Silver: Warner isn’t done just yet

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...slug=ms-morningrush100608&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

GLENDALE, Ariz. – Kurt Warner nearly tripped over halfback Edgerrin James, stumbling backward after a play-fake as the Buffalo Bills’ pass rush collapsed the pocket around him. The Arizona Cardinals’ 37-year-old quarterback couldn’t see his primary target, Pro Bowl wideout Larry Fitzgerald, as he released a crisp pass to the end zone that only about five NFL quarterbacks would dare attempt.

Warner, having absorbed a blow to his badly swollen right index finger just before the throw, landed hard on his back and winced. Then he heard the roar of 63,830 fans at University of Phoenix Stadium, reacting to Fitzgerald’s diving catch between two defenders late in the third quarter that would extend Arizona’s lead – another big play by the Cardinals’ most important player in a 41-17 victory over a previously undefeated team.

That made Warner happy. But not too happy: Instead of racing into the end zone to join the celebration, Warner simply got up and jogged to the sideline with his head down.

Up in Section 105 his wife, Brenda, shook her head in amazement.

“Seeing him out there today running around like a little boy, it was such a strange sensation,” she explained after the game. “A week ago, when he told me he was going to retire, I was thinking, ‘Wow, this is it. It’s over.’ Now, seeing him out there having so much fun? No way. He’ll probably keep playing, for who knows how long.”

When Warner plays the way he did on Sunday, the Cardinals (3-2), who hold a one-game lead over the San Francisco 49ers in the NFC West, look capable of finally becoming a legitimate contender. When they host the Dallas Cowboys next Sunday, it’s not far-fetched to think that Warner could outduel Tony Romo and lead Arizona to its ninth victory in 11 home games under second-year coach Ken Whisenhunt.

Seven days before bringing renewed hope to the Valley of the Sun, Warner was at the lowest point of his professional career. Distressed over a terrifying head injury to teammate Anquan Boldin, the father of seven had decided he was done playing football, effective immediately.

“Something scary like that just makes you contemplate what’s really important and puts football in perspective,” Warner reflected after Sunday’s game. “It’s things like that make you say, ‘This game isn’t everything, and I’m not sure if I can do this anymore.’ Because the bottom line is that all I really want is to be able to go home to my wife and kids.”

A week earlier the deeply religious passer worried that Boldin might not have that privilege. Warner was in a dark and scary place as he rode a team bus from Giants Stadium, where the Cards had just been drubbed by the New York Jets, to the Newark Airport. Warner had been responsible for six turnovers in that 56-35 defeat, throwing three interceptions and losing three of four fumbles on a miserable afternoon, but that wasn’t what gave him the sick feeling in his stomach.

Flashing through his head on continuous loop was the high pass he’d floated to Boldin in the front of the Jets’ end zone with 27 seconds remaining, a futile throw that left the receiver sandwiched between defensive backs Kerry Rhodes and Eric Green. A helmet-to-helmet shot from Green snapped Boldin’s head backwards and left him motionless on the ground, with teammates fearing that he’d been paralyzed. (The NFL later suspended Green for a game and fined him $50,000.)

Knocked momentarily unconscious, with blood spurting from his mouth, Boldin was strapped to a stretcher and taken to a local hospital. Warner, who had led a group of players from both teams in prayer on the field, left Giants Stadium without knowing whether or not his friend was permanently injured. He felt responsible, having purposely avoided similarly high-risk passes on the previous two plays before giving in and launching the ball that left the exceptionally tough Boldin motionless on the turf.

Sitting alone on the bus, praying under his breath while wiping away tears, Warner sent Brenda a text message that stunned her: This is it. I can’t do this anymore. It’s time to retire.

Recalled Brenda: “He meant, like, now.”

Kurt’s mood improved after learning that Boldin would be OK, as the wideout was released from Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City later that evening and flew home on team executive Michael Bidwill’s private jet. The standout player known as “Q” had surgery to repair a fractured sinus bone last Thursday night and missed Sunday’s game, though he could return as early as next week.

Meanwhile, Warner’s play on Sunday has everyone associated with the Cardinals feeling whole again. He completed 33 of 42 passes for 250 yards, including a pair of 2-yard scoring throws to Fitzgerald, spreading the ball around to nine receivers. Best of all, he made zero mistakes, allowing Arizona to win the turnover battle by a 4-0 margin.

Granted, the Bills suffered a major blow on the game’s third play from scrimmage when a hard hit by blitzing Cardinals safety Adrian Wilson knocked out Buffalo quarterback Trent Edwards with a concussion. But the way Warner was running the Cards’ offense on Sunday, even Jim Kelly in his heyday would’ve had a hard time keeping pace.

It was a dramatic bounce-back from Warner’s turnover-fest against the Jets, which reignited fears that the ball-security issues which cost the two-time MVP starting jobs with the Rams, Giants and pre-Whisenhunt Cardinals had resurfaced.

To his credit Warner, after banging his index finger on a Jets defender’s helmet early in the game, never used the injury as an excuse, though it prevented him from gripping the ball as tightly as normal.

Whisenhunt, who chose Warner as his starter over presumed franchise quarterback Matt Leinart after a training-camp competition, says he never considered making a switch.

“No, I didn’t,” Whisenhunt said after Sunday’s game. “Kurt and I had a good discussion last week. We talked about what happened, and some of it obviously had to do with the circumstances of that game. But overall we’re very happy with Kurt. There are things we’ve asked him to do, and there are some things we’ve done to adapt to what he does well. And when we don’t make mistakes, we’re a pretty good football team.”

For all of the young talent on the Cardinals’ roster, the key to Whisenhunt’s team is Warner. That’s something virtually no one saw coming after Arizona drafted Leinart, the former Heisman Trophy winner and USC star, with the 10th overall pick of the ‘06 draft and installed him as the team’s starter in the fifth week of his rookie season.

Leinart may still have a bright future, but there’s no doubt that the Cardinals are Warner’s team.

“Kurt’s the consummate professional,” Fitzgerald said Sunday. “He’s seen everything. He’s been through the peaks and he’s been through the valleys, and I know nothing’s going to faze him. We’re a different team to deal with when Kurt’s playing at this level.”

That was clear on Arizona’s first drive when, on first-and-goal from the 2, he got to the line of scrimmage with the option to run or pass – one of the wrinkles Whisenhunt and offensive coordinator Todd Haley have installed to take advantage of Warner’s experience – and correctly identified the Bills’ defense. After shouting out a play at the line that called for Fitzgerald, who was in the right slot, to run a fade to the corner of the end zone, Warner froze defensive backs Leodis McKelvin and Ashton Youboty with a sly pump fake. Both Bills defenders broke on an inside route as Warner lofted the ball to the wide-open Fitzgerald for the game’s first score.

In the second quarter Warner absorbed a hit from linebacker Kawika Mitchell that split his chin, requiring stitches on the sidelines. He spent the rest of the game with a white adhesive bandage covering the bottom of his salt-and-pepper (OK, it’s mostly salt) goatee. The quarterback’s index finger, which earlier in the week had swelled to the size of 6-foot-4, 332-pound Arizona guard Deuce Lutui’s, continued to affect his grip, but he found a way to make that work, too.

Warner never saw the outcome of the game’s most memorable play, the scoring pass to Fitzgerald that the sprawled-out receiver somehow snatched between defenders McKelvin and Kyle Williams, giving the Cardinals a 31-17 lead.

“I’m sure he knew I would catch it,” Fitzgerald reasoned. “It’s all calculated with him. He saw me break free, and he put it where he needed to put it.”

Well, maybe not.

“I had no idea he’d catch it,” Warner said, laughing. “I was just trying to put it somewhere where only he could get it. But I really didn’t think he could get there.”

Call it blind faith – the same kind of unquestioned belief the Cardinals have in their graying quarterback.

“He looked so young out there today,” Brenda said.

Too young to walk away, perspective be damned.

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
Saw this on PFT, where it is written thusly:
WARNER WAS GOING TO RETIRE LAST WEEK

Posted by Mike Florio on October 6, 2008, 8:38 a.m. EDT

Though the scary head injury suffered eight days ago by Cardinals receiver Anquan Boldin wasn’t bad enough to knock him out of the game for more than a couple weeks, it almost knocked the man who threw the ball that Boldin was trying to catch out of the league permanently.

Per Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports, quarterback Kurt Warner decided after the September 28 game against the Jets to retire immediately.

“This is it. I can’t do this anymore. It’s time to retire,” Warner wrote in a text message to his wife, Brenda.

“Something scary like that just makes you contemplate what’s really important and puts football in perspective,” Warner told Silver after Sunday’s 41-17 win over the Bills. “It’s things like that make you say, ‘This game isn’t everything, and I’m not sure if I can do this anymore.’ Because the bottom line is that all I really want is to be able to go home to my wife and kids.”

Warner changed his mind about hanging it up after he learned that Boldin’s injuries weren’t serious.

That was great news for the Cardinals. Warner bounced back from a six-turnover (NFL.com still says it was seven) performance against the Jets and led the Cardinals to a season-correcting win, which put them back on top of the NFC West, 2.5 games ahead of the umpteen-time defending champs from Seattle.

Against the previously unbeaten Bills, Warner completed 33 of 42 passes for 250 yards and two touchdowns. More importantly, he generated no turnovers.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/06/warner-was-going-to-retire-last-week/#comments

We'll ride or die with you, Kurt; just make sure it's Good Kurt

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“Seeing him out there today running around like a little boy, it was such a strange sensation,” she explained after the game. “A week ago, when he told me he was going to retire, I was thinking, ‘Wow, this is it. It’s over.’ Now, seeing him out there having so much fun? No way. He’ll probably keep playing, for who knows how long.”

Wow, Kurt felt like I felt last week. I would have cut his ass after that first half last game.

Kurt played a sound game today and only made a couple mistakes. (none of which were capitalized upon)

I hope we don't see the Jets Kurt again. I'm afraid we will at least one more time this season.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the emotions aspect of the game that we forget about. You could see in the press conference after the game last week Kurt was upset about Anquan. He kept anwering questions by saying it didn't really matter he was more worried about Anquan's health than a football game.

It's a very tough business and when you're Kurt's age it's just natural to think about stuff like that in a bad loss with a bad hit like the one Boldin took.

He did a great job of rebounding yesterday.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I think Whis needs to make sure Warner isn't kept away from his family for two weeks anymore. I think the stayover in New York really affected him and the Q hit brought it all to the surface.

Of course, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great article. Does anyone doubt that when Warner told Q he loved him that he meant it?

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
Great article. We are fortunate to have Warner at the helm. GO CARDS!!!!!!!!!

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Just created a separate thread about this topic as I heard Bickley mention it this morning...

Wow... really takes you into the emotional element of pro football.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Wow, Kurt felt like I felt last week. I would have cut his ass after that first half last game.

Kurt played a sound game today and only made a couple mistakes. (none of which were capitalized upon)

I hope we don't see the Jets Kurt again. I'm afraid we will at least one more time this season.

Please, oh please, don't let it happen during to Cowboys game!

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Please, oh please, don't let it happen during to Cowboys game!

Heard a stat today:

In his career, Kurt has turned the ball over more than 4 times in a game, 9 times... HOWEVER, he has never done it twice in one season! So - he's done for this year!!!! It's clear sailing from here on out!!! ;)

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
The Cardinals and Warner seem to be slaves to trends in previous games this year so I was curious to see his history vs. Dallas. With all the time he's spent in the NFC during his career he only has 2 appearances vs. the Cowboys. One, as a Giant, they won(Warner was pretty much a non-factor in that game). The first time, as a Ram, he broke his hand on a helmet.

No trend is a good trend from what I can tell so far so we'll see.

Spielman

Non-Troll Rams Fan
Reaction score
Heard a stat today:

In his career, Kurt has turned the ball over more than 4 times in a game, 9 times... HOWEVER, he has never done it twice in one season! So - he's done for this year!!!! It's clear sailing from here on out!!! ;)

Again... that's because he usually gets benched after the first one.

I'm kinda surprised not to see more backlash at the idea that he was talking about retiring in the middle of the season. That's the kind of thing people often go on the attack over, regardless of the circumstances.

Personally, I don't blame him... couple the pretty awful day at the office with what looked like a first-class scary injury to a teammate and friend, and then throw in having been without your family for more than a week, and an emotional reaction isn't exactly surprising.

Now, if he'd said it publicly and then backed off of it, or allowed it to become a distraction to the team, or anything of the sort, I'd fry him myself. But he didn't, and it wasn't a distraction, and now it's just a momentary blip on the radar.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not too surprised he mentioned retiring. He's broached the subject before, and he's got a ton of stuff to do outside of football. Whenever he hangs it up, I won't be shocked.

Gotta love this guy's toughness though. I didn't realize how tough he was before he played for us. That's something this team has sorely lacked in it's leaders over the years.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm kinda surprised not to see more backlash at the idea that he was talking about retiring in the middle of the season. That's the kind of thing people often go on the attack over, regardless of the circumstances.

Personally, I don't blame him... couple the pretty awful day at the office with what looked like a first-class scary injury to a teammate and friend, and then throw in having been without your family for more than a week, and an emotional reaction isn't exactly surprising.

Now, if he'd said it publicly and then backed off of it, or allowed it to become a distraction to the team, or anything of the sort, I'd fry him myself. But he didn't, and it wasn't a distraction, and now it's just a momentary blip on the radar.

If he'd played poorly again yesterday and this came out it would be big news, he played great so it's not big news.

I'm sure there were a dozen or more guys on the field after that play contemplating retiring themselves after seeing Anquan go down and stay down.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
At an emotional moment he texted it to his wife, things settle down a bit and things get put in perspective. No big deal we all do it. Heck how many of us have told our wives we were quitting our jobs after a really bad day?

I'm more surprised this text has reached the media. Who did that and why?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Not me. I can relate. I talk about retiring from golf every Saturday around 2PM.

If Warner were 27 it might be a big deal. At 37 its normal.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Not me. I can relate. I talk about retiring from golf every Saturday around 2PM.

I don't think it's a big deal regardless of the age. there are highs and lows in life for emotional people. everyone is different. when something significant like that happens to someone it makes you step back and think. we are human. I don't know why people forget that when they start talking about these players like they are machines. IMO kurt warner is a stand up guy. warner is a guy I have a lot of respect for. I think his best days are clearly in the past and I said the cards would have an up and down year because of their QB situation. but that doesn't take away from the great person and player that kurt warner has been in his tenure. for him to take blame for that play shows you how much he cares about others. that's just my take on it.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

:yeahthat:
He's older. IMO more spiritual that most. Has quite a family to think about.

I admire the fact that he can go from the Jets game and feeling that way to the dominating game that he played.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
That's the emotions aspect of the game that we forget about. You could see in the press conference after the game last week Kurt was upset about Anquan. He kept anwering questions by saying it didn't really matter he was more worried about Anquan's health than a football game.

It's a very tough business and when you're Kurt's age it's just natural to think about stuff like that in a bad loss with a bad hit like the one Boldin took.

He did a great job of rebounding yesterday.

As a young pilot I felt invincible. Even when some of my friends would be killed in an accident or combat. As I grew older I became aware that you could actually die flying an aircraft in combat. Young guys generally make the best fighter pilots. They have not yet grasped the idea of living on the edge and death.

In pro sports most of the players are young and feel invincible. NFL football is not a game for the timid. Guys like Warner who are almost 38 amaze me. As a QB he knows he is going to get smashed at least once in every game. Maybe more. We have a number of NFL players in wheelchairs. NFL players are not unlike combat pilots. You somehow manage to think you will not be the one to go down. It works for the most part. The reality is pilots do get killed and injured and some NFL players do end up in wheelchairs. When I reached the age of 40 it dawned on me what I was doing was dangerous and I no longer was the pilot I was when I was 28. This does not apply to commercial type flying as these guys in fact do get better with age. Experience does make them better. They have better judgement based on experience. Then, they do not have to pull 7-9 G's with rockets or anti-aircraft fire coming at them. Warner is one tough guy. How he even throws the ball with a swollen finger is beyond me. He has said he believes in attack attack attack. Kurt Warner would have made a great fighter pilot. Let us just hope he can stay healthy for the rest of the season as he tends to stand in the pocket until the last second to get the ball off. That throw to Fitz in the zone for a TD was thrown as Warner was on the way down. That is what Kurt means when he says attack. Some of those are going to be intercepted and he could have fumbled on that hit but that is the attack style of Kurt Warner. Some may not like that style of high risk high reward football but that is what you get with Warner. He has a super bowl championship ring and another super bowl ring to show for it. He is not likely to change his style of play.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard