Serenity aka the Firefly movie

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, some of you may have watched the series that lasted not even a season, yet earned such a huge fan base that they are making it into a movie.

Joss Whedon, who did Buff, was the creator...it was such a good show, I recommend getting or renting the DVD's of the show.

Anyways, the movie comes out this year and I'm pumped.

You must be registered for see images

Mike

Hordispack

Veteran
Reaction score
Wasn't that the name of a Kevin Costner movie where his wife was a doctor who died??

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hordispack said:
Wasn't that the name of a Kevin Costner movie where his wife was a doctor who died??

That was Dragonfly or something...

Mike

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what was firefly the show about?

i also see tim minnear's name in there... he wrote a few eps of the X-Files..

hmm!!

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Never heard of it. What's the plot?

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it actually sounds a little cheesy or something at first, but it grew on me...the characters were really awesome...

Basically Firefly is the type of ship these guys fly in...it's called Serenity.

There is a captain, and a crew, and some passengers that tag along...

Mostly they are sort of criminals, but good people at heart. They do jobs, steal from people to make money and keep the ship flying.

Anyways, it's pretty funny, writing is clever, etc. There is also a sort of underlying plot (sort of like the X-files mythology) about a girl onboard who is sort of special, and how she escaped from the government with her brother's help, and they are running from them basically.

I believe the movie will focus a lot on that part of the plot.

The cheese part of it is that it's sort of a "western" out in space...the music is sort of westerish, they sometimes are move sheep as cargo, they've ridden horses, they get into fights in bars or saloons on the edge of space, etc...

But it's really not as cheese as it sounds...the humor and writing is so good.

Mike

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's kind of interesting that the show has a sort of mixture of sci-fi advanced stuff, like lasers, spaceships, etc...with a sort of old west style...trains, horses, etc...old towns.

Also, the neat thing was that the special effects of the show were very different from your normal Star Trek stuff...since space is a vacuum with no air, sound does not travel through it...yet in every sci-fi show, all you hear is the sounds of lasers in space, etc.

This show for the most part has like no sounds when you are viewing the ship outside...

It's just a different feel to it...

Mike

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Never saw the show, and some of the effects look a little unrealistic, but all in all it looks pretty sweet.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AzCards21 said:
Never heard of it. What's the plot?

Whedon's Serenity
Source: Universal Pictures
April 26, 2005

Writer/director Joss Whedon's Serenity, starring Nathan Fillion, Gina Torres, Alan Tudyk, Morena Baccarin, Adam Baldwin, Jewel Staite, Sean Maher, Summer Glau, Ron Glass and Chiwetel Ejiofor. The sci-fi action-adventure, based on Whedon's Firefly TV series, is opening on September 30.

Set 500 years in the future, Serenity centers around Captain Malcolm Reynolds (Fillion), a hardened veteran (on the losing side) of a galactic civil war, who now ekes out a living pulling off small crimes and transport-for-hire aboard his ship, Serenity. He leads a small, eclectic crew who are the closest thing he has left to family - squabbling, insubordinate and undyingly loyal.

When Mal takes on two new passengers-a young doctor and his unstable, telepathic sister-he gets much more than he bargained for. The pair are fugitives from the coalition dominating the universe, who will stop at nothing to reclaim the girl. The crew that was once used to skimming the outskirts of the galaxy unnoticed find themselves caught between the unstoppable military force of the Universal Alliance and the horrific, cannibalistic fury of the Reavers, savages who roam the very edge of space. Hunted by vastly different enemies, they begin to discover that the greatest danger to them may be on board Serenity herself.

:cool:

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Never saw the show, and some of the effects look a little unrealistic, but all in all it looks pretty sweet.

Judging that from a trailer seems crazy :)

Rent the DVD's...would be really good to see that before the movie...I think.

Mike

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a little bothered by them showing River kick so much butt in the previews, but oh well...

Anyways, my biggest hope from the movie is that it makes then turn it back into a TV show :)

Mike

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Serenity Fanfest at Universal Studios

Source: Universal Studios Hollywood

Universal Studios Hollywood is reaching out to movie fans, science fiction enthusiasts and fans of Universal Pictures new "sci-fi western" SERENITY and its preceding TV series "Firefly" (also known as "Browncoats") with "SERENITY Fan Fest" on September 24, 2005. Fans will have the chance to meet the film's stars, view clips and behind-the-scenes footage from the film, meet the special effects team behind the film's striking visual imagery as well as the film's writer/director, Joss Whedon.

The "SERENITY Fan Fest" will take place inside the theme park and will feature a cast Q&A from 2:00 - 3:00 p.m., followed by an autograph session from 3:30 - 4:30 p.m. with many of the film's stars including Summer Glau (River Tam), Adam Baldwin (Jayne Cobb), Morena Baccarin (Inara Serra) and Whedon, the Oscar®- and Emmy-nominated writer/director responsible for the worldwide television phenomena of "Buffy The Vampire Slayer," "Angel" and "Firefly."

Visual effects supervisor Loni Peristere of Zoic Studios (SERENITY, "Battlestar Galactica," SPIDER-MAN 2 and VAN HELSING) will discuss the process of creating visuals for a world set 500 years in the future with a rare look at various stages of visual effects production.

Browncoat loyalists will also have the opportunity to view authentic movie props including the 14-foot MULE hovercraft and enjoy behind-the-scenes footage from the futuristic action-adventure film.

The "SERENITY Fan Fest" is included with general admission to the movie-based theme park. Admission tickets are available at a $15 discount ($38.00) with an exclusive "SERENITY Fan Fest" downloadable coupon at http://www.universalstudioshollywood.com/serenityfanfest/ Tickets are limited and all events operate on a first come, first serve basis and are subject to change.

SERENITY opens nationwide on September 30.

Universal Studios Hollywood is a world-class theme park and entertainment destination. Situated upon 415-acres, Universal Studios combines an authentic working movie and television studio with cutting-edge experience that employs the latest in state-of-the-art technologies.

Universal Studios Hollywood is a unit of Universal Parks & Resorts, a division of Universal Studios, Universal Studios is a part of NBC Universal.

NBC Universal is one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. Formed in May 2004 through the combining of NBC and Vivendi Universal Entertainment, NBC Universal owns and operates the No. 1 television network, the fastest-growing Spanish-language network, a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, and world-renowned theme parks. NBC Universal is 80%-owned by General Electric, with 20% controlled by Vivendi Universal.

Joss Whedon- the Oscar®- and Emmy-nominated writer/director responsible for the worldwide television phenomena of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel -now applies his trademark compassion and wit to a small band of galactic outcasts 500 years in the future in his feature film directorial debut, Serenity .

The film centers around Captain Malcolm Reynolds, a hardened veteran (on the losing side) of a galactic civil war, who now ekes out a living pulling off small crimes and transport-for-hire aboard his ship, Serenity. He leads a small, eclectic crew who are the closest thing he has left to family - squabbling, insubordinate and undyingly loyal.

When Mal takes on two new passengers-a young doctor and his unstable, telepathic sister-he gets much more than he bargained for. The pair are fugitives from the coalition dominating the universe, who will stop at nothing to reclaim the girl. The crew that was once used to skimming the outskirts of the galaxy unnoticed find themselves caught between the unstoppable military force of the Universal Alliance and the horrific, cannibalistic fury of the Reavers, savages who roam the very edge of space. Hunted by vastly different enemies, they begin to discover that the greatest danger to them may be on board Serenity herself.

Universal Pictures Presents A Barry Mendel Production of A Joss Whedon Film: Serenity , starring Nathan Fillion, Alan Tudyk, Adam Baldwin, Summer Glau and Chiwetel Ejiofor. The music is by David Newman. The costume designer is Ruth Carter. The editor is Lisa Lassek; the production designer, Barry Chusid; the director of photography, Jack Green ASC. The executive producers are Christopher Buchanan, David Lester and Alisa Tager. Serenity is produced by Barry Mendel. It is written and directed by Joss Whedon.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sci-Fi is doing a Marathon today of Firefly episodes...

In case anyone else is curious they are playing
12:00 PM SERENITY - PT 1
01:00 PM FIREFLY SERENITY - PT 2
02:00 PM FIREFLY THE TRAIN JOB
03:00 PM FIREFLY BUSHWHACKED
04:00 PM FIREFLY SHINDIG
05:00 PM FIREFLY SAFE
06:00 PM FIREFLY OUR MRS. REYNOLDS
07:00 PM FIREFLY JAYNESTOWN
08:00 PM FIREFLY OUT OF GAS
09:00 PM FIREFLY ARIEL

Not sure if the times are EST or not...and there is supposed to be a Serenity special on afterwards.

Mike

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I've seen the previews several times (never saw the shows). I've had several people tell me how awesome the TV show is, and that the movie looks good, but I'm sorry...the trailer is weak as hell. Yes, I know, if I had ONLY watched the trailer, I'd have never seen Boondock Saints, but still. It just doens't look any good.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout said:
I've seen the previews several times (never saw the shows). I've had several people tell me how awesome the TV show is, and that the movie looks good, but I'm sorry...the trailer is weak as hell. Yes, I know, if I had ONLY watched the trailer, I'd have never seen Boondock Saints, but still. It just doens't look any good.

The trailer isn't the best in the world, that is for sure...

For Firefly fans, it's good, cause they know what is going on, what parts are funny, etc...

But even for me, I think it could be better.

Mike

Stout

Reaction score
I've seen it before. It still looks like a bad, cheesy sci-fi flick. Looks like if it turns out as good as it might be, it can be as good as the Fifth Element (fun, but not a great movie). If not, well, it'll be just baaaad.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout said:
I've seen it before. It still looks like a bad, cheesy sci-fi flick. Looks like if it turns out as good as it might be, it can be as good as the Fifth Element (fun, but not a great movie). If not, well, it'll be just baaaad.

There are at ton of good reviews out there already, granted, many by fans of the show...

Go watch the show first...rent the DVD's...

Mike

Stout

Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
There are at ton of good reviews out there already, granted, many by fans of the show...

Go watch the show first...rent the DVD's...

Mike

Nah, my friends will probably talk me into watching it at the theater, so we'll see.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout said:
Nah, my friends will probably talk me into watching it at the theater, so we'll see.

Yeah, but if you're going to watch it, may as well see what it's all about first :)

It's only like 9 episodes or so...

Mike

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard