Serenity aka the Firefly movie

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Woo, wife got me "Serenity" for Christmas....can't wait to watch it again...

Mike

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way, you can now get the Firefly TV series for like $22 on the net at some places, like Amazon I guess.

Mike

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What's great about the show, IMO, is the little things, especially how it's the only science-fiction (with the exception of 2001: A Space Odyssey) that actually has some realism in outer space--you can't hear engines rumbling or anything on those exterior shots, which of course is what would actually happen since sound can't travel in a vaccum. For some reason, that really stood out to me from the first episode. Very cool.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
What's great about the show, IMO, is the little things, especially how it's the only science-fiction (with the exception of 2001: A Space Odyssey) that actually has some realism in outer space--you can't hear engines rumbling or anything on those exterior shots, which of course is what would actually happen since sound can't travel in a vaccum. For some reason, that really stood out to me from the first episode. Very cool.

Yeah, I always thought that was unique too, and stood out for me...

Mike

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
i finally got a chance to watch serenity and i liked it. i think i liked firefly (the tv show) better though. it kinda sucked that the movie didn't directly follow where the show left off. i understand the the movie needed to stand alone to attract an audience who hadn't seen firefly, but i think serenity would have been better if it was a made for tv movie that catered to those who had seen the show. the shepard left so many questions unanswered, and the two by two with hands of blue just kinda went away. i also didn't like the relationship between mal and simon (and river) in the movie, it was completely diferent than in the tv show. simon as a whole was alot different between the movie and the tv show. hopefully sci-fi channel picks up the show or at least makes a couple of made for tv movies. even if they do though, the shepard and all his mystery is forever gone. i also don't think any future movies (or shows) will be as good without a very key character(leaf in the wind) that would not be in future shows.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
offset said:
i finally got a chance to watch serenity and i liked it. i think i liked firefly (the tv show) better though. it kinda sucked that the movie didn't directly follow where the show left off. i understand the the movie needed to stand alone to attract an audience who hadn't seen firefly, but i think serenity would have been better if it was a made for tv movie that catered to those who had seen the show. the shepard left so many questions unanswered, and the two by two with hands of blue just kinda went away. i also didn't like the relationship between mal and simon (and river) in the movie, it was completely diferent than in the tv show. simon as a whole was alot different between the movie and the tv show. hopefully sci-fi channel picks up the show or at least makes a couple of made for tv movies. even if they do though, the shepard and all his mystery is forever gone. i also don't think any future movies (or shows) will be as good without a very key character(leaf in the wind) that would not be in future shows.

Well, I'm pretty sure we're seen the last movie/tv show for Firefly....Joss Whedon has said that it's over.

But I agree a little...some things were different...but I also think time passed, and Mal had learned more about River, etc...so the relationships had changed.

As far as Shepherd Book....who knows...not sure his story was so great...but would have been nice to know what his past was.

Mike

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

That's similar to my standard joke/question about Star Trek. If warp is the speed of light and they're going warp 5 all the time, how come when they shoot the enemy with a phaser going the speed of light, they don't run right into their own shot?

The standard answer is because they're firing on the move, the pulse of light is going the speed of light PLUS whatever speed they're going. I used to drive my dad nuts with questions like that when I was a kid.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Serenity And Beyond
Exclusive: Whedon on Firefly's future

Browncoats around the world cried out in despair when, due to an underwhelming performance at the box office, Joss Whedon announced that the saga of Serenity had ended. No sequels, no follow-ups, no hope. But Whedon isn't a man to let his brain-child die; the man's already resuscitated the franchise once and there's still hope for a third coming.

"A sequel's unlikely," Whedon told Empire with a note of clear regret, "but it's amazing what permutations of something can happen." But if not a theatrical encore, that leaves... yes, you guessed it, a possible return to the smaller screen. "As long as I was able to service the characters with integrity and had enough money so that I wasn't hampered, then I would love to return Serenity to TV. I love that universe; it continues and those characters live on. There could be a series, there could be a miniseries, there could be all sorts of things. I'm not ruling anything out. I'll let it simmer for a while and see if anyone calls."

As for why the film failed to rake in the cash despite uniformly glowing reviews, according to Whedon it's all in the presentation. "It's a question of marketing ultimately. The fact that I like to dance around genres with gay abandon has worked to my disadvantage. Nobody knows exactly how to market anything I do because it usually has so much in it. It has a diffuseness because of it's origin that keeps it from being the easy sell. Some people also said that you can't call an action movie 'Serenity' but I think that's still okay. What was I going to call it? 'Big Smash Bang With Boobies'? Which was, of course my second choice."

DVD sales should, however, put Serenity back in the black and when the bucks start rolling in we can only hope that one of the suits at Universal looks at the numbers, adds the success of the Firefly DVD box set and greenlights a return for Captain Reynolds and his crew. Until that time we advise Whedon to keep his phone switched on.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
nm132 said:
Some people also said that you can't call an action movie 'Serenity' but I think that's still okay. What was I going to call it? 'Big Smash Bang With Boobies'? Which was, of course my second choice."

:biglaugh:

What is even more funny is the fact that he just may be right.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Chaplin said:

The new Battle Star Galactica is similiar in realism as well.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PortlandCardFan said:
The new Battle Star Galactica is similiar in realism as well.

I just watched the mini-series and plan on renting season 1 shortly...

Mike

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Didn't know anything about the show or movie, but a friend recommended I go see it. My wife and I loved it. We went out and bought the TV show on DVD and got the movie now that it's out.
We'd love to see a new TV series.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Anyone know the $$ for DVD sales on Serenity? Or am I gonna have to google it?

Just watched it again last night I still fail to see why it only made $25mil.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Finally saw Serenity, and it was fabulous. Some great character moments and the effects were terrific. It had a great villain, and had the right amount of suspense, especially where River was concerned.

Plus, the women in the movie are damn hot.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
PortlandCardFan said:
Just watched it again last night I still fail to see why it only made $25mil.

I haven't bought the DVD because every place I go to, it's $30. Great movie though, just not worth that kind of money.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I just watched it. I had never seen the TV show, but the movie was really cool. It was actually pretty funny for a sci-fi movie.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Finally saw Serenity, and it was fabulous. Some great character moments and the effects were terrific. It had a great villain, and had the right amount of suspense, especially where River was concerned.

Plus, the women in the movie are damn hot.

Heh, never saw this post...glad you liked it Chap!

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
To those 2-3 fans holding out hope, I'm afraid they've been dashed. Writer/director Joss Whedon has finally confirmed that there will never be a "Serenity" sequel writes Slashfilm.

"There's no sequel, no secret project regarding Serenity or somesuch and I'm not even sure how anyone thought there was talk there. So let's put that to bed and smother it with a pillow" says Whedon.

Serenity was a 2005 science fiction western film set in the universe of the cancelled Fox television series "Firefly". Including it's home video release, "Serenity" has still yet to come close to earning back it's $39 million budget.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just watched the movie. I am hooked.

I am planning on buying the TV DVD set.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members