Shawn Marion saluted for versatility by USA Today

Nash

Reaction score
USA Today did a statistical analysis of the 2005-06 season for all 5 positions. Shawn Marion's numbers were the best at the SF and PF positions. the link

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
USA Today did a statistical analysis of the 2005-06 season for all 5 positions. Shawn Marion's numbers were the best at the SF and PF positions. the link

Wow. It wasn't even close. He is amazingly versatile. Alot of that has to do with his stamina. He plays hard in all facets, rarely coasting on the floor at all.

Scot1

Registered
Reaction score
Not to take anything away from Marion, but they have a note that Nowitzki was in the top 3 in all 5 categories. They left him out of the list by mistake. If he was 1 or 2 in some of the categories, he'd beat Marion out at PF, or at least be closer than James. Also, they have Nash ranked 25 in Hands among PGs. I realize that lots of assist attempts lead to lots of turnovers, but they don't have a good measure of hands.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
Does anyone else think that was one of the stupidest, most useless articles ever written? I love Shawn Marion, but any stat formula that makes him look 3 and 1/2 times more versatile than LeBron James is WAY too misleading.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Does anyone else think that was one of the stupidest, most useless articles ever written? I love Shawn Marion, but any stat formula that makes him look 3 and 1/2 times more versatile than LeBron James is WAY too misleading.

How does the phrase go... "there are Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics..."

I just like to see Marion get love nationally. He is paid well, but underrated in the eyes of the 'East-Coast' press. If he played for the NY Knicks he would... wait, nevermind.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
the PF ranking used the exact same players as it did for the SF one. No Duncan no Dirk no Oneal, no Garrnett...

To use winning % as a stat to find versatility is dumb... They messed up.

But Marion is still a stud.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
To input personal fouls into your formula for ranking "hands" is dumb. What does fouling someone have to do with your ability to pass or hold on to the ball?

:doi:

nowagimp

Reaction score
Not to take anything away from Marion, but they have a note that Nowitzki was in the top 3 in all 5 categories. They left him out of the list by mistake. If he was 1 or 2 in some of the categories, he'd beat Marion out at PF, or at least be closer than James. Also, they have Nash ranked 25 in Hands among PGs. I realize that lots of assist attempts lead to lots of turnovers, but they don't have a good measure of hands.
This is obviously some aggregate bullcrap statistic made up by an idle(and perhaps empty) mind. However, Matrix has to be one of the most versatile players in the NBA(top 10?). The only things Marion is not that good at is taking his man off the dribble and dishing. Marion, a 35% 3pt shooter, a higher pct 3's than Lebron and equal to Prince who is one of the most versatile players as well. Marion defends 3 positions(2,3,4, sometimes 1), ballhawks in the passing lanes as good as anyone, rebounds extremely well, runs great on the break, and is one of the best at receiving a lob inside. Lebron is way better than Marion off the dribble, and a decent(not Diaw) passer, but is not as good at all these other things as Marion. Lebron has a rep for being too slow on D to guard the faster 3's let alone 2's and 1's. As far as Dirk, he's a defensive hole in on-ball defense, though his team D has gotten better. For versatility, I also like Elton Brand, though he doesnt ball hawk much. Elton is an outstanding defender, scorer and now has developed a good passing touch. Kobe is another player who is very versatile as is DWade.

mathbzh

Registered
Reaction score
Where is 3D? The only player in the league who can play the 5 spots. Statistics are not so good to show how versatile a player is.
Whatever, this is cool for the matrix.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard