Signings, Trades, Rumors including Suns and NBA

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I can't imagine finding a better option than Gordon. He defends both guard spots and is hitting 3's at a very high clip. The two negatives are his contract and his injury history but he gives us the best chance IMO to win a ring this season and probably next. He'd also probably cost us the most.

Also lots of playoff experience. It’s hard to imagine Payne, Gordon, Johnson and one of the rim protectors getting outclassed by another team’s depth. I like the idea of slightly limiting Payne’s responsibilities as well.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine finding a better option than Gordon. He defends both guard spots and is hitting 3's at a very high clip. The two negatives are his contract and his injury history but he gives us the best chance IMO to win a ring this season and probably next. He'd also probably cost us the most.

Cam Payne and Eric Gordon would be an exciting back court off the bench. It also provides lots of versatility.

I'm having trouble seeing James Jones doing it though. Maybe I shouldn't listen to his interviews.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just can't see it--unless he is bought out.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just can't see it--unless he is bought out.
That would be great but I think Gordon being bought out is a real long shot. Even less likely than us being able to make a deal they'd accept unless they just want more losses.

Offer OKC our unprotected first round pick 5 years from now for the first round pick of ours they currently own and then give up our picks in 2022 and 2024 to Houston (plus Saric, Shamet and Smith)- I don't have a clue what any GM is thinking but that seems like it might be enough to get their attention. And if they aren't insistent on Jalen, substitute Nader and Payton instead of Smith.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
That would be great but I think Gordon being bought out is a real long shot. Even less likely than us being able to make a deal they'd accept unless they just want more losses.

Offer OKC our unprotected first round pick 5 years from now for the first round pick of ours they currently own and then give up our picks in 2022 and 2024 to Houston (plus Saric, Shamet and Smith)- I don't have a clue what any GM is thinking but that seems like it might be enough to get their attention. And if they aren't insistent on Jalen, substitute Nader and Payton instead of Smith.

I love the idea of Gordon but are you suggesting giving up three unprotected first rd picks?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the idea of Gordon but are you suggesting giving up three unprotected first rd picks?
This year's pick and the one that goes to OKC would likely have to be unprotected.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
This year's pick and the one that goes to OKC would likely have to be unprotected.

To trade a future unprotected pick the picks before that would have to be unprotected as well. Trading 1sts while we’re contending is nothing but once you get in the 2026/27’ area it could be dangerous. Of course that’s what I’m aiming for if I’m Houston cause they traded all their picks for Westbrook.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

As I read it, it was only two more first round picks because OKC already owns one.

OKC would be swapping the 2022 pick for a first rounder 5 years down the road.

Edit:

I missed the word "unprotected" in your post.

Last edited:

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The guy I'd be targeting is Cory Joseph, seems like a better fit all things considered and his price tag shouldn't be too high.

I'd also love to end up with Batum if the Clippers turn into sellers and he opts for either a buyout or if the Suns can sneak into a deal like they did with Craig last year.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guy I'd be targeting is Cory Joseph, seems like a better fit all things considered and his price tag shouldn't be too high.

I'd also love to end up with Batum if the Clippers turn into sellers and he opts for either a buyout or if the Suns can sneak into a deal like they did with Craig last year.

I really like the idea of adding Cory Joseph at point guard and he can shoot.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trading 1sts while we’re contending is nothing but once you get in the 2026/27’ area it could be dangerous. Of course that’s what I’m aiming for if I’m Houston cause they traded all their picks for Westbrook.
Yes the last pick is a risk for us, maybe even the 2024 pick. But we don't have a treasure chest to work with and if Booker, Ayton, CJ and Bridges all stay healthy we have a good chance of being out of the lottery long after Paul retires. So, in a year when winning is very much in reach, it seems like a reasonable risk IMO since it doesn't impact our depth and shouldn't harm our chemistry.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes the last pick is a risk for us, maybe even the 2024 pick. But we don't have a treasure chest to work with and if Booker, Ayton, CJ and Bridges all stay healthy we have a good chance of being out of the lottery long after Paul retires. So, in a year when winning is very much in reach, it seems like a reasonable risk IMO since it doesn't impact our depth and shouldn't harm our chemistry.
Yup. This run has this year, next and maybe the one after that to really go and get this chip so I’ve got no prob pushing all of ours into pot right now.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Joseph has been drifting around in my mind for a month.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would not give up future picks. You never know when you are going to end up with an injury plagued year, like the Warriors have had, and then you don't even get the pick compensation for the trouble. Unless it is a player that will be a part of the rotation going forward, I would not trade picks.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would not give up future picks. You never know when you are going to end up with an injury plagued year, like the Warriors have had, and then you don't even get the pick compensation for the trouble. Unless it is a player that will be a part of the rotation going forward, I would not trade picks.
I also worry that Gordon’s contract would make extending Cam difficult. Having two guys with $20 million deals on your bench is expensive for any team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also worry that Gordon’s contract would make extending Cam difficult. Having two guys with $20 million deals on your bench is expensive for any team.

As I understand it, Eric Gordon's contract would be a team option in 2023/24 when Cam Johnson's extension would begin.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Certainly that's a possibility but it seems to me the goal, a championship, is worth this kind of risk.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As I understand it, Eric Gordon's contract would be a team option in 2023/24 when Cam Johnson's extension would begin.

Certainly that's a possibility but it seems to me the goal, a championship, is worth this kind of risk.

I just can't talk myself into giving up multiple picks for a little over a year of Eric Gordon. He is a very good player but I don't trust his health enough to view him as someone worthy of going all-in for.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just can't talk myself into giving up multiple picks for a little over a year of Eric Gordon. He is a very good player but I don't trust his health enough to view him as someone worthy of going all-in for.
Yeah, sure, it's definitely a risk (I seem to be saying that a lot these days). But flip it, with our goal being nothing less than a championship how much of a risk is it going forward without adding someone like him? We could find a decent 3rd string guard but that's not getting to make much difference if we lose Booker or Paul at the wrong time. We're deep but even losing Payne for any stretch is going to be a problem for us.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ESPN has mentioned a deal between the Suns and Blazers which would be Saric, Stix, and 2024 1st for Covington. There's also talk of Portland clearing salary to get under the Luxury Tax since they're $3 million over the apron. If they'd take just Saric for Covington, without Stix, it still works in terms of salary matching and sheds $3.4 million from their salary and should clear them of the tax.

I wouldn't want to include a 1st since he'd be a rental but I'd definitely throw in a few 2nds.

I also wonder if we could allow them permission to start monitoring Stix and speaking with his agent. If we dealt him there then they'd be limited in what they could sign him for but if we kept him, they'd be clear to sign him for whatever they want and could potentially have a relationship with his agent worked out in advance. I'm not sure how that would go. Clearly we could pass along info as if we'd be trading him so they could see his medical info and such but we decide not to include him strictly to allow them the chance the sign him this offseason.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't get the Covington love. When I watch him I can't help wonder what the heck happened to him, he seems a shadow of the player I watched regularly in Philadelphia. If he hasn't lost at least a half step and a little lift, the rest of the league has gotten faster and gained some hops.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ESPN has mentioned a deal between the Suns and Blazers which would be Saric, Stix, and 2024 1st for Covington. There's also talk of Portland clearing salary to get under the Luxury Tax since they're $3 million over the apron. If they'd take just Saric for Covington, without Stix, it still works in terms of salary matching and sheds $3.4 million from their salary and should clear them of the tax.

I wouldn't want to include a 1st since he'd be a rental but I'd definitely throw in a few 2nds.

I also wonder if we could allow them permission to start monitoring Stix and speaking with his agent. If we dealt him there then they'd be limited in what they could sign him for but if we kept him, they'd be clear to sign him for whatever they want and could potentially have a relationship with his agent worked out in advance. I'm not sure how that would go. Clearly we could pass along info as if we'd be trading him so they could see his medical info and such but we decide not to include him strictly to allow them the chance the sign him this offseason.

It depends on how the Trail Blazers view Saric and what other teams offer. Saric has over $9 million left on his contract for next season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Btw, if the Suns did that trade for Covington, I want another point guard/shooter on the roster.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose