Should Gannon be one and done…

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
You might be right about him failing but not about the Eagles firing him. They tried to offer him head coaching money to stay. The fans might have wanted him gone, but Howie Roseman and Nick Sirianni did not. I think the soft zone/no blitz defense Gannon ran with the Eagles will always be unpopular with fans, no matter how effective it is. Here's Sirianni defending Gannon back in January.

Sirianni basically says that Gannon's soft zone was the type of defense he asked him to run.

“When you're kind of getting on Gannon about the completions or something like that, I want you to get on me, it’s what I want you to do, too,” Sirianni told Cataldi. “My whole thing that I preach here is about winning the double positive. And what does that mean? Winning the turnover battle while also winning the explosive play battle."

But that is besides the point. Gannon is no longer a coordinator. What matters now is that he's smart, organized, and can motivate his players to play their best.
Oh man, I really, really hope it was all Sirianni's preference and that we don't run a soft zone/no blitz defense. I hate passive D, and we don't have the monster defensive personnel to make that approach anything other than a passive D. And we won't have the personnel for that for years.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I actually think the Cardinals will be equally bad, and the Cardinals will receive backlash when they retain him because they let Wilks go after one bad year.

Arealist

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
…If he has a Wilk’s like year? Because if he does and isn’t fired then it makes Wilk’s lawsuit more credible.

All the reports make it seem like this is shaping up to the the worst team in Cardinal’s history and that’s says a lot about this team and franchise.

A DC who lost the superbowl. An undersized qb who is coming back an ACL injury and from his worst year ever prior to the injury. Bad FA market. Makeshift offensive line with some promising candidates. Defensive line ZERO pass rush ON PAPER.

Wilks didn’t have a lot going into that season either. A bad qb at the start and a rookie qb who took over who was an all-time bust. He didn’t help himself either by not adjusting schemes and had to rely on the most boring OC of all time to get through. I see similarities between this season and Wilk’s.

I agree. Also the tremendous youth hired to some coaching positions will get exposed. Excuses will fly all season long but in the end we will have returned to be the easy game on all teams schedule that play against us. So hard to be a fan here. Even harder being a season ticket holder.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Of course you do. What does "playing like a team" look like in the context of a 4-13 season?

Wilks' roster was pretty bad. Sam Bradford was bad; Josh Rosen was bad. David Johnson was washed. He still underperformed the talent level, though.

KK wasn't a "total disaster." It ended in one, though.
Avoiding penalties and mental mistakes is a start. If you're outmatched physically, there's not a lot Gannon can do about that, but if they can at least not beat themselves and not look lost on the field, that will be a step in the right direction and also point to the fact he can coach. Wilks was lost and his team looked lost on the field.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Avoiding penalties and mental mistakes is a start. If you're outmatched physically, there's not a lot Gannon can do about that, but if they can at least not beat themselves and not look lost on the field, that will be a step in the right direction and also point to the fact he can coach. Wilks was lost and his team looked lost on the field.
What does this mean? How does it show up on the stat sheet?

The 2018 Arizona Cardinals under Steve Wilks were 23rd in penalties.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
This is so heck to the no. Young coach, a defensive minded young coach. I think he survives and becomes a face here. This hire feels pro, all of it. We saw his work. Kingsbury had college tape.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
One and done? I'll let you know if Colt pulls a Sam Bradford against the Bears.

Redrage

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Oh man, I really, really hope it was all Sirianni's preference and that we don't run a soft zone/no blitz defense. I hate passive D, and we don't have the monster defensive personnel to make that approach anything other than a passive D. And we won't have the personnel for that for years.
This.

I get sick of the excuses we hear from some coaches, "When don't have the players to take chances."

Teams with huge holes should take more risks. Nothing is more tedious than watching a team that can't get pressure with 4 refuse to blitz.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This.

I get sick of the excuses we hear from some coaches, "When don't have the players to take chances."

Teams with huge holes should take more risks. Nothing is more tedious than watching a team that can't get pressure with 4 refuse to blitz.
Well last year Vance was top 3 in the league in blitz percentage, chances are Gannon is going to be a lot more conservative.

Last edited:

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't expect success, but I do expect progress. I want to see the team competing hard all four quarters. I want to see the culture change. I want to see player development. I want to see competent coaching and schemes. There's a lot to watch for.
I’m sorry, I’m a Cardinals fan…what is “success?”

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
This team isn’t winning 3 games next year. You’re just kidding yourself if you think that’s not true.

Gannon won’t be fired because they’ll sell the total rebuild on next years draft.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This team isn’t winning 3 games next year. You’re just kidding yourself if you think that’s not true.

Gannon won’t be fired because they’ll sell the total rebuild on next years draft.
Yup. And then they’ll sell poor performance in 2024 on rookie QB/not being able to build around him because of Kyler’s deal.

This is the NEP failed leadership playbook.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose