Signings, Trades, Rumors including Suns and NBA

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And before anyone asks how do the Sun's make it an issue, he didn't get an extension. Also there have been multiple stories about how hard CP3 is on him.

If the Sun's expect him to continue to not always fit with the Alphas around him, then Sabonis is a really good 3rd banana.

CP3 is hard on everybody that’s been his reputation for years.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simmons on his pod talked about Smith for Schroeder again. Maybe it’s because he wants Smith on his team but he said if he and CP are still tight from their OKC days the Suns should do it. I’d still prefer Gordon big time.
I’d prefer Gordon too, but if that deal is too rich for the Suns and we’re gonna lose Smith for nothing (still pissed about this), we could do a lot worse than Schroeder. And have with Payton. Especially a happy Schroeder if he’s tight with CP3 and sees a chance to win a chip together.

This team, as great as they are, could really use another shot creator. Schroeder against second teams might take this bench unit from very good to flat out nasty.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I meant to make note of it but I didn't get a chance. At one point in the game Chris Paul was really animated talking to the bench about something but not in a bad way. He is always teaching.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Ayton hate just never ceases to amaze me here.

Where's this hate at? I'm not seeing any. He's appreciated for what he does but what he does isn't worth the money he expects and that makes it a real possibility he's dealt. Getting Sabonis in return isnt a bad deal.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d prefer Gordon too, but if that deal is too rich for the Suns and we’re gonna lose Smith for nothing (still pissed about this), we could do a lot worse than Schroeder. And have with Payton. Especially a happy Schroeder if he’s tight with CP3 and sees a chance to win a chip together.

This team, as great as they are, could really use another shot creator. Schroeder against second teams might take this bench unit from very good to flat out nasty.

This is where I’m at. Schroeder would be a massive upgrade from what we have now.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Schroeder is a pain in the ass to play against and could come in handy vs Steph, Ja, Jrue and Kyrie.
Yupp. Classic guy you love to have on your team, but hate playing against. And I think with CP3, with the respect that is there from OKC, then he might be a great culture fit. As long as he can be a good conduit on that second unit with Cam Payne back, I like the fit

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I may take up smoking again just so I have something to do when Elfrid is on the floor. I cant watch him.
I'm OK with Shroooder over Payton and maybe Shamet.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Paying Shamet was a mistake last off-season. I still liked the trade for him but why they paid him before seeing how he fit was a mistake. I'd feel more optimistic about a deal at the deadline, and this coming off-season if we didn't have him locked in for 2 more years at a sizeable salary.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Schroeder has a checkered history, to put it mildly, and even as the loudest voice against getting Payton, I still was not keen on bringing in Schroeder, because while Payton is awful, at least Payton wasn't a toxic quitter.

I still don't think Payton is toxic but he does seem to have given up, at the very least he has regressed from being 'very sub par reserve' level bad to 'Is he the worst player in the NBA?' level.

At this point Schroeder may represent the better of 2 (IMO) lousy options. At least Schroeder has some boom potential, while all Payton is giving us is a dumpster fire.

If all Schroeder cost us was Smith... I would be behind it right now. Payton has been a lousy player his whole career but this recent stretch is on another level, he is unusable, a turnover machine who can't hit a shot to save his life and his defensive mindset seems to be to gamble for steals while totally ignoring his assignment.

I would still prefer us just flat out cutting Payton and offering someone from the G-League or some other scrap heap a 10 day "prove it" contract over giving up anything for Schroeder, but... we HAVE to do something, especially if Cam Payne is out for more than another couple games. And even then, we need a serviceable 5th guard regardless.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It probably makes sense to keep Elf just to have his contract as an option to match trade dollars. But after that cut him. Or the other team cuts him.

Schroeder in trade or Dragic if cut might both be options. This trade deadline is too late in the year.

About Schroeder quitting. He was in a series where he was reminded exactly what it was like to play with CP3 and what it was like to play with LeBron. LBJ walked up the court, sometimes never got back and then yelled at Schroeder. It is probably quite hard to stay engaged in that situation. LBJ does not have a good track record in relationships with his point guards.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Schroeder seems to get a lot of hate here for supposedly quitting on the Lakers in the playoffs last year but they also turned down his contract demands. I'm not saying he was worth the money he asked for, he clearly wasn't since no one else ponied up the cash, but I find that a bit more reasonable. He was days away from free agency on a team that let it be known they weren't going to pay him.

I'm not saying his quitting was fine but its bit more reasonable than just loafing because he wasn't happy for some reason. He was a model citizen in OKC and didn't have any issues in Atlanta other than not being the franchise PG that they envisioned.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So. Some thoughts on a Sabonis for Ayton trade. ESPN trade machine says they Suns improve their win total by 10 with a swap of those two. Sabonis can play forward or center. He would give the Suns roster stability through the CP3 era. It would be an IQ upgrade--which James Jones seems to value a lot.

Ayton just has so much more potential. When he is actually working and thinking, he is a better player than Sabonis.

It comes down to this. Which player makes us a better team right now and for the next two years. Our window is now.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Schroeder seems to get a lot of hate here for supposedly quitting on the Lakers in the playoffs last year but they also turned down his contract demands. I'm not saying he was worth the money he asked for, he clearly wasn't since no one else ponied up the cash, but I find that a bit more reasonable. He was days away from free agency on a team that let it be known they weren't going to pay him.

I'm not saying his quitting was fine but its bit more reasonable than just loafing because he wasn't happy for some reason. He was a model citizen in OKC and didn't have any issues in Atlanta other than not being the franchise PG that they envisioned.
Schroeder turned down the Lakers very generous--too generous--contract offer. And then he quit on the team. Not a good way to get paid. I just think playing pg with LeBron is nearly impossible. The only one who managed to do it was Wade and that is because Wade played more like a 2 and LeBron didn't handle the ball that much in those days.

Kylie, Scroeder, Westbrook. When he won with the Lakers it was with a round robin of defensive fillers at pg who could pass a little.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So. Some thoughts on a Sabonis for Ayton trade. ESPN trade machine says they Suns improve their win total by 10 with a swap of those two. Sabonis can play forward or center. He would give the Suns roster stability through the CP3 era. It would be an IQ upgrade--which James Jones seems to value a lot.

Ayton just has so much more potential. When he is actually working and thinking, he is a better player than Sabonis.

It comes down to this. Which player makes us a better team right now and for the next two years. Our window is now.
Ayton easily.

We don't need the additional scoring of Sabonis, but we would very very much miss Ayton's ability to anchor the defense. Also Ayton will improve a lot on offense, he already has been, it's just going more slowly than anyone would like.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the best we can do is a Smith for Schroeder deal by all means do it.

Payton is completely unplayable in a game that matters.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The Phoenix Suns have taken calls from the Denver Nuggets, Detroit Pistons, Washington Wizards, San Antonio Spurs, and Toronto Raptors for young backup Jalen Smith. The Pistons’ offer includes Rodney McGruder who was first included in a failed trade for Denver’s Bol Bol (now with Boston).
-
The Houston Rockets have told teams they have two different offers of a first-round pick for Eric Gordon. The issue is finding a team that won’t send back significant salary as Houston doesn’t want anything major on the books. Houston is also looking for a pick in the teens instead of a late first-rounder for Gordon.
-

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Phoenix Suns have taken calls from the Denver Nuggets, Detroit Pistons, Washington Wizards, San Antonio Spurs, and Toronto Raptors for young backup Jalen Smith. The Pistons’ offer includes Rodney McGruder who was first included in a failed trade for Denver’s Bol Bol (now with Boston).
-
The Houston Rockets have told teams they have two different offers of a first-round pick for Eric Gordon. The issue is finding a team that won’t send back significant salary as Houston doesn’t want anything major on the books. Houston is also looking for a pick in the teens instead of a late first-rounder for Gordon.
-

Note: Find a good home for Stix and include a point guard in return. Thank you.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns would be dumb to hang onto Stix, honestly. They aren't going to be able to resign him so they have zero reason to develop him further. On top of that Monty doesn't seem to trust him much, with Stix best stretch coming while Monty was out during Covid protocols.

I don't care if they only get some future 2nd round picks from him. They can open up a roster slot without disrupting the primary rotation by moving him and that could pay dividends as players are bought out post trade deadline.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns would be dumb to hang onto Stix, honestly. They aren't going to be able to resign him so they have zero reason to develop him further. On top of that Monty doesn't seem to trust him much, with Stix best stretch coming while Monty was out during Covid protocols.

I don't care if they only get some future 2nd round picks from him. They can open up a roster slot without disrupting the primary rotation by moving him and that could pay dividends as players are bought out post trade deadline.
Totally disagree with this. Feels like cutting off your nose to spite yo ur face after we blew the third year pick up with Stix’s contract.

With Ayton’s injury issues and JaVale being somewhat older/always better with shorter stints, it makes very little basketball sense to simply give up a big with Jalen’s talent while making a legit run for a title in exchange for 2nd round picks and a roster spot that could be opened up by waiving Payton or Nader.

We saw how bad big man depth really hurt us in our chance to win a title last year where one injury left the cupboards completely bare behind Ayton. We shouldn’t willingly put ourselves in that position again when we have a young talent like Stix who might pay dividends in a long series against a team as big as like the Bucks.

Definitely not for a couple meaningless 2nd rounders during the pursuit of a title. I’m all for throwing Stix into a trade that can get us some kind of shot creator, but the above paints a scenario of basically just throwing him away because he won’t be here next season. That don’t wash with me.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Schroeder turned down the Lakers very generous--too generous--contract offer. And then he quit on the team. Not a good way to get paid. I just think playing pg with LeBron is nearly impossible. The only one who managed to do it was Wade and that is because Wade played more like a 2 and LeBron didn't handle the ball that much in those days.

Kylie, Scroeder, Westbrook. When he won with the Lakers it was with a round robin of defensive fillers at pg who could pass a little.

Quit on the team?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
-
-

Well well well if it isn’t the San Antonio Spurs. No thanks you can keep Thad Young now.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Totally disagree with this. Feels like cutting off your nose to spite yo ur face after we blew the third year pick up with Stix’s contract.

With Ayton’s injury issues and JaVale being somewhat older/always better with shorter stints, it makes very little basketball sense to simply give up a big with Jalen’s talent while making a legit run for a title in exchange for 2nd round picks and a roster spot that could be opened up by waiving Payton or Nader.

We saw how bad big man depth really hurt us in our chance to win a title last year where one injury left the cupboards completely bare behind Ayton. We shouldn’t willingly put ourselves in that position again when we have a young talent like Stix who might pay dividends in a long series against a team as big as like the Bucks.

Definitely not for a couple meaningless 2nd rounders during the pursuit of a title. I’m all for throwing Stix into a trade that can get us some kind of shot creator, but the above paints a scenario of basically just throwing him away because he won’t be here next season. That don’t wash with me.

If Monty would play Stix more then I'd be more inclined to agree but Monty doesn't seem to trust Stix. The rotation will get tighter come the postseason and I can't see Monty calling his number then at all.

I have virtually no doubt that Monty will have Stix behind everyone else, including Payton, come the postseason, especially if we get Frank back. If we get Dario back then he'd go to him before Stix also, which could happen as well.