Signings, Trades, Rumors including Suns and NBA

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forget which poster suggested Josh Hart but I think he would be an ideal addition.
Why? Where do you see him with us? He's been moved to the power forward spot this season where he's been his most effective. He'd be an upgrade in some areas as a backup PF or maybe even as a starter if we trade Crowder but I'm not sure I'd put him in front of CamJ. I can't see using him at the 2 but I guess he could help us backing up Mikal. But then we're still missing what we really need, a ballhandler that can defend quickness and generate his own offense.

I'm not sure why NO would want to move him anyway. He might be a little overpaid but considering they have a team option this year (and next) they really have no need to take back anything that doesn't give them real value.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
The plan should be to eventually max Ayton. But if Jones disagrees, he still cant trade him. You dont want to blow up the chemistry when you have a legit chance to get to the championship. We have no major weaknesses that need addressing save for Shamet, and certainly none that would need to be fixed by way of trading Ayton.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Why? Where do you see him with us? He's been moved to the power forward spot this season where he's been his most effective. He'd be an upgrade in some areas as a backup PF or maybe even as a starter if we trade Crowder but I'm not sure I'd put him in front of CamJ. I can't see using him at the 2 but I guess he could help us backing up Mikal. But then we're still missing what we really need, a ballhandler that can defend quickness and generate his own offense.

I'm not sure why NO would want to move him anyway. He might be a little overpaid but considering they have a team option this year (and next) they really have no need to take back anything that doesn't give them real value.
He’s making almost the same amount as Shamet on a year to year basis and he’s a terrific rebounder as a small ball 4 but he’s not a true ball handler who can create his own shot. However, his connection with Mikal from their Nova days could be interesting.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The plan should be to eventually max Ayton. But if Jones disagrees, he still cant trade him. You dont want to blow up the chemistry when you have a legit chance to get to the championship. We have no major weaknesses that need addressing save for Shamet, and certainly none that would need to be fixed by way of trading Ayton.
I'm not in favor of trading him but if you're correct and he has no intention of staying here and has asked them to not match, I say screw it and trade him. Is there a risk, yes but there's a risk keeping him too if what you suggested is accurate.

If we have to make the deal, I'd offer something like Ayton, Saric, Payton and Nader for Sabonis and McConnell.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s making almost the same amount as Shamet on a year to year basis and he’s a terrific rebounder as a small ball 4 but he’s not a true ball handler who can create his own shot. However, his connection with Mikal from their Nova days could be interesting.
Yeah I like him, I just don't see him filling a need for us right now.

TJ

Reaction score
I'm not in favor of trading him but if you're correct and he has no intention of staying here and has asked them to not match, I say screw it and trade him. Is there a risk, yes but there's a risk keeping him too if what you suggested is accurate.

If we have to make the deal, I'd offer something like Ayton, Saric, Payton and Nader for Sabonis and McConnell.
Gonna take more than that to get the best player in NBA history on this team

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
And someone is giving Ayton the max for sure so either you need to commit to paying him or you have to deal him at the deadline.
matching another teams max offer and what the Suns can offer for a max are 2 huge differences and both sides know it. a simple match by the Suns saves multi millions per

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Has this goof ever broken a story? I know he has, often, jumped on the wagon when something gets reported and then claimed it was the ambiguous thing he was previously hinting at... but has he even been first out the gate with something that actually happened?

I am confused as to why I should think a guy who makes videos in his car, in New Jersey and looks like he washes cars for a living is an NBA insider?
He broke the Chris Paul trade before it was in the news.

TJ

Reaction score

Reread this. I honestly don’t know if Ayton has privately asked to move on from Phoenix (he’s very recently been genuinely complimentary about the culture of the Subs). But at a certain point, a player of his caliber who’s essentially being punished monetarily for sacrificing his game for the betterment of the team, has to think about himself and his family and what’s best for them. He may have to go to a bottom-dweller for like Detroit for that to happen, but it’s not out of the realm of possibility.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Reread this. I honestly don’t know if Ayton has privately asked to move on from Phoenix (he’s very recently been genuinely complimentary about the culture of the Subs). But at a certain point, a player of his caliber who’s essentially being punished monetarily for sacrificing his game for the betterment of the team, has to think about himself and his family and what’s best for them. He may have to go to a bottom-dweller for like Detroit for that to happen, but it’s not out of the realm of possibility.
LOL that you still think he's sacrificing. He's not "sacrificing" anything. He's a good player that is worth the max he can get this summer. That's it.

If you are implying that the Suns are holding him back and he is actually worth a supermax (or equivalent) contract, then you are blinded by your love for the UA.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm hoping the Suns offer Ayton a larger max than another team can offer when he becomes a RFA.

Hopefully it was more about the Suns not wanting to pay the super max.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Um. How in the world is he sacrificing his game? The coach and the players want more offense from him, not less. Chris Paul makes journeymen centers look like stars. Ayton is making no sacrifices here, and he knows it.

Ayton is not being punished. A FA max second contract is probably right in the market for what he is worth.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many millions does he have to make so he doesn’t have to think what’s best for his family?:D
People every day say "here, take this stash of cash from me I already have enough". I haven't met them yet but they must be out there. And I'm still looking for them.

TJ

Reaction score
LOL that you still think he's sacrificing. He's not "sacrificing" anything. He's a good player that is worth the max he can get this summer. That's it.

If you are implying that the Suns are holding him back and he is actually worth a supermax (or equivalent) contract, then you are blinded by your love for the UA.
Then Monty, CP3 and Booker are “blinded by their love for UofA” as well, because they’ve all said the same thing on separate occasions.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People every day say "here, take this stash of cash from me I already have enough". I haven't met them yet but they must be out there. And I'm still looking for them.

If you find any let me know.

Actually Ayton will be seeking market value. I wish I were in that elite category to get paid that kind of money.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Then Monty, CP3 and Booker are “blinded by their love for UofA” as well, because they’ve all said the same thing on separate occasions.
What is he sacrificing? Please, let us know. What is he capable of that he isn't doing?

It doesn't matter what so and so says. In fact, it can make it WORSE if they have to handle Ayton's fragile ego by saying they think he's better than he's actually showing on the court. That's something armchair fans say.

DA SHOULD be better than he has shown. To imply that he's purposely not doing it is a joke.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is he sacrificing? Please, let us know. What is he capable of that he isn't doing?

It doesn't matter what so and so says. In fact, it can make it WORSE if they have to handle Ayton's fragile ego by saying they think he's better than he's actually showing on the court. That's something armchair fans say.

DA SHOULD be better than he has shown. To imply that he's purposely not doing it is a joke.
I think this is one of those conversations where you can justify ringing in on either side.

Monty did tell him to focus on defensive responsibilities and not to worry as much about offense. So the narrative about him sacrificing part of his game has some merit.

But what that side is ignoring is why he was told to focus on defense, it was because of his problems catching the ball and finishing against other bigs. We were wasting a lot of possessions on him and instantly became a much better team the minute we convinced him that defense was going to get him paid the big bucks.

Of course, we are past that point in time where all we need from him is strong team defense. And he showed during the playoffs that when he concentrates he really can be elite on both sides of the ball. Now we just need to figure out how to keep him fully focused. He's getting the max regardless.