SI article on Josh Rosen and him being traded

Dante

All Star
Reaction score
https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/29/josh-rosen-cardinals-dolphins-trade-quotes-mmqb

Here are some interesting snippets from the article itself:

While agency staffers in the next room celebrated the selection of other clients with wine and pulls of Tito’s vodka, Williams called Rosen from his office with an update: The Cardinals might actually keep you. “If that’s their position,” Rosen told him, “then I’ll just beat him out and Kyler can be the backup.” Williams’ reply: “They don’t want that, and they know they don’t want that. We’re getting a trade done.”

Rosen says: “I don’t think you can go back to any team I ever played on and find someone who will say I was a bad teammate. All my teammates throughout my entire career in football had my back. I loved them, they loved me. I’ve never been uncoachable. I’ve been tough to coach because I’m hypercompetitive and always get to the bottom of things. I can be a prickly personality at times, but none of it’s ever malicious. I don’t think anyone who really knows me on a deep level thinks I’m a bad guy. I like to think I’m a good guy.”

“I absolutely would have competed if they kept me, but I would’ve been kind of bummed about it because I knew I wouldn’t get a fair shake,” Rosen says. “A GM’s not going to draft a quarterback and draft another one the next year, higher, and then play the first one. It’s admitting you made two mistakes. It just wouldn’t happen. I wouldn’t hesitate to compete, but I would know pre-emptively I wouldn’t get a shot even if I won the competition.”

Trade talks cooled. On the phone with Rosen, Williams told him it looked like a deal would have to wait another day—if one were coming at all. “I’m fine,” Rosen said on the other end of the line. “It’s not like I’m some child soldier in Darfur. I’ve had it pretty good. I think it’s time I had some legitimate adversity handed to me.”

“I try to put everything into perspective,” Rosen tells The MMQB. “If I’m bummed I’m getting traded by the Arizona Cardinals, I try to think I’m living in an awesome condo in the middle of Scottsdale. I’m on a team, I have food on my table, a good family. Life could be a lot worse, so you count your blessings and try to put good energy out into the world.”

It’s Groundhog Day for Josh Rosen: He’s a rookie again, with the benefit of experience. Looking back, he saw some opportunities to mentor other players in Arizona that he let slip. He wants to fix that. “There are little moments where you can step up and be a leader and help a guy,” he says.

“I think some people take this chance for granted and think it will last forever,” Rosen continues. “I got a little newsflash after Year One: You’ve really got to give it absolutely everything you’ve got every day, because this game is fleeting.”

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
Really hope Rosen does well in Miami. I have no issue with going in a different direction but he’s handled everything about as well as you could possibly expect.

JD Robertson

Registered
Reaction score
Pure class and I wish him well. Woke my wife up last year when I saw we drafted him as he was the one I wanted. I will now root for Kyler to succeed and take us to the top of the mountain.

BLRIGHT

Reaction score
What I don't really understand -- but I hope the media somehow uncovers -- is why they didn't put Rosen on the market earlier. Based on everything they've said, it doesn't appear that they were looking to trade out of No. 1, and they could have and should have recognized much earlier that that wasn't going to happen long before the draft. So if they were always going to take Murray, why didn't they explore the trade? What was to be gained? When Keim said that Rosen "is the QB for now," wasn't he immediately depressing Rosen's trade value? Nothing makes sense here regardless of how you feel about keeping/dumping Rosen.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Unprecedented jerking around of a player. I now love Kyler Murray, but the fact that Rosen offered to stay in town and try to beat out Murray and the Cards didn’t want that to happen is brutal. But that’s life. The Cardinals paid Rosen well. Dolphins are getting him virtually free

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good stuff.. liked the fact he already has a good grip on life at the age of 22. Him realizing just how good he already has it is pretty special for a guy his age. Very cool..

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When Keim said that Rosen "is the QB for now," wasn't he immediately depressing Rosen's trade value? Nothing makes sense here regardless of how you feel about keeping/dumping Rosen.
I really don't understand how putting out signals that Rosen might be available in trade depresses his trade value MORE than calling teams up and telling them he's available. In fact calling teams up makes it seem like you're more desperate to get rid of him. :shrug:

...dave

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
What I don't really understand -- but I hope the media somehow uncovers -- is why they didn't put Rosen on the market earlier. Based on everything they've said, it doesn't appear that they were looking to trade out of No. 1, and they could have and should have recognized much earlier that that wasn't going to happen long before the draft. So if they were always going to take Murray, why didn't they explore the trade? What was to be gained? When Keim said that Rosen "is the QB for now," wasn't he immediately depressing Rosen's trade value? Nothing makes sense here regardless of how you feel about keeping/dumping Rosen.

Steve Keim has said in many interviews they didn't know for sure. After they did due diligence on Kyler, at the very end is when they decided on him. Is that the truth? Only he knows.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I really don't understand how putting out signals that Rosen might be available in trade depresses his trade value MORE than calling teams up and telling them he's available. In fact calling teams up makes it seem like you're more desperate to get rid of him. :shrug:

...dave

But then they would've tipped their hand on who they were drafting. They either had not decided, or wanted to keep it very quiet.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
The Dov Klieman tweet should put the nonsense to bed about nobody wanting Rosen.Since Cards had no leverage GMs were trying to get something for as little as possible.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If I were in their shoes I’d have hoped to trade the #1 to the raiders for them to take Bosa. Or even to the Niners (admittedly low chance of such a trade within division). At 4 I’d land Murray and walk away with another #1 or more. If they were shopping Rosen prior everyone would know they are taking Murray and no one would have to trade up to get the defender they wanted. At least that would’ve been my logic.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This is what I don't understand, Keim gets bashed for not shopping Rosen earlier but when he sorta puts out the message that Rosen could be available he hurts his trade value. Who didn't know that the Cards very well may draft Murray and therefore Rosen would be available for trade?

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unprecedented jerking around of a player. I now love Kyler Murray, but the fact that Rosen offered to stay in town and try to beat out Murray and the Cards didn’t want that to happen is brutal. But that’s life. The Cardinals paid Rosen well. Dolphins are getting him virtually free

This is how rumors and bad information gets started. The Agent said the Cards didn't want Rosen to win the QB battle, he was trying to read the Cardinals FO minds.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Dov Klieman tweet should put the nonsense to bed about nobody wanting Rosen.Since Cards had no leverage GMs were trying to get something for as little as possible.

GM's are ALWAYS trying to get the player they want for less. If multiple GM's wanted Rosen then that's leverage for the Cards.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But then they would've tipped their hand on who they were drafting. They either had not decided, or wanted to keep it very quiet.
That's just the thing - how do you try to trade Rosen without tipping your hand that you're planning to draft Murray?

...dbs