Signings, Trades, Rumors including Suns and NBA

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
That would be something- finish your career where you started it, and get a championship in the process. :)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm only speculating but if the Raptors are interested in buying out Dragic, I don't see why his agent can't shop around for a new home. It's not a trade so if Dragic is bought out he can go anywhere he wants. Dragic might accept less in a buyout because the Suns can offer him part of the MLE.

IMO, it's not much different than when Tim Thomas was bought out and came to Phoenix. Everyone new it was going to happen.
It's not tampering if the team gives him permission for his agent to shop. There is no rule against "losing" a trade, so the Suns could trade something for nothing, as long as it fits without the salary rules. In fact, trading for "future considerations" has been done many times. I just don't see any rule it violates. The Suns would take a significant risk though. They could trade away assets for a Dragic buyout and then he could change his mind and go play for another team.

Kinda like the Carlos Boozer story.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not tampering if the team gives him permission for his agent to shop. There is no rule against "losing" a trade, so the Suns could trade something for nothing, as long as it fits without the salary rules. In fact, trading for "future considerations" has been done many times. I just don't see any rule it violates. The Suns would take a significant risk though. They could trade away assets for a Dragic buyout and then he could change his mind and go play for another team.

Kinda like the Carlos Boozer story.

I'm not sure it works that way anymore in a trade. Trades have to be near to matching unless a team can absorb a contract. Dragic has a $19,440,000 expiring contract so that is why there is not much of a trade market.

If Dragic decided to come to the Suns, a buyout would be the best option unless Phoenix wanted to bundle a bunch of contracts. I doubt the Raptors would want want the Suns are offering unless picks were included.

For me going after Dragic is a reach unless it's a buyout. I'd prefer other players if the Suns wanted to do a trade.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind getting a defensive wing, someone with length who can go out on perimeter and try to disrupt and harass Steph all series long. Someone who can be had for a second round pick and is a FA at the end of the year.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I’m a Dragic fan but the way he’s been acting might turn off Jones/Monty. As far as needle-moving trades go it’s Gordon or bust. Torrey Craig and JaMychal Green aren’t helping.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Dragic gets bought out I would be shocked if he ended up anywhere but Miami. He's been working out with the Heat and attending their games.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
If Dragic gets bought out I would be shocked if he ended up anywhere but Miami. He's been working out with the Heat and attending their games.
He lives and Miami, and Toronto has given him permission to be away from the team. I've been following this saga since the offseason since I follow a lot of Dallas stuff and they've been after him for two years now. There is nothing weird with that situation. He also cannot sign with the Heat until the end of the season since he was traded from Miami this season. I'd still bet on Dallas to get him, but at his age, he might want to play for the ring more than he wants to reunite with Luka and Igor.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I’m a Dragic fan but the way he’s been acting might turn off Jones/Monty. As far as needle-moving trades go it’s Gordon or bust. Torrey Craig and JaMychal Green aren’t helping.
He hasn't been acting in any kind of a way that would turn off anyone. Raptors have signed off on anything and everything he's been doing. Rebuilding team has no use for him. They were hoping Dallas would give them a pick along with some players but Dallas decided to wait for the buyout.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Neither of those guys move the needle on this team when it’s healthy. Maybe one could help with the depth to get thru the season with injuries, but we’ve already got a lot of depth.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

While I wouldn't argue with adding Dragic or Gordon, quality depth is underrated.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I wouldn't argue with adding Dragic or Gordon, quality depth is underrated.
By whom?

The questions are, how do you get a quality player and once you get him, how do you keep him happy with zero minutes once all the missing players return?

I think, if anything, we're suffering (a little) due to a lack of G League and/or international scouting. That's where other teams are filling out their rosters when they are depleted by injury and Covid. And we've seen some of them come in and play like true NBA players. Which, I guess could mean it's a lack of scouting or development coaching.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By whom?

The questions are, how do you get a quality player and once you get him, how do you keep him happy with zero minutes once all the missing players return?

I think, if anything, we're suffering (a little) due to a lack of G League and/or international scouting. That's where other teams are filling out their rosters when they are depleted by injury and Covid. And we've seen some of them come in and play like true NBA players. Which, I guess could mean it's a lack of scouting or development coaching.

I don't think the Suns need to add a name player like Goran Dragic or Eric Gordon to win it all.

IMO, there are some lesser known players that could help the Suns almost as much. That's why I said quality depth is underrated. The Suns don't need to make a major move.

I'm not adverse to the Suns adding a buyout or making a trade that fits.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i know we were down a few players tonight but i didn't like that we had to play Ish and Elf in the 4th. Ish can contribute something but i wouldn't want him seeing much time in the playoffs. Nader either. And Saric and Kaminsky will likely be out of shape if they make it back this season. And, of course, Shamet is struggling.

we need one more solid rotation guy

perhaps Monty needed a longer look at Ish and Elf tonight, or someone else to get a look at them

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i know we were down a few players tonight but i didn't like that we had to play Ish and Elf in the 4th. Ish can contribute something but i wouldn't want him seeing much time in the playoffs. Nader either. And Saric and Kaminsky will likely be out of shape if they make it back this season. And, of course, Shamet is struggling.

perhaps Monty needed a longer look at Ish and Elf tonight, or someone else to get a look at them
Well, to be fair we're down more than a few. They may not all be stars or even recent rotation players but they take up spots on the roster - Nadir, Crowder, Ayton, Payne, Kaminsky and Saric is a lot to make up for. And for some reason, we're not playing Smith some nights despite the short bench.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
By whom?

He is playing half a season for a chance at a championship. If he is good enough, he will get minutes. On this team, Goran would be getting 15 minutes a game, maybe more if he plays well. After the season, let him go where he wants. He will be happy with that.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Ish did well tonight at small ball center.
EVERY time I've seen him play I've wanted to see more. There's not many players that do that to me that aren't already playing decent mins. Something about him?
I want to see more Ish especially since we are LOADED with big men when healthy.
If anything he's 5 HARD fouls on Janis if the Bucks even make the playoffs.
Who knows maybe Ish Wainright is Janises Kryptonite.
I know nothing about him other than what I've learned on the forums and his play.
We could do worse. And have.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is playing half a season for a chance at a championship. If he is good enough, he will get minutes. On this team, Goran would be getting 15 minutes a game, maybe more if he plays well. After the season, let him go where he wants. He will be happy with that.

I am not thrilled about the Dragic idea, but I do think that if we could get a quality combo guard there are plenty of minutes available to them. Payton is totally worthless, Shamet struggles more often than not and is now injured, Cam Payne is absolutely deserving of the #2 PG slot but there are nights where he could use a leash and, most importantly, I would like to see Paul playing closer to 30 minutes per game than 40.

Take every minute Payton plays, 30-40% of what Shamet plays, be able to sit Cam Payne when he starts playing a bit too wild, get Paul down to about 30 minutes per game... I bet that adds up to 20+ minutes for a worthy player.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am not thrilled about the Dragic idea, but I do think that if we could get a quality combo guard there are plenty of minutes available to them. Payton is totally worthless, Shamet struggles more often than not and is now injured, Cam Payne is absolutely deserving of the #2 PG slot but there are nights where he could use a leash and, most importantly, I would like to see Paul playing closer to 30 minutes per game than 40.

Take every minute Payton plays, 30-40% of what Shamet plays, be able to sit Cam Payne when he starts playing a bit too wild, get Paul down to about 30 minutes per game... I bet that adds up to 20+ minutes for a worthy player.
Man it shouldn't be that hard to find a veteran journeyman PG willing to play for a team that is one man away from the promised land.
Maybe KJ could come back again. lol

KJ is Kevin Johnston for you younger folks. He once came back and played when Kidd or Nash went down cant remember.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man it shouldn't be that hard to find a veteran journeyman PG willing to play for a team that is one man away from the promised land.
Maybe KJ could come back again. lol

I loved KJ so much when I was a kid, dude was a couple popped hamstrings away from being an all-time great, a couple other things popped from spending some time in the clink.

But yeah, there has to be a quality PG out there somewhere. Hopefully that will be our top target when guys get bought out after the trade deadline.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
KJ is Kevin Johnston for you younger folks. He once came back and played when Kidd or Nash went down cant remember.

It was Kidd, he broke his ankle late in the year, KJ came back and we knocked off the defending champion Spurs in the first round.

KJ retired at 31 years old. That guy was absolutely incredible, his speed, passing and ability to rapidly get his shot up would make him a terror in today's NBA.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It was Kidd, he broke his ankle late in the year, KJ came back and we knocked off the defending champion Spurs in the first round.

KJ retired at 31 years old. That guy was absolutely incredible, his speed, passing and ability to rapidly get his shot up would make him a terror in today's NBA.
KJ imo is one of the top 5 real PGs of all time.
He wasn't flashy but he got it done.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is looking like Dragic will be bought out. Toronto will use his salary as filler in a trade but if they can't he will be a free agent. He CANNOT go back to Miami until summer because Miami traded him away last summer and teams cannot sign a player they trade until a year after the trade.

So, if you are Goran what would you do in this little interval in your career? Take a shot at a ring. That's what you would do.

The big question is whether he has anything left in the tank.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is looking like Dragic will be bought out. Toronto will use his salary as filler in a trade but if they can't he will be a free agent. He CANNOT go back to Miami until summer because Miami traded him away last summer and teams cannot sign a player they trade until a year after the trade.

So, if you are Goran what would you do in this little interval in your career? Take a shot at a ring. That's what you would do.

The big question is whether he has anything left in the tank.

He was terrible in his brief playing time with Toronto, but knowing what I do about Goran and knowing that he has spent his "personal time" away from the Raptors hanging out at the Miami facilities and attending Heat games... it makes me question if Goran's awful performance had more to do with his own dissatisfaction with his role as opposed to a decline in his ability.

I don't trust him. This is a guy who made us sign his garbage brother, who had no business in the NBA in the first place, then complained that we didn't put the charity case on the floor often enough. Then said he wanted out because he didn't like his role........ and the only places he was willing to accept a trade to was Miami, New York or LA... unless we traded Thomas to appease him... which we did, and he then changed his mind and wanted out regardless.

I suspect he is either washed up or a cancer who will not accept a role where he isn't the focal point.

If we somehow end up with him, I will hope for the best. Maybe he just hated the idea of playing in Canada and sucked for the Raptors because he was a sad Panda and he will thrive here because he is "home". But I don't buy that kind of sob story, I have also seen enough of Goran to know that if he isn't in his safe space then he is a **** player.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson