Shock-Mercury WNBA Finals

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
This deserves it's own thread. It's the championship. No need to make it seem meaningless by not giving it it's own thread. The Shock beat the Fever so it means that the Mercury don't have home court, unfortunately, but it should still be a great series.

Game 1: at Detroit, Wednesday, 9/5, 7:30pm ET ESPN2
Game 2: at Detroit, Saturday, 9/8, 3:30pm ET ESPN
Game 3: at Phoenix, Tuesday, 9/11, 9pm ET ESPN2
Game 4*: at Phoenix, Thursday, 9/13, 8:30pm ET ESPN2
Game 5*: at Detroit, Sunday, 9/16, 4:30pm ET ESPN2

My family and I are going to get tickets for Game 3. It should be fun. GO MERCURY!:rockon:

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing I hate about the WBNA and this has nothing to do with nothing but all the teams have names that dont in "s".. Mercury, Shock and Fever.. Dont know why, but it annoys me..

OP
OP
N

Nasser22

Reaction score
One thing I hate about the WBNA and this has nothing to do with nothing but all the teams have names that dont in "s".. Mercury, Shock and Fever.. Dont know why, but it annoys me..

It's because Mercuries, Shocks and Fevers sound painful and sickening.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of that either.

The NBA has 3: Heat, Magic, Jazz

MLS has a bunch.

OP
OP
N

Nasser22

Reaction score
Section 109, Row 17, Game 3 baby!

My first playoff game ever.

SunDevilDon

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of that either.

The NBA has 3: Heat, Magic, Jazz

MLS has a bunch.

How many NCAA teams out of 119 are like that? Used to be around 11 or so, can't remember.

Notre Dame, Tulane, Syracuse, St. Johns, Illinois, Stanford are a few...

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Never have been a WNBA fan - but I have to say that I'm happy for the Mercury. Hell, I may even tune into a game or two. :thumbup:

OP
OP
N

Nasser22

Reaction score
41-35 Shock at the half. Cappie Pondexter and Taurasi have a combined 4 points and Taurasi has four fouls. :( The Mercury led 21-10, but the Shock have owned after those first six minutes. The Mercury did finish the half strong with a 6-0 run helped by two Tangela Smith blocks.

OP
OP
N

Nasser22

Reaction score
The Shock are about to win Game 1. :( This was a must-win for us I think. They needed to take advantage of Detroit after they were worn out in their previous series, but they didn't. I still have hope because Taurasi just had a terrible game today. She's going to bring some more next game and Pondexter struggled too. They really showed their inexperience. And Pondexter almost pulled an Amare...I was like "Oh no, here we go again," but her teammates held her back from breaking Nolan's face in.

Anyway's, very happy with the game. I haven't watched much WNBA for about 5 years, but it was very fun to watch. Lead changes, physical, good offense...can't wait until Saturday.

OP
OP
N

Nasser22

Reaction score
No, it's a best out of 5. Check the first post.

OP
OP
N

Nasser22

Reaction score
Reminder, Game 2 is tomorrow at 12:30 on ESPN. It's really a must-win...can't go down to Detroit 2-0.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never have been a WNBA fan - but I have to say that I'm happy for the Mercury. Hell, I may even tune into a game or two. :thumbup:

Ditto. Actually, I already tuned in.

BTW, the NHL has singular team names as well. The Avalanche, the Wild, the Lightening.

OP
OP
N

Nasser22

Reaction score
Mercury up 8 after the 1st! Taurasi playing well.

OP
OP
N

Nasser22

Reaction score
Mercury are up 48-32 at halftime. Detroit is winning the battle on the boards, but Phoenix just keeps knocking down those 3's. Taurasi has played very well so far. 13 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists and a block. Tangela Smith and Cappie Pondexter are also scoring in double figures, but Penny Taylor is having an off-game. No Detroit players have scored over 8 points yet so there's some good D being played too.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
BLOW OUT!!!!! Taurasi and Smith are on fire!!!

OP
OP
N

Nasser22

Reaction score
Mercury won by 28 and are in a good spot right now. It was nice to see that they didn't let the Shock make a run at the end and carry over the momentum to the next game and going into Game 3, Detroit has been terrible on the road during the playoffs. Game 3 will be huge and I'm happy I'll be able to go. Hopefully they are loud at US Airways on Tuesday.

LavaLamp2

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats to the Mercury.

The Mercury are fun to watch but these games are also interesting because it plays on the perennial question that we ask about the NBA: Can an undersized run n' gun team win against a big, tough, defensive-minded, half-court team? The Mercury offense was hot in Game 2 and their defense was pretty good as well.