Signings, Trades, Rumors including Suns and NBA

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was Kidd, he broke his ankle late in the year, KJ came back and we knocked off the defending champion Spurs in the first round.

KJ retired at 31 years old. That guy was absolutely incredible, his speed, passing and ability to rapidly get his shot up would make him a terror in today's NBA.

Kevin Johnson would get brutally fouled when he drove the ball to the basket often with no calls from the referees.

Agree, he would be even better in today's NBA.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
It is looking like Dragic will be bought out. Toronto will use his salary as filler in a trade but if they can't he will be a free agent. He CANNOT go back to Miami until summer because Miami traded him away last summer and teams cannot sign a player they trade until a year after the trade.

So, if you are Goran what would you do in this little interval in your career? Take a shot at a ring. That's what you would do.

The big question is whether he has anything left in the tank.

That is correct. Dallas tried to trade for him, but Toronto wanted too much. Dallas decided to wait for him to be bought out.
He has enough left in the tank to do what the Suns need him to do. I don't think he has enough to do what Dallas needs him to do. He would essentially be a Shamet and Payton replacement. I don't think he moves past Payne in the rotation at this point of his career. Barring injuries, he might get 10-15 minutes a game.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was terrible in his brief playing time with Toronto, but knowing what I do about Goran and knowing that he has spent his "personal time" away from the Raptors hanging out at the Miami facilities and attending Heat games... it makes me question if Goran's awful performance had more to do with his own dissatisfaction with his role as opposed to a decline in his ability.

I don't trust him. This is a guy who made us sign his garbage brother, who had no business in the NBA in the first place, then complained that we didn't put the charity case on the floor often enough. Then said he wanted out because he didn't like his role........ and the only places he was willing to accept a trade to was Miami, New York or LA... unless we traded Thomas to appease him... which we did, and he then changed his mind and wanted out regardless.

I suspect he is either washed up or a cancer who will not accept a role where he isn't the focal point.

If we somehow end up with him, I will hope for the best. Maybe he just hated the idea of playing in Canada and sucked for the Raptors because he was a sad Panda and he will thrive here because he is "home". But I don't buy that kind of sob story, I have also seen enough of Goran to know that if he isn't in his safe space then he is a **** player.
Several articles indicated that Toronto only wanted him in trade because of his salary, it was the other players in the trade that they really wanted. They hoped to recoup a little value for him by trading him. They were only playing him to gin up a little trade value to move him on. Both parties eventually agreed that there was no point in doing that. Everyone in the league already knows what he can do already. All they were doing was risking injury. So both parties made the agreement to let Goran return home to Miami while they tried to get value for him. Reportedly everything is amicable between Goran and Toronto.

That said. Toronto is not going to be able to trade him unless they find some sort of blockbuster deal that demands his salary. Miami cannot sign him if he is bought out because of trade restrictions. Dallas is waiting for the buyout. However, Goran has a chance to sign on with the Suns and get a ring run.

I think we have the upper hand if we want him. There are some deals that make too much sense.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
During the Spurs game James Jones reiterated much what he said on the Arizona Sports interview that he was content with the Suns roster. He didn't sound like a GM wanting to make any changes and that Bismack Biyombo was the addition he wanted to make.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
During the Spurs game James Jones reiterated much what he said on the Arizona Sports interview that he was content with the Suns roster. He didn't sound like a GM wanting to make any changes and that Bismack Biyombo was the addition he wanted to make.
Someone pointed out he said the same thing last season before making moves. However, I agree sounds like he is content. I still disagree 100%.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I'm sure he mostly feels that way. But you don't go public and announce that you have needs and are going to address them, it's likely to drive up the cost of acquisition and cause distress in the locker room for players thinking they may be on the way out.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone pointed out he said the same thing last season before making moves. However, I agree sounds like he is content. I still disagree 100%.

Of course Torrey Craig was the only significant addition during the season last year as much as I wanted another big man for depth.

I do think the Suns need to tweak the roster, nothing major, if they can't get everyone healthy.

Another ball handler may be their biggest need.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I'm sure he mostly feels that way. But you don't go public and announce that you have needs and are going to address them, it's likely to drive up the cost of acquisition and cause distress in the locker room for players thinking they may be on the way out.

I understand James Jones wouldn't say anything about it in public but he seemed to send a strong message he wouldn't be making changes.

If he doesn't do anything else I hope he adds another ball handler on a two-way contract.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I understand James Jones wouldn't say anything about it in public but he seemed to send a strong message he wouldn't be making changes.

If he doesn't do anything else I hope he adds another ball handler on a two-way contract.
I don't expect any big changes, just an addition. BTW. Anyone hear anything about Cam Payne's injury? That is the one that most concerns me.

If Cam is hurt worse than we know, it would be in their interest to keep it quiet until after the deadline.
If Goran gets bought out, the Suns make the most sense for him. We have the exception we can use and he gets a shot a ring. And he would get plenty of PT.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't expect any big changes, just an addition. BTW. Anyone hear anything about Cam Payne's injury? That is the one that most concerns me.

If Cam is hurt worse than we know, it would be in their interest to keep it quiet until after the deadline.
If Goran gets bought out, the Suns make the most sense for him. We have the exception we can use and he gets a shot a ring. And he would get plenty of PT.
I’m betting Cam is out at least until right after the All-Star break.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I haven't heard anything new about the injury (right wrist sprain) to Cam Payne other than he was expected to be out about 2 weeks.

Video shows him actively running and working out but of course this does not involve the wrist.

Even if Payne returns healthy, I think the Suns could use another point guard / distributor that can shoot.

If I were going to look for a point guard, I would look at buyouts or players that are on 1 year minimum type contracts from a team not looking at the playoffs. I've always liked Raul Neto who plays for the Wizards. He is on a minimum type deal.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I haven't heard anything new about the injury (right wrist sprain) to Cam Payne other than he was expected to be out about 2 weeks.

Video shows him actively running and working out but of course this does not involve the wrist.

Even if Payne returns healthy, I think the Suns could use another point guard / distributor that can shoot.

If I were going to look for a point guard, I would look at buyouts or players that are on 1 year minimum type contracts from a team not looking at the playoffs. I've always liked Raul Neto who plays for the Wizards. He is on a minimum type deal.
I am thinking it may be more of a deal like this. Someone we are not mentioning currently or is obvious. Some of these guys mentioned by national news media have huge contracts, and I cannot see them working from that standpoint alone. I think James Jones is looking to add without removing what we have now, if I had to interpret what he is saying. If we had to put someone on an injury exception, etc, I can see him making a move.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am thinking it may be more of a deal like this. Someone we are not mentioning currently or is obvious. Some of these guys mentioned by national news media have huge contracts, and I cannot see them working from that standpoint alone. I think James Jones is looking to add without removing what we have now, if I had to interpret what he is saying. If we had to put someone on an injury exception, etc, I can see him making a move.

The problem with Disabled Player Exceptions they are often difficult to obtain and take time to be approved.

The Nuggets just got one for Michael Porter Jr. but I'm guessing it took awhile. If the Suns wanted a roster spot it's probably easier to do a trade or waive a player on a minimum contract.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The problem with Disabled Player Exceptions they are often difficult to obtain and take time to be approved.

The Nuggets just got one for Michael Porter Jr. but I'm guessing it took awhile. If the Suns wanted a roster spot it's probably easier to do a trade or waive a player on a minimum contract.

So I am guessing Elfrid Payton, except he fills a role as a defensive guard presence. Not sure Monty wants to get rid of Saric or Frank at this point. I mean we keep "cutting" Frank and he's been a good soldier and we realize he does fit in our culture. Plus he was tantalizingly coming into his own as a player. Saric I think Monty is not willing to get rid of since he's a good 4/5 smaller ball option on defense like Ish the other night, but with way better scoring. Everyone is looking at numbers and how that makes trades work. We all have to look at the culture JJ is trying to build in PHX. I really think it will be limited if anything happens at all.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I am guessing Elfrid Payton, except he fills a role as a defensive guard presence. Not sure Monty wants to get rid of Saric or Frank at this point. I mean we keep "cutting" Frank and he's been a good soldier and we realize he does fit in our culture. Plus he was tantalizingly coming into his own as a player. Saric I think Monty is not willing to get rid of since he's a good 4/5 smaller ball option on defense like Ish the other night, but with way better scoring. Everyone is looking at numbers and how that makes trades work. We all have to look at the culture JJ is trying to build in PHX. I really think it will be limited if anything happens at all.

Also I think a lot depends if a player is healthy enough to play this season, example Abdel Nader, or if the Suns want to lose the second year of Saric's $9,240,000 contract.

Waiving a player on an expiring contract is not a bad thing because he will still get paid his full salary and might sign with another team for additional money.

The thing is, it's not wise to mess with the culture as you mention. The Suns team is built sort of like family.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
If the Suns get someone like Dragic, Payton is gone. If they want someone on another position, my guess is that Nader would be the one to go. One of Kaminsky and Saric could be waived too if need be. I am also not sure if they think they can sign Stix this summer, but I am assuming he will get more money elsewhere, so if he is as good as gone, he can be waived as well.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns get someone like Dragic, Payton is gone. If they want someone on another position, my guess is that Nader would be the one to go. One of Kaminsky and Saric could be waived too if need be. I am also not sure if they think they can sign Stix this summer, but I am assuming he will get more money elsewhere, so if he is as good as gone, he can be waived as well.

I don't think the Suns would waive Frank Kaminsky. Too much history and chemistry there.

Also I think it is unlikely Saric would be waived because his contract is guaranteed next season.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think the Suns would waive Frank Kaminsky. Too much history and chemistry there.

Also I think it is unlikely Saric would be waived because his contract is guaranteed next season.
Oh, they absolutely would if someone better was available.

But there is no need to when guys like Nader, and Payton are on the team and easily cut.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree, unless TJ gets a new job I think Frank is pretty safe.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, they absolutely would if someone better was available.

But there is no need to when guys like Nader, and Payton are on the team and easily cut.

Saric is owed $9,240,000 next season so it would be unlikely they would waive him. He is more likely to be traded if the Suns wanted to move his contract and they might have to attach a draft pick to do it.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Well considering that this year’s backup backcourt could be last year’s backup frontcourt he better be working the phones considering that winning a championship is the goal. What he says publicly doesn’t mean anything given his nature.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson