoenix, the quarter was closed out by a five-man second unit that, through several substitutions, included P.J. Tucker, Leandro Barbosa, Brandon Knight, Alex Len and Marquese Chriss.

“One thing that was visible is our second unit — and in the first quarter (a) 16-1 run is unacceptable,” Watson told the media after the game. “Mix in the young guys in the second half, that looks like that is our second unit. So now the rotation is down.”

Based on the changes, that would indicate Tucker, who is still recovering from back surgery, and Barbosa are the odd men out.

Neither played in the second half, and when the Suns trailed by their biggest margin of the night, 82-56, and by the time he called a timeout with 2:35 left in the third, Watson had just given two rookies other than Chriss their debuts.

Waving the white flag? It might’ve been.

But it also was an opportunity for 18-year-old Dragan Bender and 20-year-old Tyler Ulis.

The bench lineup of Bender, Knight, Len, Chriss and Ulis was largely responsible for a 20-4 run to cut the Kings’ lead to 86-76 with nine minutes to play courtesy of 10 Bender points — including two threes — and Ulis’ airspace-eating defense of Sacramento’s Garrett Temple and Ty Lawson.

http://arizonasports.com/story/877296/earl-watson-suns-veterans-blowout-kings/

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This is what Watson said after the blowout loss at home to the Kings...made me excited as a Suns fan to see our young kids given extensive time, win or lose it wouldn't matter because of the experience they'd gain.

Since then Watson has for no reason at all changed his mind and went back to Barbosa, Tucker and Knight over Ulis, Bender and Chriss. Brandon Knight is one of the worst players in the NBA this season statistically and Tucker other than a decent game against the winless Pelicans hasn't done anything since returning either. Barbosa looks like he's just in it for that last and final paycheck.

I don't understand on why he changed his mind. Could Robert Sarver be pulling the strings here? Just find it weird for a coach to just openly lie about something like this and then change his mind when his intial decision was indeed the right move to make (making Bender & Ulis part of 2nd unit).

Instead, Bender and Ulis get DNPs or rarely play so far this season and even Chriss has now joined them if today's LAL game is any indication. Wish the Suns would follow the Lakers and Walton's blue print of playing young...LAL doesn't hold back on playing time for Russel, Randle, Ingram, Clarkson, Nance Jr etc. I understand building trade values but do the Suns seriously think Knight/Tucker continuing to play like crap is increasing their trade value? Every game they play, and the longer we hang on to them, the more their value decreases. Its like having stock in Chipotle.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I don't recall Watson making those statements... I guess its good news that he knows what to do so all he has to do is grow a pair and carry through. Brandon has had some decent floor time this year - to my surprise - but he folded like a cheap tent against our arch rival. Still, the offense runs better with Ulis on the floor so he should be getting minutes every game even when Knight is doing okay. Duds always makes some savvy plays but he's hurting us on the boards and not scoring much - I would say he's not regularly making a net positive contribution. Tucker isn't doing it consistently either. On average I'd say that Chriss would contribute about as much as either of them and be gaining experience while they just get older. I'd like Earl to use Bender in spots as a defensive stopper with a clear mission... I'm not convinced that Dragan can be a stopper but he's probably our best bet in the front court.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Hope nobody took his word for it.

Bench is not producing and our rookies are just sitting over there.

Disappointed in Watson.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's just a couple games. To me, it looks like he has been trying to get Booker going. He thought the vets would be the best help in that process. I bet one Booker gets established, he will start working the young guys in. I am just happy we started the season with Booker and Warren starting. Horny would have started PJ and Knight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hope nobody took his word for it.

Bench is not producing and our rookies are just sitting over there.

Disappointed in Watson.

Totally agree. Very disappointed that he is not playing the 3 rookies. They need the experience!!!

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
* The Suns have been tied or leading after the first quarter in five of their seven games.

The Suns have lost five of their seven games.

Things have gone askew in the second quarter, where the bench can have the greatest impact, and Suns coach Earl Watson said it is because he has not found the right lineup combinations with reserves or situated them to succeed.

“Like I told our team today, I failed them because that combination was put together by me,” Watson said after Tuesday’s shootaround in Portland. “I have to do a better job to put them in the position to be successful. Players are who they are and play the way they play. It’s up to the coach and the leader of that program to create a style of play that benefits their strengths. I’ve more than failed. That’s OK. I’m used to failing in life. Just be persistent. Without failure, there’s no success.”

The Suns have been outscored by an average of 5.7 points per second quarter this season. Only Indiana is having a tougher time with second quarters in the NBA.

While starters often finish the quarter, the second quarter usually has started with an all-reserve lineup or one with four reserves. That Suns bench ranks 29th in the NBA for field goal percentage (36.9) and last for 3-point percentage (20.5) while committing the fourth-most fouls (6.1 per game) and turnovers (10.7 per game).

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...s-weak-2nd-quarters-hurt-bench-play/93490092/
At least he's holding himself accountable but it's time to actually make changes. The reason the 2nd unit doesn't work is because it has so many ball hogs (Knight, Barbosa, Tucker). It needs more unselfish and guys who can move without the ball in Ulis and Bender.

If I was Watson I would take Booker out early, put Knight in then later in the 1st quarter take Warren out and put Tucker in with rest of starters for remainder of 1st quarter. Then start the 2nd quarter with a unit of Ulis, Booker, Bender, Chriss and Len. Take Barbosa out of the rotation entirely unless foul trouble happens.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, that change came sooner than I thought. Marquese Chriss named the full-time starter at pf over Jared Dudley per Coro.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BBN

Reaction score
Not sure what is going on with Ulis... I don't understand the method behind Watson's madness not playing him. Every game I see the team struggling.... and playing pretty ugly at times. I don't get why he doesn't throw Ulis in there. Ulis has made contributions on the very few times Watson played him... he plays smart and controlled and changes the flow of the game. It's just disappointing.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Not sure what is going on with Ulis... I don't understand the method behind Watson's madness not playing him. Every game I see the team struggling.... and playing pretty ugly at times. I don't get why he doesn't throw Ulis in there. Ulis has made contributions on the very few times Watson played him... he plays smart and controlled and changes the flow of the game. It's just disappointing.
The Suns front office was pushing Knight for 6th man of the year right from the start of the season. Unless Knight or Bledsoe get injured, Ulis doesn't stand a chance. Booker Part II. It looks like Watson has fallen into the Suns Head Coach malady of not being free to choose his rotation. Remember when Hornacek told the Press that he and the GM met regularly with Sarver to discuss who would get playing time. No matter who our Head Coach is, as long as Sarver is at the top, our Suns are a dysfunctional team. And here we go again!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns front office was pushing Knight for 6th man of the year right from the start of the season. Unless Knight or Bledsoe get injured, Ulis doesn't stand a chance. Booker Part II. It looks like Watson has fallen into the Suns Head Coach malady of not being free to choose his rotation. Remember when Hornacek told the Press that he and the GM met regularly with Sarver to discuss who would get playing time. No matter who our Head Coach is, as long as Sarver is at the top, our Suns are a dysfunctional team. And here we go again!

I especially like your first sentence as I believe it to be true.

However, there are other reasons Ulis may not be playing. It could be the Suns will be shopping trades until the trade deadline. Every day I check to see if the Suns have made a trade. I firmly believe Ulis will get an opportunity to play this season after the smoke clears.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

However, there are other reasons Ulis may not be playing. It could be the Suns will be shopping trades until the trade deadline. Every day I check to see if the Suns have made a trade. I firmly believe Ulis will get an opportunity to play this season after the smoke clears.
I hope you're right.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Which is just hilarious because Knight's one of the worst players in the NBA this season statistically.

Forget 6th man, would he even be in the rotation for any playoff team in the West? Doubt it.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

Its not an easy delima to solve. Is it more important to play Ulis the next 2 months or showcase/tryout Knight as the 6th man to either see if he can be an important piece or increase his trade value.

from phone

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its not an easy delima to solve. Is it more important to play Ulis the next 2 months or showcase/tryout Knight as the 6th man to either see if he can be an important piece or increase his trade value.

So true.

IMO, if the Suns can find a reasonable trade for Knight they should do it. I believe McDonough's decision to acquire Knight was a knee jerk reaction to prove Dragic could be replaced.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
So true.

IMO, if the Suns can find a reasonable trade for Knight they should do it. I believe McDonough's decision to acquire Knight was a knee jerk reaction to prove Dragic could be replaced.
If he sells low its gonna make him and the team look bad AGAIN but at some point you've just gotta cut your losses.

from phone

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he sells low its gonna make him and the team look bad AGAIN but at some point you've just gotta cut your losses.

At this point I don't think the Suns should worry about looking bad. I can see Knight as a festering problem coming off the bench. IMO, the Suns should get the best available trade and move on.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
At this point I don't think the Suns should worry about looking bad. I can see Knight as a festering problem coming off the bench. IMO, the Suns should get the best available trade and move on.
I don't know if there's even a team out there that would be willing to take on his contract at this point. Maybe a team that is in desperate need of a PG?

from phone

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if there's even a team out there that would be willing to take on his contract at this point. Maybe a team that is in desperate need of a PG?

Maybe the Kings?

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

from phone
The Suns could just cut him like the Pistons did with Josh Smith. Pistons have never looked back since doing that.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The Suns could just cut him like the Pistons did with Josh Smith. Pistons have never looked back since doing that.

• I hope he's not viewed as poorly around the league as Josh Smith.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard