Signings, Trades, Rumors including Suns and NBA

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Really interesting perspective on adding Josh Hart. I actually like this idea. Another tough defender who will compete on that end of the floor. Great rebounder for his size. Can play both 2 guard and small forward in certain lineups. He’d be an awesome 8th man off the bench. Plus, he’s got a rapport with Mikal being college teammates. The contract would be manageable as he’s on an expiring deal. I think the Suns should take a look.
i read an article listing him earlier today and thought this might be a great low-key trade that wouldn't break the future first round pick bank like Gordon.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Really interesting perspective on adding Josh Hart. I actually like this idea. Another tough defender who will compete on that end of the floor. Great rebounder for his size. Can play both 2 guard and small forward in certain lineups. He’d be an awesome 8th man off the bench. Plus, he’s got a rapport with Mikal being college teammates. The contract would be manageable as he’s on an expiring deal. I think the Suns should take a look.
Depends on what he costs. Always liked hart.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Depends on what he costs. Always liked hart.
He’s on an expiring contract. And in the article they made a good point. Zion lives in the paint. But with Steven Adams and now Valanciunas, the paint will be clogged for him. Having Dario helps on that front. It makes sense. Shamet has been a disappointment and I think Hart would bring more to the table.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
He’s on an expiring contract. And in the article they made a good point. Zion lives in the paint. But with Steven Adams and now Valanciunas, the paint will be clogged for him. Having Dario helps on that front. It makes sense. Shamet has been a disappointment and I think Hart would bring more to the table.
Not sure if you're referring to Josh Hart, but he just signed an extension this offseason: https://www.nba.com/news/pelicans-sign-josh-hart-to-3-year-contract-extension

I like Hart as a player but I'm not sure he adds anything that Phoenix doesn't have. I guess it never hurts to add wing depth but another shot creator/ball handler in the backcourt still feels like a bigger hole.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The more I look into this the less I am interested. I am migrating from 'having a hard time talking myself into it' to a 'hard pass'.

The quality of looks he’d get here would be higher %. Idk what his catch & shoot metrics are but he’d be doing mostly that. He can create a little bit but he’s best as a gunner.

The Suns had the opportunity to trade for Rashard Lewis or Mike Miller at the 07’ deadline and didn’t want to give up the Atlanta pick. It’s time to go all in even if it’s not Gordon.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Arizona Sports today James Jones doubles down on liking the current roster and not looking to make changes. Actually he said as much during an in-game interview on January 30th during a Spurs game so that's three times I've heard it.

So don't hold your breath regarding a trade although he said he does talk with other teams all the time.

BY JAKE ANDERSON Arizona Sports:

“Nope, it doesn’t,” James said when asked if Shamet’s injury changed his strategy. “I’ve said it and I’ll say it again, I like my team and where we are. I’m looking forward to us trying to improve internally.

“We’re a really good team. We’re the best team in the NBA and that’s for a reason. Our guys are playing well and we’ve done it despite injuries and inconsistent lineups. So I think we’ll be focused on making sure we continue to progress as we look at the next 30 games.”

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Arizona Sports today James Jones doubles down on liking the current roster and not looking to make changes. Actually he said as much during an in-game interview on January 30th during a Spurs game so that's three times I've heard it.

So don't hold your breath regarding a trade although he said he does talk with other teams all the time.

“Nope, it doesn’t,” James said when asked if Shamet’s injury changed his strategy. “I’ve said it and I’ll say it again, I like my team and where we are. I’m looking forward to us trying to improve internally.

“We’re a really good team. We’re the best team in the NBA and that’s for a reason. Our guys are playing well and we’ve done it despite injuries and inconsistent lineups. So I think we’ll be focused on making sure we continue to progress as we look at the next 30 games.”

He sounds serious this time. I hope someone makes an offer he can’t refuse. I doubt it though.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He sounds serious this time. I hope someone makes an offer he can’t refuse. I doubt it though.

I've heard James Jones say the same thing three times now.

The good thing he is actively talking with other teams so if something fits, he may listen. I'm not expecting anything major though if something does happen.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It would be a huge mistake to not go all in this year.
Yeah. Kinda feels like sarver when he first bought the team. Walked into luxury and didn’t realize how close he was and that it wasn’t every season you had the chance to compete for a championship. Similarly James jones came in and had immediate success as a gm. Hope he’s not also thinking “this is easy, we’ll have so many chances to win, no need to push all my chips into the middle right now.”

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am in agreement that this year represents a unique opportunity, I just don't want us to blow our wad on the wrong guy or do a grotesque overpay for something that there is a real chance to be a side-grade.

Eric Gordon seems like a real risky bet to me. He misses 30-40 games annually, he is coming off 2 years where he basically sucked. If we could get him for Shamet, Dario and a heavily protected pick... I could talk myself into it, but some of the ideas that have us tossing over multiple firsts that won't convey for years... that to me a serious overpay for a dude with a fat contract and injury red flags galore. I'd rather have Shamet than Eric Gordon with a brace on his knee in street clothes.

Personally, I don't think you should tinker with a team that is this far out in front, especially given how many guys we're missing that should return over the next month. We're going to be a primo destination for buy out players, we're probably going to have our pick of the best guard available post trade deadline, they will know they have a real shot at a title and potentially 20+ minutes per game to play.

Unless a we get a deal that is clearly a golden opportunity, I think we should wait it out.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am in agreement that this year represents a unique opportunity, I just don't want us to blow our wad on the wrong guy or do a grotesque overpay for something that there is a real chance to be a side-grade.

Eric Gordon seems like a real risky bet to me. He misses 30-40 games annually, he is coming off 2 years where he basically sucked. If we could get him for Shamet, Dario and a heavily protected pick... I could talk myself into it, but some of the ideas that have us tossing over multiple firsts that won't convey for years... that to me a serious overpay for a dude with a fat contract and injury red flags galore. I'd rather have Shamet than Eric Gordon with a brace on his knee in street clothes.

Personally, I don't think you should tinker with a team that is this far out in front, especially given how many guys we're missing that should return over the next month. We're going to be a primo destination for buy out players, we're probably going to have our pick of the best guard available post trade deadline, they will know they have a real shot at a title and potentially 20+ minutes per game to play.

Unless a we get a deal that is clearly a golden opportunity, I think we should wait it out.
My definition of that is giving up a major piece to get said player. What rotational players are they talking about that are untouchable to get this guy? By the way I am not saying we should get him but if all they give up is rotation guys and throw in a pick so we can get a title? It's worth it. We are talking about franchise that doesn't have a title. I wouldn't trade the D-backs run for anything regardless of the aftermath.

This is it. This is your window. IMO you do everything you can to maximize your chances without blowing up the "core". If we don't win what do you think is going to happen? Everybody is going to have hindsight and say well...if they only shored this up....they would have had a chance. I agree with @Ouchie-Z-Clown. You put all your chips in the middle of the table.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Press conference in the near future.

"I thought you said you liked the roster the way it is?"

"I will never pass up the chance to add quality depth--especially in a year when we expect to compete for a title. If we can add quality depth without touching our regular rotation, we will do it every time. That is why we signed ____________________________."

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a HUGE wrinkle in Eric Gordon's contract.

The final year, 2023-24 is non-guaranteed.

unless.

The team wins a title this year. Then it becomes fully guaranteed.

From what I've read it's specifically tied to the Rockets winning a championship during Gordon's contract there which means it shouldn't transfer by trade (I think). I was worried to see it presented this way again but the author of this piece references the guy who wrote the earlier Bright Side article that first mentioned the title connection so who knows.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He is being crystal clear we are going to hold this together with tape and gum in the back court.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is being crystal clear we are going to hold this together with tape and gum in the back court.
If CP3 is run down or injured come end of season, Jones is making himself the number one target to blame.

Cant keep playing that guy 39 minutes per game. This is reminding me of what Pringles did to Kobe pre-Achilles year at the end of the season.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Honestly I am not nearly as worried about it as a lot of you seem to be.

Cam Payne, Booker and Paul is just fine for our playoff guard rotation. It worked last year and paul was out half the time.

Would it be nice to add another guy better than Payton - yes. Do I think we need to to win the title, no.

I think the Dragic buyout deal is actually very likely - and it's great in that there is no salary implications beyond this year, and will not cost any draft picks.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a HUGE wrinkle in Eric Gordon's contract.

The final year, 2023-24 is non-guaranteed.

unless.

The team wins a title this year. Then it becomes fully guaranteed.

That was tied to the Rockets. Not sure if that is transferable. If it is? That changes everything. I wouldn't do the deal unless he waives that clause. If it's non-transferable that is a different story.

Cam Payne, Booker and Paul is just fine for our playoff guard rotation. It worked last year and paul was out half the time.

Would it be nice to add another guy better than Payton - yes. Do I think we need to to win the title, no.

I think the Dragic buyout deal is actually very likely - and it's great in that there is no salary implications beyond this year, and will not cost any draft picks.
He is a year older. The Suns clutch stats fall off a cliff without CP3 in there. That has been huge so many games this season. It will be huge in the playoffs. Plus, Cam isn't playing the same as he did last year. Booker under pressure to do everything struggles when he presses too much. Could we scrape by? It's possible but what kind of game plan is that? Hey we could solidify the rotation, but I am pretty sure we can just get by?!?!!?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don’t understand why people think Dragic is going to come back to a team he thinks did him rotten dirty when he was here last.

Also, Cam Payne hasn’t been near as good this year as he was last year and is out for an undetermined period of time. So, I think Gordon is a great get now because a) he can be an offensive player who gets his own shot and that might give CP3 more than four minutes rest per half of the second unit is cooking. I also think that once Payne comes back, we can load manage CP3 a little and still win some games if we’re looking at a Payne/Gordon/Booker back-court here and there down the stretch to try and keep CP3 fresh.

We can’t forget that CP3 is relatively fragile and 36 years old. Twice in the playoffs his body broke down or he just flat got worn down in the Finals. Cant let that happen again.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don’t understand why people think Dragic is going to come back to a team he thinks did him rotten dirty when he was here last.

Also, Cam Payne hasn’t been near as good this year as he was last year and is out for an undetermined period of time. So, I think Gordon is a great get now because a) he can be an offensive player who gets his own shot and that might give CP3 more than four minutes rest per half of the second unit is cooking. I also think that once Payne comes back, we can load manage CP3 a little and still win some games if we’re looking at a Payne/Gordon/Booker back-court here and there down the stretch to try and keep CP3 fresh.

We can’t forget that CP3 is relatively fragile and 36 years old. Twice in the playoffs his body broke down or he just flat got worn down in the Finals. Cant let that happen again.
One caveat about Cam is that in the last few weeks before his injury, he had finally started performing up to what he was doing last year. That's why it was pretty devastating for him to go out when he did.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If anything the cp3 and cp15 issue is part of a substitution pattern. I like cp15 coming in for cp3, what i dont like is another 2-3 other guys coming in at the same time as well. Seems like it could be staggered a bit by another minute. Cp15 was coming back to his play from last year before the injury. I think cp15 playing with the starters for a couple of minutes could help him ease into the game without all the pressure of him having to be the guy for those minutes when the starters all go out.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Cam Payne was starting to play pretty good the last few games before he got hurt.

Dragic would come back to win the Chip - and because we have half the MLE we can give him.

As far as CP3 getting hurt - if that happens we aren't winning the title, it's as simple as that. There is no backup we are capable of getting that is going be close to him with the trade chips we have to offer.