Shock-Mercury WNBA Finals

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Congrats. Looks like trading the #1 pick overall was a good move.

spikecop02

Registered
Reaction score
its burried on Azcentral,it probaly be on the the third or fourth page of the paper tommorow, so stupid. Good Job Mercury!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Look out Suns the best B ball team in AZ may be the Mercury.
Congratulations to Ann Meyers-Drysdale and Paul Westhead, who recognized that both defense AND rebounding would have to step up to capitalize on a team with 3 superstars.

Yes, if only the Suns would not only recognize it, but do it.

How about if GM Meyers-Drysdale and Head Coach Paul Westhead switch places with Steve Kerr and Mike D'Antoni. I mean, right now. :)

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Congratulations to Ann Meyers-Drysdale and Paul Westhead, who recognized that both defense AND rebounding would have to step up to capitalize on a team with 3 superstars.

Yes, if only the Suns would not only recognize it, but do it.

How about if GM Meyers-Drysdale and Head Coach Paul Westhead switch places with Steve Kerr and Mike D'Antoni. I mean, right now. :)

Don't forget Lute Olson's granddaughter Julie Brase.

Yotesfan85044

Registered
Reaction score
I suppose their won't be a parade for the Mercury, since it would be very small...but I wonder if they'll have some sort of welcome home event/celebration for them.

Found this on the Mercury website..

"Join fans from across the Valley at Sky Harbor Airport at noon on Monday, Sept. 17 to welcome your team back from Detroit. The team will arrive on US Airways flight #476 in Terminal 4, Concourse A.* Fans can gather just outside security checkpoints to greet the team."

I would hope they have a more proper celebration in the works for their fans. I can't imagine they'll have much of a turnout at the airport at noon on a workday.

OP
OP
N

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I just got done watching this game. I'm so happy for the Mercury. Taurasi, Taylor and especially Pondexter were great. They represented Phoenix well. #1 baby! :) I just hope Penny Taylor returns. With this group, multiple championships will be on there way to AZ. :eek:

Phoe-nix Bas-ket-ball!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
YEEHAW!!!

Three titles down, two to go (Suns and Arizona Cardinals) - I enjoyed the Wildcats, Mercury, and D'Backs Championships!!! yess

OP
OP
N

Nasser22

Reaction score
Psh, Wildcats don't count... :-/

You mean da Rattlers! Arena football champs: '94 and '97

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
hahhah I meant the Teams I root for and maybe there's going to be a Mercury smiley face now available on this board!!! yess

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im not at all trying to talk smack about the WBNA.. But you gotta wonder just how popular womens basketball is when a team wins the championship and it doesnt even make top billing on the sports page.. I want it to be good, but I gotta question it somewhat.. Is this a Dbacks championship or a Rattlers championship?

Like I said not taking it down about them winning, but most the focus in AZ is on the Cards week 2 win..

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Im not at all trying to talk smack about the WBNA.. But you gotta wonder just how popular womens basketball is when a team wins the championship and it doesnt even make top billing on the sports page.. I want it to be good, but I gotta question it somewhat.. Is this a Dbacks championship or a Rattlers championship?

Like I said not taking it down about them winning, but most the focus in AZ is on the Cards week 2 win..
Not only that, but during the game, on the ESPN web site, they had the heading "Shock vs Sun in the WNBA Championship..." with the link to the live score update. :sad:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I was miffed at the AZ Republic for not having a lead story on the Mercury. There is such a great story there. Winning on the road, the curse against Phoenix basketball, the Westhead story, the two leading women on the team, one who has one everything, and one who had never won anything before, the amazing similarity between this team and the brother team in style of play and winning with that style when everyone said they couldn't, etc.

I'm an abnormal fan, admittedly. I've been on the band wagon since day one. I've wondered about the curse since we have had other Mercury teams that came up short when they should have won it all before. I must admit, I thought it was game over when they had to play game 5 in Detroit. I had tears in my eyes when they won in Detroit, just like when the DBacks won against the most dominant closer of the era. It seemed everything was stacked against the Mercury, and they won despite it all. God bless the Mercury! :)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
YEEHAW!!!

Three titles down, two to go (Suns and Arizona Cardinals) - I enjoyed the Wildcats, Mercury, and D'Backs Championships!!! yess

Don't forget the Rattlers! ;) Didn't the Sidewinders win one, too?

OP
OP
N

Nasser22

Reaction score

It was on the front page in the best news paper in the state, the EVT. ;)

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats to the Mercury, who had a nice fan turnout for their celebration (four digits for a weekday morning event isn't bad).

In addition to the Diamondbacks and Rattlers, they join the Phoenix Mustangs (2000, WCHL) and Tucson Sidewinders (1991, 1993, 2006; PCL) as teams who have won league titles. I'm pretty good with the more obscure sports, I don't think any other professional teams in Arizona have won titles.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard