Silver lining: The niners draft pick is lower and harbaugh is gone

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you can take anything away from this game it is this.

- niners draft pick is worse.

- harbaugh is gone (and does any quality coach want to go there after that debacle?)

- we are still in the playoffs

- lindley had his best game ever

[please ignore the terrible defense behind the curtain]

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

- harbaugh is gone (and does any quality coach want to go there after that debacle?)

But our defense is an enigma

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
There really are no silver linings ... I can see Bowles wearing 9er colors next season. I don't care much at all about the 9ers pick being one spot worse... Lindley's "best game" just might be good enough to keep him off a practice squad next season... And yea, I like that we still have a game left to play, but getting smacked around by Cam Newton won't be much fun.
My eyes are already turned to 2015...

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If people can't give our team respect going against a 7 win Carolina team, in the worst division in football, with a soft schedule, then I don't know what to say. We had a very difficult schedule, played with multiple QB's and had dudes hurt all year... And still won 11 games.

Surely our team deserves respect against Carolina. They won 7 freaking games.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
If people can't give our team respect going against a 7 win Carolina team, in the worst division in football, with a soft schedule, then I don't know what to say. We had a very difficult schedule, played with multiple QB's and had dudes hurt all year... And still won 11 games.

Surely our team deserves respect against Carolina. They won 7 freaking games.

Uh... You might have missed this but they have an NFL caliber QB who just went into Atlanta and demo'd them. Whereas not only do we have a pop warner caliber QB, but we got hammered in Atlanta... And that defense that gave up a 300 yard passing day and not one, but two 100 yards receivers that horrible day on Atlanta, is now the defense that we have had over the past few weeks. So yea, Vegas should have us at least a 7-8 point dog going into Carolina...

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Uh... You might have missed this but they have an NFL caliber QB who just went into Atlanta and demo'd them. Whereas not only do we have a pop warner caliber QB, but we got hammered in Atlanta... And that defense that gave up a 300 yard passing day and not one, but two 100 yards receivers that horrible day on Atlanta, is now the defense that we have had over the past few weeks. So yea, Vegas should have us at least a 7-8 point dog going into Carolina...
Your smartassery aside, they've won 7 total games this year. In a bad division. I didn't miss anything, perhaps you have.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
According to reports 49ers might be losing their best defensive lineman to retirement. Losing Cowboy hurts more than losing Harbaugh.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And the answer is a resounding YES. They have talent and Head Coaching gigs are few and far between. Hopefully the Front Office will take the Raiders approach and keep choosing the wrong Coach but I have no doubt there will be a winner or two interviewing for the position.

Steve

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i don't know...if the FO is pushing guys out who win a ton of games, go to the SB and multiple nfc title games, then it's not an environment a good coach may want to be around.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Your smartassery aside, they've won 7 total games this year. In a bad division. I didn't miss anything, perhaps you have.

We were 9 & 1... Finished the season going 2 & 4. We'll get respect when it's all said and done as putting up 11 wins when we confronted epic challenges deserves respect. However, next week whomever you are seeking respect from will not be handing it out... Nor should they. We are a beaten and battered team, with a turnover machine at QB and no run game to speak of... Oh, and QB's like Wilson, Kap and Newton give us fits...
As I said, I suspect we'll be at least a TD underdog going into Carolina. And honestly, if it went to 10'points I would not at all be surprised....

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i don't know...if the FO is pushing guys out who win a ton of games, go to the SB and multiple nfc title games, then it's not an environment a good coach may want to be around.

I'd agree if there were 300 Head Coaching jobs in the league but there aren't. People will put up with quite a bit for 5 or 6 million a year. Heck, I'd let them fire me for that kind of money and I wouldn't last half a season.

Steve

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I'd agree if there were 300 Head Coaching jobs in the league but there aren't. People will put up with quite a bit for 5 or 6 million a year. Heck, I'd let them fire me for that kind of money and I wouldn't last half a season.

Steve

Totally agree... Atlanta might be another viable option for Bowles... Or the Giants if they open up their spot...

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
We were 9 & 1... Finished the season going 2 & 4. We'll get respect when it's all said and done as putting up 11 wins when we confronted epic challenges deserves respect. However, next week whomever you are seeking respect from will not be handing it out... Nor should they. We are a beaten and battered team, with a turnover machine at QB and no run game to speak of... Oh, and QB's like Wilson, Kap and Newton give us fits...
As I said, I suspect we'll be at least a TD underdog going into Carolina. And honestly, if it went to 10'points I would not at all be surprised....
I'm taking the points then. I think the line will be likely around 5. They were only 6.5 dogs at SF and they are better than Carolina.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I'm taking the points then. I think the line will be likely around 5. They were only 6.5 dogs at SF and they are better than Carolina.

Perhaps... Though I think Carolina is playing "better" than the 9ers right now. I think our defense is totally gassed, mentally and physically... And Carolina has the type of offense, very much like Seattle, than can drive the heart right out of our guys...
Hope I'm wrong...

EDIT: opening line is Panthers -4. I would expect that move closer to a TD by game time...

Last edited:
OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Steve

there lies the point; you aren't a good coach (assumption). someone will go there for money; good coaches will go elsewhere for the same money and no headaches.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there lies the point; you aren't a good coach (assumption). someone will go there for money; good coaches will go elsewhere for the same money and no headaches.

Yeah, it's a safe assumption. But I believe there are a lot of good coaches in the college game or working at the assistant and coordinator level that would jump at a chance to coach any NFL team. And they'd do it even knowing it might be their only chance and it could very well end poorly for them in a few years. You always hear about the young lady that marries poorly because she's convinced she can mold her mate into the person she wants him to be. I think we're all a bit delusional in that way.

I guess if you're talking about established NFL Coaches that have already proven themselves at the highest level, I could see some of them passing it up in hopes of a safer opportunity.

Steve

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a safe assumption. But I believe there are a lot of good coaches in the college game or working at the assistant and coordinator level that would jump at a chance to coach any NFL team. And they'd do it even knowing it might be their only chance and it could very well end poorly for them in a few years. You always hear about the young lady that marries poorly because she's convinced she can mold her mate into the person she wants him to be. I think we're all a bit delusional in that way.

I guess if you're talking about established NFL Coaches that have already proven themselves at the highest level, I could see some of them passing it up in hopes of a safer opportunity.

Steve

yeah, and that to me is a crapshoot. for every harbaugh you get you end up with another moneychaser assistant that isn't worth a crap. Add in a team that is dying on the vine already with a "hotshot" college coach and I see more of the "same old niners" we had for a long while.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson